BTW, for those of you who actually watched that silly "medical investigations" show, the NIH has no field staff. That's us at CDC.
Isn't that stupid? How hard would it have been to get that right?
But aside from mad cow disease, what about things that you get from regular germy things? Aren't you more likely to catch them from a closely related species?
I would say that you are most likely to catch something directly from another person. That's the most regular, and most germy thing you come into contact with every day.
Especially a closely related, undercooked species?
That's true when you consider that a close species is more like us - so the conditions for the germ to fluorish would be similar. HIV is thought to have made a species jump from another primate species to man. Flu also often comes from pigs, through fowl and into man. (Pigs could be argued to be 'somewhat closely related'; we have used pig skin, heart valves and insulin in humans for years.) However, we don't generally cook and eat 'closely related' species so this question, is happily, relatively spurious.
Another example I can think of is Tubeculosis in the late 1800s passed to children through unpasteurized milk products. In this case, it was often the species of TB known as M. bovis. I would not call cows 'closely related' to man.
I am concerned, Ms. Wombat, about your obsession with cooking and eating closely related species. Something you want to tell us about?