Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th  (Read 14765 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« on: September 17, 2004, 05:13:57 am »

LADY BLUMPKINS?

EDIT: Because this comic was actually a PM update, with PM meaning "AM of tomorrow", I put down the date of the day it went up, not the day it is supposed to represent in the Achewood chronology. Still, it could be worse: we could all be reading PVP.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 08:16:09 am »

i say this now because it is true:

this is a crappy strip.

blah blah i know it's free, shouldn't complain, etc., but i've never, ever, been so anti before. i think it's because ray is strangely out of character. it's fuck*ng with me.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 12:40:46 pm »

I'm really confused by Ray. Why is he playing the rational one?

This is funny in concept, but I sort of can't get into it. At all.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »

I thought this one was hilarious.

That is all.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 12:58:08 pm »

Well, you'd better learn to like it, because it's all you're getting until the twenty-seventh.

I actually thought this was pretty good for a few reasons: Ray's trying to be all earnest and infomercial about this new brewmaster role and Beef won't stop with his half-serious mumbly-mouthed blue-skying. "Ottawa Modified Death" feels like a potential analogue or at least compliment for / to "due to punishment". And Beef didn't use that fuck*ng clumsy "such as" when he meant "like".

Who drinks a beer with clove aftertaste, though? Goths?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 01:23:42 pm »

I can't tell whether I just enjoyed it because it mentioned Ottawa, which is like an hour from where I grew up.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 01:27:43 pm »

Apparently Ray gets all serious and defensive when you mock his pretentiousness. Or when he cuts himself on the sour cream lid because it's the only thing in his fridge. Good to know.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 01:33:02 pm »

that cats who stand up on hind-legs and can talk are funny and make me laff.  

i'd imagine (which i can, because i apparently share several "traits" with r. beef) that being friends with Roast Beef for as long as Ray Smuckles has, would at some points in time try one's patience (and, indeed, vice versa i'm sure).

"will you just taste the beer?", indeed Ray, indeed.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 02:01:20 pm »

After an hour's solemn reflection, I think I like this better than I did earlier. It's still a little incongruent (why isn't Ray raving about how precisely you "modified kill" a deer?), but there's at least a lot of funny concepts here.

also: "lady-blumpkins" in the alt text. What to say about that? I don't know.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 03:54:37 pm »

I think I've just changed my band name to Ottawa Modified Death.
That is all.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 04:01:35 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
also: "lady-blumpkins" in the alt text. What to say about that? I don't know.


Hmmm, the less the better I would imagine.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 04:05:20 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
"Ottawa Modified Death" feels like a potential analogue or at least compliment for / to "due to punishment".


Given Beef's previous discussions regarding the sport of killing men, perhaps his schitzophrenia is getting the best of him.

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
And Beef didn't use that fuck*ng clumsy "such as" when he meant "like".


I am SO fuck*ng tired of that. I didn't really notice it until I saw it pointed out here. Now I can't stand it.

"Such as rheumetism" my ass.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 06:33:16 pm »

Oh man, you think just READING it makes you irritated - I tried using it in polite CONVERSATION a couple of months ago and it made people visibly uncomfortable.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 07:03:28 pm »

The concepts are funny but the characters are out of character.

Onstad on another 11 day hiatus. I should be self-employed. He should be pricing all his merchandise by the Euro for all the time off he gives himself. Not that he isn't entitled to it. But unless he's in rehab or chemo, it's tough to respect.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 07:20:07 pm »

Dang!  How does he afford to do this?  This webcomic gig must be pretty lucrative.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up