Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th  (Read 14734 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2004, 10:51:33 pm »

I'm mostly with August; I read a lot of comics and I don's see most of them taking off more than once in a year, and in those instances, the good ones still give you content you haven's seen before. Scary Go Round was still pretty good even when Allison did his American Tour.

He wouldn't be shipping books 8 hours a day without content. The content should be more important than the products based on the content, right? It seems to me that even he should concentrate on content because anyone can ship books for him but only he can write and draw the strip.

It's capitalism at work though, so if he sloughs off and the strip turns to shit or he decides to run reruns for a year while he backpacks in Nepal, then it dies of natural causes. I'm sure he understands the consequences of offending his fanbase.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2004, 01:12:59 pm »

His request on the last day of a new strip to "check the blogs" hasn't proven very fruitful, either - the last time any of them were updated was September 14th, and many haven't been updated since several days before that.

I'm pretty wishy-washy on the whole thing - lord only knows I've left the readers of my website hanging for periods of time a lot longer than a week. But on the other hand, I don't spend a lot of time asking them to buy things from me. If he's comfortable with bringing the whole machine to a halt for weeks at a time, then that's his call. But I'm sure at some point he'll see the diminshing fanbase that's a result of that. People who are into the strip enough to seek out a place to discuss it with others will probably always be around. But the casual readers will move on.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2004, 02:51:22 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
This does not prevent him from shilling as if income from his comic was the only thing standing between his family of eight and death in the snow


I swear I really cannot recall Onstad ever doing anything of the kind.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2004, 03:06:34 pm »

Are you kidding?  Have you never noticed the huge

BUY BUY BUY MY CHEAP CRAP, CONSUMERS!?

No?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being a whore - Onstad just seems to be especially self-flagellating about it.

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2004, 08:41:40 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Nobody said he couldn't take a vacation.  Acting like a professional and creating a backlog of strips before you publish them would allow him to take a break without interrupting his publishing schedule.  And there's a big difference between taking a couple of weeks a year off, or even a six month sabbatical every decade and the erratic way Onstad publishes.


Ah, but that's just the thing. I don't have a big backlog of frozen strips - I create each one every new day when I am inspired. I don't like having content in a stable, I can't work that way. I put it up fresh as soon as it's done. I get a lot of grief for working the way I do, but there is no alternative. I am sorry you can not count on seeing a new one every day, but I am just the one man. I don't pretend to be Universal Press Syndicate, foisting dead ink. Consider Achewood a 'zine. Pretend you have leather ##### on, and there is a lady nearby, and she likes Suicidal Tendencies. You are going to have  such great sex tonight.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2004, 02:52:43 pm »

Okay, who's posing as Onstad?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2004, 03:23:37 pm »

Quote from: "c_onstad"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Nobody said he couldn't take a vacation.  Acting like a professional and creating a backlog of strips before you publish them would allow him to take a break without interrupting his publishing schedule.  And there's a big difference between taking a couple of weeks a year off, or even a six month sabbatical every decade and the erratic way Onstad publishes.


Ah, but that's just the thing. I don't have a big backlog of frozen strips - I create each one every new day when I am inspired. I don't like having content in a stable, I can't work that way. I put it up fresh as soon as it's done. I get a lot of grief for working the way I do, but there is no alternative. I am sorry you can not count on seeing a new one every day, but I am just the one man. I don't pretend to be Universal Press Syndicate, foisting dead ink. Consider Achewood a 'zine. Pretend you have leather ****** on, and there is a lady nearby, and she likes Suicidal Tendencies. You are going to have  such great sex tonight.


Ok "Chris".  Whatever.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2004, 05:00:12 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Okay, who's posing as Onstad?


Some idiot from Virginia who was probably inspired by that fake Tarantino blog.  I don't know whether to just delete his account and posts and pretend that this never happened, or just wait and see if he'll try to come up with proof or something.

I say if he loves this message board so much, post a link to it on Achewood.com.  That would convince me.

agnes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fireland.com/
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2004, 10:55:42 pm »

So OK I'm not 100% clear on the cuntiness here. I know there was some blowout at Dumbrella which was before my time -- but was it something terrible enough to account for this weirdly severe irritation that comes out when Achewood goes on vacation or runs a rerun or puts up something sub-par or late in the day or asks for money?

I've never known fans to have such disgust for the creator of something they're fans of, especially when that something is given away for free. The reactions seem way overboard and I'm wondering if there's a devastating or maybe heartbreaking backstory that would explain it. Oh I hope so that would rule!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2004, 10:59:32 pm »

Well, my remarks above were directed at a hypothetical idiot whom I imagined was posting as Onstad without actually being Onstad.

I've never viewed it as disgust as much as chagrin, as when your dopey kid brother rolls his SUV again.  I mean, you love the kid, but sometimes his behaviour just sets you at wit's end.

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2004, 11:11:39 pm »

I have an aunt named Agnes, but she is not as clear-thinking and levelheaded as you, Agnes. Indeed, what gives with the hating?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2004, 11:18:59 pm »

Er, irritation at the fact that you comport yourself like a professional cartoonist, expect to be treated like that, and then have diva fits where you just don't produce? Forgive me if I think it's perfectly justifiable.

Also, do you ever plan to do anything on the board besides randomly harrass your detractors? (It's not particularly useful and often tends to increase the detraction.)
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2004, 11:19:44 pm »

Diva fit?
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2004, 01:14:46 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, do you ever plan to do anything on the board besides randomly harrass your detractors? (It's not particularly useful and often tends to increase the detraction.)


After having just caught up on that freshly-locked thread (the interesting shit always seems to go down when I'm not checking out this board fifteen fuck*ng times an hour or whatever), I submit that it is particularly useful in being hilarious.

That, and you could probably feel the thud of the "does he or doesn't he lurk" case slamming shut clear on the moon.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2004, 01:17:36 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, do you ever plan to do anything on the board besides randomly harrass your detractors? (It's not particularly useful and often tends to increase the detraction.)


After having just caught up on that freshly-locked thread (the interesting shit always seems to go down when I'm not checking out this board fifteen fuck*ng times an hour or whatever), I submit that it is particularly useful in being hilarious.

That, and you could probably feel the thud of the "does he or doesn't he lurk" case slamming shut clear on the moon.

The really funny thing about that is that, this morning, I read the updated version of yesterday's strip, blinked at the sudden inclusion of the Hogan album, and thought "huh; that's either a really creepy coincidence or Onstad's been lurking." I show up at the board, and, well, wind knocked out of my sails...
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up