Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th  (Read 14754 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2004, 10:10:56 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
I no longer wished to be associated with Dumbrella or to be running a board. I was getting lumped in with crap like Diesel Sweeties just because that strip's author was hosting my forum. Also, his stupid fans were putting diarrhea on all my surfaces.

Just because you think it is subpar doesn't mean that it is. I still read Diesel Sweeties almost daily because I enjoy its characters and sense of humor. What about Wigu? Is that "crap" though its storyline is experimental and many of its characters are -dare I say it- more real than most of yours?

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
It was a necessary break in order to maintain integrity. I knew there'd be another place set up fairly immediately.

This is not the image any of us had of your decision to close the board. You had an issue with immediate criticism of your work, and didn't appreciate fans holding you up to the higher standard that you displayed your capability of. You locked the board (after twice completely emptying it of posts) because you didn't want to deal with it any more. Don't try to revise history, Chris. It's impossible.

Also, I'm not as pissed about the shirt as you seem to think I am. I hope my payment for it helped you to continue on the path toward financial and professional independence.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2004, 10:15:30 pm »

There were a lot of great reasons to close that old board. It was riddled with lice. You all had a new place to discuss before it was finally closed, so I don't see any harm.

I like Jeff, I read Wigu. He's got a great voice.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2004, 11:30:28 pm »

I complained a bit when Onstad closed the old board, but only because of the short notice.  Some artists like interacting with their fan base and customers, some don't, and others seem to need a little distance.

If Chris continues to post here, even irregularly, I think it would be the best of both worlds for him AND us (fans of his work).  He doesn't have to worry about the day-to-day moderating of the board, so if he's irked by complaints about a strip he can just STOP READING rather than feel the compulsion to do so in case something needed to be moderated, etc.

And of course we get the benefit of input from Mr. Achewood.  I can't see how this isn't a win-win situation as long as people behave themselves at least as well as they would were they talking to someone face-to-face.

The board was strong without Onstad's presence and it will continue to be a strong community.  

Welcome to our community, Chris.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2004, 02:35:51 am »

I agree with Jough.  Having spent a year running this board, I became more sensitive Onstad's stated reasons for having closed the old one.  I don't entirely agree with the way in which it was done, but I don't fault him for doing it.  

That said, can we be done with this now?  My head hurts.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2004, 07:36:12 pm »

I, too, love Deisel Sweeties.  It's like candy. I could send a DS to a friend who'd never heard of it, and they'd be able to get it.

Achewood is an acquired taste.  It's like the Twin Peaks of web comics, only harder to explain.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2004, 08:40:16 pm »

I read DS daily and it has its moments but on the whole I don't really find it as funny. Sometimes it's just like "look at all the indie! Whoo!"
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2004, 12:32:15 am »

Quote from: "Va"
Achewood is an acquired taste.  It's like the Twin Peaks of web comics, only harder to explain.


I think you're damning Achewood with faint praise.  I agree it's an acquired taste, but about 1000 times better than Twin Peaks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2004, 01:53:56 am »

Diesel Sweeties is crappy.

Getting back on subject, I loved the Ottawa Modified Death strip. So much that I suggest a t-shirt be made with the company's logo.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2004, 05:23:37 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Achewood is an acquired taste.  It's like the Twin Peaks of web comics, only harder to explain.


I think you're damning Achewood with faint praise.  I agree it's an acquired taste, but about 1000 times better than Twin Peaks.


....Okay, so, how's this. It's like Twin Peaks, but the midget dances, instead of merely creeping the fuck out of me.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2004, 12:27:21 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
....Okay, so, how's this. It's like Twin Peaks, but the midget dances, instead of merely creeping the fuck out of me.


Well, the midget did dance in Twin Peaks, but he still creeped the fuck out of me while doing so.  

I got suckered into watching Carnivale just because Michael J. Anderson was in it.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2004, 06:22:56 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
This is not the image any of us had of your decision to close the board. You had an issue with immediate criticism of your work, and didn't appreciate fans holding you up to the higher standard that you displayed your capability of. You locked the board (after twice completely emptying it of posts) because you didn't want to deal with it any more. Don't try to revise history, Chris. It's impossible.

No no no no NO, holy god.  

Don't you people remember?

The old board was closed because it became infested with idiots.  Don't you guys remember how badly the old board started to suck, right around the time it was euthanized?  And then this place started up pretty much idiot-free?  That was what it was, chochachos.  I would surmise that if Onstad was feeling overly sensitive about criticism to his work, he'd just stop doing it.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
in the champagne room gettin' an eyeful- Sept. 16th
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2004, 07:02:50 pm »

Since we've all been getting along civilly for the past day or so, I'm going to declare this issue dead.  Let's get back to what this board is really about -- Ancient Sumerians, blumpkins and catching each others' minor grammar errors.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up