Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I throw myself on the mercy of the court.  (Read 7955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 06:55:45 pm »

Agreements:

- A Vitamin B Complex before your adventure begins is a very good idea.

- Mixing types of alcohol is bad, bad, bad, with one exception (in my experience): starting the evening with whisky and then transitioning to beer is, in general, a fine way to do things. In fact, I often enjoy the transition from a whisky buzz to a beer buzz. I theorize this may be because both of these beverages start out as essentially the same stuff - water, grain, and yeast. Don't over do it, though - if you've had more than a couple fingers of whisky, don't think you can put down a six pack right afterward.

Disagreements:

- Ordering a Red Bull and Vodka at a bar is a ripoff, yes. However, Red Bull and Vodka that you're preparing yourself is a delicious combination of flavors and caffeine. If you like Red Bull or Rockstar, this is a fantastic combo. Watch the caffeine, though - nothing worse than being too drunk and overstimulated.

- There is not necessarily anything wrong with starting out with hard liquors, though you may find that you don't like it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot. I am a huge booster of whisky. Start with a good blended Scotch (my personal preference being The Famous Grouse) and see how it suits you. Take it over ice or with a bit of soda water. Never do this to single malt Scotch, or the whisky gods will find you and crucify you.

- Also on the hard liquor subject, a properly made Gin and Tonic with good gin is one of the tastiest and most dangerous drinks in existence. Again, if made properly, it doesn't taste like gin - it tastes like a Gin and Tonic and it goes down like water. Thus the danger.

Other stuff:

- Beers vary like you wouldn't believe. Some people find they like thick, hoppy ales that'll strip the enamel off your teeth. Others enjoy lagers and light ales with a crisp, refreshing flavor. Others want to chew their beer and stick with stouts and porters. Spend one night in a good brew pub and you will see all of these. I've met people who "don't like beer" who've only tried a couple or, worse yet, think all beer is represented by the piss that megabreweries disgorge in huge vats. Experiment.

- On the subject of expensive versus cheap vodka, I find myself on the fence. I have never really seen the value in truly premium vodkas (Belvedere, Chopin, Grey Goose, etc) as I am not a big fan of taking my vodka neat. However, I've had bad experiences with cheap ass plastic bottle grocery store crap, as well. My recommendation is Skyy. Why? Because all that shit you've heard about its purity and lack of hangover-inducing impurities? It's true. Skyy is the best mixing vodka ever. Stay away from the Skyy Citrus, though - that shit is nasty. I prefer Absolut Citron in that category.

A quick and dirty vodka cocktail recipe, the name of which I do not know. It was made for me in a bar in New Orleans called the Fatted Calf, and kicks ass.

Combine in a rocks glass or tumbler:

Handful of ice
2 shots Absolut Mandarin or other orange vodka
Balance 7up
Splash of Cranberry Juice

Stir. Garnish with orange or lemon wedge.

Another quick and simple vodka recipe, similar to the Educational Installment[/url from Achewood's early days.

In a pint glass, combine:

1/2 glass of ice
2 to 3 shots vanilla vodka (cheap Smirnoff or whatever is fine)
Balance 7up or Sprite

Stir. Tastes like cream soda. Absolutely wonderful on hot days or when recovering from a night of serious partying.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 08:28:09 pm »

Okay, I'm going to go against everything people have said here and suggest that you not feel compelled to drink at all.

If you've only had so much as one drink in your life then you can't possibly be one who drinks and therefore to start now because of legal age is just silly.

IT IS OKAY TO NOT DRINK ON YOUR 21st BIRTHDAY.  SERIOUSLY.

But, if you feel you must, or are one to bow to peer pressure, then I recommend HIGHLY not to drink too much the first time out.  Avoid anything sweet and girly, as you will consume a LOT of alcohol before your body processes it, and will not notice how much deadly poison you're pouring into your body before it's too late and you get really really sick.

Why would you want to get sick?

Anyway, if you do drink you may want to stick with beer or wine.

Different types of liquor do have a different effect on me too.  Beer does pretty much NOTHING now.  I get full before I get drunk.  Wine makes me a little lovey and happy, vodka a little angry, scotch a little calmer than usual (my drink of choice, but I had to "level-up" to it from wine and beer) and tequilla - well, let's just say I'm glad they haven't found the bodies from the last time I drank tequilla.  

Rum was an interesting drunk - I was only drunk on rum once and I felt a little godlike and powerful.  My friends tell me that I started referring to myself in the third person and issuing orders to people and stuff.  I don't really remember.  But I'm sure they call it the "demon rum" for a reason.

Oh, and stay away from Zima and wine coolers and stuff.  There's something about sugar and alcohol that will make you sick WITHOUT the pleasing effects of intoxication.

In any case, DO NOT DRIVE OR OPERATE HEAVY MACHINERY.  You'll think that you can.  You may feel fine.  But don't believe yourself.  Be completely distrustful of your own thoughts and actions and play things extremely conservatively and you should be fine.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2004, 08:32:46 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Okay, I'm going to go against everything people have said here and suggest that you not feel compelled to drink at all.

...

IT IS OKAY TO NOT DRINK ON YOUR 21st BIRTHDAY.  SERIOUSLY.


Quote from: "But earlier, I"
Don't feel obligated to drink. Drink if you want to or if you enjoy it. It isn't required. It can be fun. It can fuck up your life seriously.


Dude, RTFT.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 08:46:38 pm »

I have you on "ignore," August.

Also, I seem to have neglected this with all of the drink talk, so of course it is only proper to say

Happy Birthday, V!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 08:51:02 pm »

i can only vaguely remember the early days, which is why i haven't posted in the other thread because i can't remember my first distinct getting drunk story, but here goes:

yes, rum and cokes are awesome. were awesome, i can't remember when i had rum last, but now i'm thinking a fifth might do me good.  maybe i need to get a good mean on again.

yes, be careful because some drinks don't _seem_ to be as "stiff" as other drinks.  that doesn't mean they won't kick your ass.  and be VERY wary of the "foofie" drinks that those demure secretarial types are sipping all night long at the bar, they aren't dead not because the drinks are weak but because that shit has now subjugated the white blood cells to making sure there's enough ice, the red blood cells to manning the blender, and the platelets are just plain scared and hiding.  i stabbed her and she bled CUNT daquiri.

yes, it's ok to not drink at all, or just to have "a drink", but that would ruin the way too much fun in this thread.  jeebus, if everyone on this board were to move into the same neighborhood, i'm opening a bar and retiring.


i'd always had "liquor then beer, all clear; beer then liquor, never sicker" in my had, in fact i can't remember a time when i did not know that phrase (whereas i disctinctly remember hearing "wine is fine, but whiskey's quicker, suicide OZZY OZZY OZZY" for the firsty time), but i had always figured it was just bunk except that it always worked ok for me.  dunno.  but is it "Red at night sailor's delight, red in the morning, sailors warning"?

the joys of caffeine and liquor should have a thread dedicated to them in and of themselves.  nay! an entire website!@!  no!! an entire internet!  viva la hyper depressives!!!

i can't remember having gin, unless gin is in long island iced tea's goodness.  i do remember from Milk and Cheese, that "gin makes a man mean".

vodka- shitty vodka tastes like shitty vodka, but if you want to mix it then it really doesn't matter.  i'd say don't waste the money on the good stuff if you aren't going to be able to taste it anyways.  the main caviats for me would be: vodka and coke (i'm bad at making up drinks, apparently.  a bartender friend of mine dubbed it "the frat boy" and made fun of me for about an hour) and black russians both, yet in different ways, derive taste directly from the brand of vodka.

posting to the internet when drunk is one of life's small and simple pleasures.

white russians are good drinks, but i've got milk "issues" nowadays, and i was never entirely convinced that milk products and booze were any good for each other anyways (imagine a jerry springer show in your tummy).  but if you like milk you should definitely try one.

boone's farms et al tasting like candy and being drunk too fast:
well, those were my college friends.  of course, my nowadays friends would do the same now too.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2004, 08:54:29 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I have you on "ignore," August.


Oh yeah?  Then how'd you know I said anything?  Huh?

There, I've run rings round you logically.

Quote

Also, I seem to have neglected this with all of the drink talk, so of course it is only proper to say

Happy Birthday, V!


Well now I feel like a heel.

Happy 21st V.  Do you feel like a grown-up now?

Of course, all this thread is for naught because V's probably been out getting drunk since 10 a.m.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2004, 09:07:48 pm »

Wow. Here I go off about my business, and things go mad.

Anyway, thank you all for the kind words (and the one birthday greeting) and wisdom. I think those who have mentioned that I'm not going to be a very good drinker are very right; to be honest, I don't feel particularly compelled, and I probably won't drink today at all, although I may go out on the weekend. I was just suddenly flush with realization -- you know, if I wanted to do it, I could do it legally? Maybe I should at least figure out what I'm missing.

My one drink was a Mike's Hard Lemonade, and I confess that were I trying this wild thing I would be highly tempted to stick with that kind of thing, just because I really just don't enjoy the taste of alcohol. (Saying I've only had one drink in my life is a bit of a misnomer; I've sampled wine and such on holidays, just enough to know that the taste of alcohol makes me feel sad inside. Incidentally, is white Asti supposed to taste like something small and unpleasant died in your mouth, or do my parents just buy bad Asti?) I am fully aware that these sorts of drinks are deceptive, and so when/if I approach them again, it'll be with caution. (My one drinking experience will be recounted in the other thread, but in short: I shotgunned one Mike's and felt mildly goofy, although I suspect heavily that was psychosomatically induced by my friends standing around going "Yeah!" There were no confirmable physical consequences, which I suppose means I'm not allergic to cheap college booze.)

As for getting drunk online... well, I have a friend who used to do this on IRC, and after that whole series of incidents, I'm not so dumb as to want to do it myself. (I considered it when i had my wisdom teeth out but was at no point coherent enough to type, or even get off the couch and stop crying, while on those painkillers.)

In summary... well, I doubt I'll ever use this, but it's excellent to know a bit of what's out there for when I make my first tiny forays into Experimental Pseudo-Adulthood. Thanks.

Also, I got City of Heroes for my birthday, so I have an entirely different hideously addictive depressant to get hooked on for 21. Yay.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2004, 09:30:28 pm »

Oh yeah.  Happy birthday, V.  I don't usually forget my manners like that but talkin' booze gets me all out of sorts.

On the subject of cheap vodka vs. quality vodka, I'll gladly take the Pepsi Challenge with Off Brand stuff vs. Grey Goose, Belvedere, Ketel One, etc.  There's a world of difference between the two varieties.  I'm sure I could even tell the difference between Grocery Store Stuff and the lower call vodkas like Smirnoff.

It might be a bit trickier to tell the differences between call/premium and premium/top shelf vodkas but the cheap stuff is second-generation VHS compared to the DVD-like clarity and smoothness of a really good vodka.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2004, 09:59:55 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, I got City of Heroes for my birthday, so I have an entirely different hideously addictive depressant to get hooked on for 21. Yay.

Is this the super-hero MMORPG? Is the villians expansion out yet?
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2004, 10:11:37 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Is this the super-hero MMORPG?

Yes.
Quote
Is the villians expansion out yet?

No.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2004, 11:29:37 pm »

1) Sex is better than alcohol
2) Sex is better sober than drunk

Happy Birthday. Use a condom if applicable.

If you must drink:

If you find yourself "needing" a drink rather than "wanting" one, stop.

If you find yourself thinking you should stop drinking, stop drinking. That thought rarely kicks in until several drinks past "I should have stopped drinking".

This post came too late too help you, I hope you had a happy birthday.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2004, 11:34:04 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Incidentally, is white Asti supposed to taste like something small and unpleasant died in your mouth, or do my parents just buy bad Asti?


Asti is simply bad.  There is no such thing as good Asti.  The very existence of Asti is an insult to all sparkling wine.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2004, 07:14:54 am »

I stopped drinking... professionally a few months ago.  I had gotten to the point where I spent FAR TOO MANY thought cycles on things like

"Hmm... I could use a drink. I should go get a drink right now.  I know I have work to do but I can probably still do it drinking.  What kind of scotch should I buy?  I can't really afford the stuff I really like, especially in the quantities I'm drinking these days.  I wonder if I should try a blend and mix it with something.  Maybe I'll try out vodkas - they're all pretty cheap.  Yeah, that's what I'll do.  I'll buy 19 different brands of vodka and just have a single shot of each as a taste test.  <returns from liquor store> This one's pretty good.  I'll try another shot.  This one's pretty good too.  Ugh, I'm starting to feel kinda sick.  Better switch to wine."

Anyway, when getting a drink is the first thought when you get up in the morning, you may have a problem.

I'm not a teetotaler now, but I won't drink alone anymore, and even if I go out I'll limit myself to a single drink of whatever is appropriate - beer at  party, wine with a meal, scotch if meeting a girl for drinks or something.  Just one glass and I sip on it.  No problem.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2004, 02:09:08 am »

So what's up, V?  Did you drink last night or what?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
I throw myself on the mercy of the court.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2004, 02:26:09 am »

I remained teetotal. It was a pretty quiet night, all told, but in a pleasant way.

Right now I'm helping to plan my college roleplaying club's Homecoming party, though, which threatens to be heavily alcoholized. If I show up very very drunk around November 6th, that's what happened there...
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up