Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogs, week of Sept 27  (Read 7680 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2004, 01:46:50 am »

Ladies and gentlemen, The prick is back in town.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2004, 02:12:06 am »

Note to self: do not ask Jiffy Lube guy to add Chex Mix to oil. Also do not eat Chex Mix because it tastes bad
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2004, 02:37:26 am »

....Did Phillippe brush his teeth with lube? How is that Captain Kirk-esque?

Also, Ray's dilemma is very, very familiar to me. It's the backslide, man! How can you fight it!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2004, 04:48:17 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
....Did Phillippe brush his teeth with lube? How is that Captain Kirk-esque?

Astroglide, my friend. Astroglide.

Quote
Also, Ray's dilemma is very, very familiar to me. It's the backslide, man! How can you fight it!

It's like Odysseus, man! You just can't!

(I have a miniature version of the same problem, albeit without the Odysseus sex; a friend of mine from last year, with whom I used to hang out and discuss movies before she dropped me like a hot rock because of overly-complicated and depressing circumstances, is in my gym class. I have no idea what to say to her, so I just don't say anything, which I think is for the best. Meh.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2004, 01:55:48 pm »

As much as I enjoy Onstad's creative output, I really don't think I'd enjoy being around him personally.  If his blog really represents him and isn't another characterisation then he's kind of a spoiled jerk.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2004, 03:53:56 pm »

Hell, if I was renting a car and it smelled like cigarettes, I'd take it back -- I'm a smoker, but mrs|Choop ain't -- and if they then proceeded to give me a car with what could turn out to be serious engine problems, I'd take that one back too. When you procure something from a vendor, you have a responsibility to that vendor to let them know whether that something sucks. Well, maybe you don't, but it's the good-guy thing to do.

I just wouldn't want to hang out with O because I know I can't bring the funny like he can, and I'd be out-classed in front of everybody else there.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2004, 04:36:38 pm »

If today's strip is any indication, you won't have to worry about being out-funnied by Mr. Onstad.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2004, 05:24:36 pm »

I don't know, the whole asking for the shittiest car on the lot then being indignant when you get exactly what you've asked for thing:

Onstad:  I want you to kick me in the nuts.

Clerk: Huh?

O:  I mean it.  Really.  Kick me in the nuts.

Clerk:  No way.

O:  Seriously.  I want a size 12 to the nads.

C:  But I can't...

O:  Sure you can.  Just haul off and scramble my eggs.  Hard.

C:  Are you sure that...

O:  Totally.  I do this all the time.  It'll be funny.

C:  Well, if you're positive -- No, I can't do it...

O:  C'mon, crack my marbles.  I'll be your best friend!

C:  Well, if you insist.

WHAM!

O:  Hey!  Why'd you kick me in the nuts?

That and the whole "They got the wrong kind of caviar on my flight to Kauai" vibe just rubs me the wrong way.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2004, 06:23:41 pm »

Well, he was being sarcastic:

Quote from: "Onstad"
I made a mental note to stop telling the clerks to give me their worst cars, as Hawaiians cannot apparently appreciate sarcasm or, in fact, normal ideas (more on this later).


But his above statement sounded sincere, like he really wanted a shitty car (it's the "I mean it!" that removes the sarcasm bit).

Maybe the book deal has made him too bourgeois, too big for his britches. He just needs a britches-expander or something.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2004, 08:03:31 pm »

I'll vouch for any mainlander who has a problem with local customs and ways of doing business. But that's not the real problem. The real problem is that, like so many other vacation spots, they really DON'T CARE. You're gonna be there no matter what and there is no chance that you can effectively threaten a car rental place on Kauai with a boycott.  And, you're gonna be gone in a week, maybe 2.

 The Hawaiian he references? Lives on what may be the most beautiful island in the Northern Hemisphere, also would be competitive for the world title. Ya think the Hawaiian is looking forward to a fine vacation in Onstad's neighborhood? Unlikely.

This is the place where you can be an ugly American and still be in America.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2004, 01:57:13 am »

I think it was Eustace Dobbs.

Eustace K. Dobbs.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2004, 09:53:21 pm »

how long does something remain updated?

once it's updated, it stays updated forever, right?

so, if you make a thing, and you update it, you would say that it is updated.

but then, when you update that thing again, it's still just updated.

which means that calling it updated doesn't really help me any, does it?


i'm worried about Lyle.  drugged people do crazy stupid things.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2004, 09:57:46 pm »

It's a 24-hour globe. I usually leave things like "updated" live for a day or two so that all the readers can notice. Not everyone reads Achewood 24 times a day. Some people are moms or doctors.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2004, 09:58:03 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i'm worried about Lyle.  drugged people do crazy stupid things.


I get the feeling that Lyle is perfectly capable of handling himself in most situations.  

As for updated stuf, I know several around here are fond of those new-fangled RSS readers, but I like blo.gs myself.  You give it a list of blogs you read, and it will (for the most part) tell you when they were last updated.

Edit:  Of course, the service would have to be having problems when I point it out...
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Blogs, week of Sept 27
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2004, 01:40:56 am »

Ray's latest blog entry is absolutely lovely. It's very poetic while also being so very Ray... I'm hopeful for him and Tina, I really am.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up