Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.  (Read 7493 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2004, 05:28:25 pm »

I stand resolute in support of the fart theory. In fact, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around immediate association of semen and stinker. It seems like that would be a secondary or tertiary association at best. Perhaps the immediate association was with the volume, then. Then again, there are a lot of things I don't understand.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2004, 06:20:26 pm »

I don't know why he'd call it a "stinker" either, but since he used liquid measurements it really can't be a fart.

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2004, 06:26:26 pm »

Teaspoons, cups, etc. are measurements of volume.  Gas, too, can be measured i/t/o volume.  "Cubic centimeters" is not as funny as "teaspoons."
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2004, 07:54:32 pm »

I think the ideal gas law is in play here also, unless we are measuring the volume of the particulate matter in the emission (and there always must be some) independent of the gases emitted.

I wonder what the apparatus used to measure Joltin' Joes airbiscuits looked like...
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2004, 08:22:48 am »

I'm with Ferocious J (nice guy, BTW, met him at APE) - - teaspoons can be a measure of volume, or gas.

I hated to see this discussion go down the wrong roads! Now you know. This cartoon has nothing to do with obscene ideas about reproduction chemicals.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up