Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04  (Read 10474 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« on: September 29, 2004, 10:58:10 am »

Link

OK, as the resident Out Of It Old Fart, let me be the first to say I don't recognize the guy in the middle, and maybe I recognize the third guy but still don't get the joke even with the help of the alt-text.

(Edited to add link to strip, 2013-02-09 - PMc)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:50:59 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 11:55:13 am »

I think the joke is that vanity albums are funny? Also that Onstad couldn't be arsed to do more than about a panel of his own art today. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 12:52:42 pm »

Maybe it's because I just woke up early to commute to the computer lab, filled with the bitterness of much coffee, but I didn't really find this that funny.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 12:56:33 pm »

What?  Mr. T!  That's internet comedy GOLD!


Take my wife!  Please!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 01:08:01 pm »

i firmly believe that is Charle Sheen in the 2nd album.  His album title is bizarre enough to be quite amusing to me.

Mr T's album name, however, makes me disbelieve.

and, lastly, is Bjorn from ABBA?  why would someone from a BAND have a vanity album?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 02:26:55 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
What?  Mr. T!  That's internet comedy GOLD!

Didn't he eat somebody's balls once?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 04:35:50 pm »

Wow.  I am just struck by how lame this strip is.  Weiner Supply?  Is that like Air Supply, but with weiners?

Yes, that's Charlie Sheen in the middle.  I'll assume that "private restaurant" is another coochie euphemism?

I mean, I don't expect them all to be clever, but it looks like he dug this strip idea out of his "GRATE NEW IDEAS!" notebook that he wrote when he was eleven.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 04:42:52 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
I think in order we have a famous tennis player (Borg), a coat-tails riding spawn of famous (Charlie), and a former bouncer (Lawrence Tero).

None of which made this very entertaining.  I'll tune back in tomorrow.


The Bjorn in question is not the tennis player but indeed him from ABBA.  Run a Google Image Search for "Bjorn ABBA" and you'll be rewarded with, among others, this:

which appears to be the source for the album artwork.

And it might have to become my new avatar.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 06:24:54 pm »

Why would you make that your avatar?   As a constant reminder of the worst of Achewood?

You people KNOW how I feel about ugly avatars.  It's just so much easier to delete your account than to change your avatar to something prettier.

I'm just saying.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 07:56:32 pm »

The reruns were better, and they were all random non-sequitors yanked out of storylines. I would have used one-offs for a re-run week or run a short storyline, but hey, I'm not the funny cartoonist. But one could argue that, today, neither is Onstad. We all have off days. I'm sure it's hard to get back into it after laying around in Kauai (even though Kauai is getting a little built up)
Logged

designbot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Hulk Hogan & The Wrestling Boot Band
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 11:16:13 pm »

I don't know if the other albums are real, but I actually own a copy of Hulk Rules by Hulk Hogan & The Wrestling Boot Band (don't ask), and I can assure you that it is probably the worst album ever recorded to disc. I implore you, if you value your ears or your sanity, even a little, do not ever ever even consider subjecting yourself to Hulkster in Heaven, Beach Patrol, or perhaps worst of all, the ostensible single, I Want To Be A Hulkamaniac, which includes the following immortal verses—rapped by one Mr. Hogan.

Quote
Try to do good each and every day
Don't give 'em—nothin'—bad to say
Always go swimmin' with a buddy
Work real hard and always study
If you want to be—real, real cool
Don't be so stupid and play the fool
Get your education each and every day
These are all the things that the 'Maniacs say
Logged
[size=9]I used to tear my shirt
But now you tore my heart
The world just lost another Hulkamaniac
I wish Hulk's love could bring you back again[/size]

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hulk Hogan & The Wrestling Boot Band
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 11:21:44 pm »

Quote from: "The Hulkster"


Try to do good each and every day
Don't give 'em—nothin'—bad to say
Always go swimmin' with a buddy
Work real hard and always study
If you want to be—real, real cool
Don't be so stupid and play the fool
Get your education each and every day
These are all the things that the 'Maniacs say


My Love Ain't Freeeee!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 11:33:19 pm »

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 11:45:46 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Oh yeah!


The reviews are the best part.

BROTHER!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

designbot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Mr. T's Commandments
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 12:02:40 am »

In the same odd "after-school public service announcement/self-aggrandizing macho wrestler rap" vein, we have Mr. T's real-life vanity album, sadly named not Education Supply (er, or Weiner Supply) but rather Mr. T's Commandments. If there's a lesson for us here, I think it's "Don't try to out-lame the 80's." It just can't be faked.
The album includes such inspiring tracks as:
[list=1]
  • Mr. T's Commandments
  • Don't Talk To Strangers
  • The Toughest Man in the World
  • Mr. T, Mr. T (He Was Made for Love)
  • The One and Only Mr. T
  • No Dope, No Drugs
  • You Got to Go Through It
  • [/list:o]
Logged
[size=9]I used to tear my shirt
But now you tore my heart
The world just lost another Hulkamaniac
I wish Hulk's love could bring you back again[/size]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up