Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th  (Read 8321 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2004, 02:04:49 am »

I've come around to thinking ADawg is right about what Beef is doing with the tweezers.  But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.   I guess I'm just never satisfied.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2004, 02:26:33 am »

While I do find the tweezers discussion quite fascinating...

Beef is a programmer. Why in the bejesus can't he get a code monkey job?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2004, 02:49:42 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.

For the same reason he thought he had to bury his new shirt.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2004, 04:01:45 am »

so i'm stuck doing stuff for awhile tonight, so i'm staring at today's strip hoping it will give me some deeper insight into why people seem preoccupied with the notion of me not sleeping (i need you to do "X".    -i'm not entirely sure that's even possible.-    oh, i have faith in you.    -!!!-)....

1. what is with the shadows from the chairs from panel 1.

2. there is a "motion line" from the hammer in panel 3, but not in panel 4.  i surmise and speculate that beef is waving the hammer menacingly in frame 3 (menacingly for beef, not the public at large) and in panel 4 he's "calmed" since all the rats have fled but one.

3. the "motion lines" in panel 6 confuse me.  is the rat trembling in fear?  the rat emenated head lines in the previous panels, but they seemed exclamatory.  are those eyebrows or motion lines?  or is he simply "fuzzy", a phantom penis crawling up onto the table as the "Real" rats flee the table.  Beef's subconscious desire to fight against the flow of the popular reaction to a cartoon cat with a hammer?  is he greeting him?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2004, 04:20:48 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
...why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers...


Now I think we're getting somewhere people.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2004, 05:13:38 am »

See Wombat? It's like Deus ex Machina up in this Bi-atch.

I was thinking about Beef's ideation of the impossible tetris shapes during this as well; his dang ol' mind just works differn than our'n. He should be picturing people chasing HIM off a table with hammers; we all know that when they advertise for experiments in the want ads, they usually aren't looking for the scientist...
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2004, 09:08:42 am »

Looking back on this thread, anyone who thinks that someone would use tweezers to shake hands with a penis that is about to fall off a table lacks the certain brain chemical (C)(H)(O)(C)(H)(A)(C)(H)(O)
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2004, 09:50:44 am »

I'm even more tired than the night/morning before, but honestly!  shaking hands?!
[edit:  I should note that I still considered this silly before Onstad said anything about it..... I just didn't have time to post earlier when I checked this thread]

For some reason, I'm thinking my speculation isn't as silly as I thought after that one... my thought (though I didn't entirely finish it since I was about ready to fall out of my chair) was that he was picking the penis / rat up with the tweezers cause he needed one to run the experiment and all the rest ran off the table.  don't his thoughts usually involve disaster?  so the idea that they were supposed to all fall off seems ridiculous, too.

Now, I'm not sayin' the idea of him picking up the penis to bring him back on the table to do something to it with the hammer is the absolute correct answer speculation, but since I'm obviously procrastinating going to bed, I thought I'd elaborate on my theory... if one is even needed.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2004, 01:34:06 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.


Actually, I know a chick who works in a lab with mice and it's really like that.  It's all about fuck*ng with them.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2004, 03:06:09 pm »

Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.


Actually, I know a chick who works in a lab with mice and it's really like that.  It's all about fuck*ng with them.

I once did an experiment in my introductory neuroscience course that involved isolating baby rats from their mothers and then testing just how long and loudly they cried under varying circumstances (alone, with some morphine, with a group of unconscious littermates, etc.). It may very well have been the saddest thing.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2004, 03:08:07 pm »

It's certainly the saddest thing I've heard today.
Logged

IsoYrBel

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2004, 03:13:33 pm »

My first impression was that Beef was just shaking hands with him. I didnt even ponder anything else until I visited here. It still looks to me as though he has this hammer, the mice run, his eyes get bigger with surprise, then hes even sort of playing with his hands a bit, nervous even, having put the hammer down while he looks at this poor face still clinging on. So he either shakes hands or pulls him up. He wouldnt necessarily see the risk of shaking hands.

And the shadows in panel one I just suppose are washing.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2004, 11:12:58 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.


Actually, I know a chick who works in a lab with mice and it's really like that.  It's all about fuck*ng with them.

I once did an experiment in my introductory neuroscience course that involved isolating baby rats from their mothers and then testing just how long and loudly they cried under varying circumstances (alone, with some morphine, with a group of unconscious littermates, etc.). It may very well have been the saddest thing.


I thought the saddest thing involved retarded baby rats and broken eggs.
Logged

IdiotIdiotIdiot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5
  • pew baby, pew!
    • View Profile
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2004, 08:45:59 am »

Beef´s job is to whack the rats with the hammer, obviously he´s a bit hesitant about it, and all, but one, of the rats get away. Well, he knows he´s supposed to hurt the rat, but thinking that whacking the poor rat with a hammer is to harsh, he chooses to pinch it with tweezers.


AlohaDawg:

"They also make awesome pets. I used to have these two Norway rats, named 'This' and 'That'. They used to ride around on my head or shoulders. They are smart little buggers, too."

- I hear you, in Denmark we used to have Norwegians as pets too, but then the sweets...hmmm  sweeds? ehhh... the people from Sweden took ém away from us.

ohh, and thankyou.
Logged

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2004, 10:47:44 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Looking back on this thread, anyone who thinks that someone would use tweezers to shake hands with a penis that is about to fall off a table lacks the certain brain chemical (C)(H)(O)(C)(H)(A)(C)(H)(O)


I don't know. I DON'T KNOW what I was thinking. But still - even after all the nay-saying and the stark realisation that I may have been misinterpreting SO MANY OTHER strips - I STILL see Beef shaking hands with the rat. Hell - just because this rat is one of the very few animals that doesn't talk in Achewood, doesn't necessarily mean Beef sees him as a verminous lab experiment. Jesus, Beef and that Rat could be best friends for chrissake. HE PROBABLY HAS A NAME.
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up