Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004  (Read 9729 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2004, 12:42:15 am »

I, too, love "shrimp (any flavor)."

The cynical part of me wonders if we're going to see a "Philippe Is a Turtle" t-shirt any time soon, but as long as he doesn't get abducted this year, I'm happy.
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2004, 10:09:52 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
The cynical part of me wonders if we're going to see a "Philippe Is a Turtle" t-shirt any time soon


What would be the crime in offering fans a garment with Philippe dressed as a turtle? This little candy factory doesn't run on "a cartoonist sold out by making a dime in this world!" messageboard posts. I've probably gotten 2,135 emails asking for Philippe/turtle designs today. Welcome to my inbox.

When Achewood exists solely as a means to selling disingenuous t-shirts, you'll know, because the strips will mainly be large stencil-art of phrases like "KOOL KEITH AND THE RIZZAH" with Paul Hamm smoking a pipe.


alright later
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2004, 11:32:31 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
When Achewood exists solely as a means to selling disingenuous t-shirts, you'll know, because the strips will mainly be large stencil-art of phrases like "KOOL KEITH AND THE RIZZAH" with Paul Hamm smoking a pipe.


I NOW DESIRE THIS. MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO ME IN A VARIETY OF STYLES AND COLORS IMMEDIATLY.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 03:38:47 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
When Achewood exists solely as a means to selling disingenuous t-shirts, you'll know, because the strips will mainly be large stencil-art of phrases like "KOOL KEITH AND THE RIZZAH" with Paul Hamm smoking a pipe.


I NOW DESIRE THIS. MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO ME IN A VARIETY OF STYLES AND COLORS IMMEDIATLY.


Hmm, last year Philippe was a bee for halloween and that got made into a t-shirt. Chris informs us he has already recieved several requests to a Philippe as a turtle for this year. You know, apparel featuring little ol' Philippe in a halloween costume could become an annual tradition. Just saying.

Ain't nothin wrong with comerce, people.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2004, 04:43:13 pm »

True confession: I found the "Philippe is a Bee" shirt forced, overcutesy, and oversold to all hell. Very offputting.

That said, sell merchandise any way you want and the good Lord will provide, Mr. Onstad. And hey, depending on how cute the turtle outfit is, it might actually make a decent shirt.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2004, 05:20:38 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
sell merchandise any way you want and the good Lord will provide


I wonder if it's wierd for Onstad to have his own stuff quoted back to him.  

I wonder too much.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 06:48:12 pm »

I hereby demand a photographic collage of every c*ck and butt-cheek ever seen on Achewood.  It doesn't have to be on merchandise.  I just need a new desktop wallpaper.  

I demand it!
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2004, 07:56:13 pm »

Ha, this entire thread should just become us demanding increasingly bizarre and horrifying things from Onstad.
I DEMAND YOUR KIDNEYS!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2004, 08:18:20 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The cynical part of me wonders if we're going to see a "Philippe Is a Turtle" t-shirt any time soon


What would be the crime in offering fans a garment with Philippe dressed as a turtle? This little candy factory doesn't run on "a cartoonist sold out by making a dime in this world!" messageboard posts. I've probably gotten 2,135 emails asking for Philippe/turtle designs today. Welcome to my inbox.

When Achewood exists solely as a means to selling disingenuous t-shirts, you'll know, because the strips will mainly be large stencil-art of phrases like "KOOL KEITH AND THE RIZZAH" with Paul Hamm smoking a pipe.


alright later



This is good.

Do what you want, Chris. Sell what you want.

Say what you want people. Buy what you want.

Just get along. Please.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2004, 08:32:30 pm »

I like Chris fine -- otherwise, let's be honest, I probably wouldn't still be reading the comic -- but I reserve the right to disapprove of some of his merchandising decisions and say so here. I don't mean to start a fight or anything -- or to reopen this whole thing -- but I'd like to think we can all agree to disagree here on some stuff.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2004, 09:14:30 pm »

Aren't the strip and blogs really just commercials for the t-shirts and books anyway?

I mean, I like the strip and think it's worthwhile daily reading, but Onstad has never been ars gratia artis.  He's looking to make a living doing something he likes.  

What the hell is wrong with that?

DONT BE A HAT0R!!!!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2004, 09:43:12 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I like Chris fine -- otherwise, let's be honest, I probably wouldn't still be reading the comic -- but I reserve the right to disapprove of some of his merchandising decisions and say so here. I don't mean to start a fight or anything -- or to reopen this whole thing -- but I'd like to think we can all agree to disagree here on some stuff.


This sounds defensive. I think we all agree you can 'disapprove' all you like. Once you put it out there other people have reserved the right to mock and ridicule you if they think you said something worthy of mocking and ridicule.

Also:

Chris, pleez cre8 an 8' x 10' tapestry of 'Pat' in hi$ 'Renfair' co$tume. If u could use ur own hair and hair from $ome of ur alive $tuffed animal$ that would be really c00l. I think it $hould be available but i doubt i would buy it. You r awe$omal.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2004, 10:55:12 pm »

You know, I probably would buy a wall hanging of Pat in his Renfaire costume. It'd be just goofy enough to fit more or less perfectly into my dorm's general design scheme. (Also, we have a guy who dresses basically like that, but unironically.) Actual hair from any residents of Achewood totally optional, of course.
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2004, 05:31:51 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Aren't the strip and blogs really just commercials for the t-shirts and books anyway?

...Onstad has never been ars gratia artis.  He's looking to make a living doing something he likes.
 

Now you're just baiting me. When this started, I posted the strip sans-merchandise for many months before the mounting requests for books and shirts clued me in to the demand.

And talk about your backhanded compliments: Jough, you're like the guy at the party who tells the pretty lady that she "doesn't look very fat." Can someone send this guy a Carnegie book?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2004, 09:16:13 am »

Just to be fair, I think Jough's question is probably easily generalizable: we all want to make a living doing what we like.

Whether Onstad was crazy enough to have a bunch of merchandise created and then decided to draw comic strips in order to sell it is another story.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up