Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004  (Read 9684 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2004, 07:02:45 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Whether Onstad was crazy enough to have a bunch of merchandise created and then decided to draw comic strips in order to sell it is another story.

Isn't that basically what Jim Davis did? I can just imagine him sitting around, with millions of these Garfield window suction toys, and being like, "But however will I SELL them?"
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2004, 10:02:33 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"

Isn't that basically what Jim Davis did?


I was pretty shocked when I found out about that. Only recently too.
It explained, in my mind at least, why I stopped liking Garfield when I got to about 10.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2004, 11:02:21 pm »

You liked Garfield?

Shit, man.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2004, 02:44:37 am »

Quote from: "Silverberg"
You liked Garfield?

Shit, man.


You think you know somebody, and then it turns out they drink blood, or like Garfield, or something.

Disclaimer: I was a huge Garfield fan until I was 10.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2004, 08:08:32 am »

You people act as if there's an excuse for ever liking that strip.

Have some dignity in your lives, eh?
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2004, 09:46:26 am »

Quote from: "Silverberg"
You people act as if there's an excuse for ever liking that strip.

Have some dignity in your lives, eh?


what, you've over and above garfield since you were 7?

my comic-appreciation-thing went from garfield to calvin&hobbes to maakies to achewood. (which curiously reflects happy hour to evening to night to last call)
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

V-Adore

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2004, 04:17:15 pm »

Garfield used to be good, back in the elder days. I don't think it's any coincidence that those elder days (in which Garfield was enjoyable) correlate strongly with the days in which we were small children (who also have a predilection towards liking stuff like Garfield, even now).

This is a complicated way of saying: I liked Garfield when my age was in the single digits, too. Don't start talking to me about "dignity."
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2004, 05:20:13 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"

my comic-appreciation-thing went from garfield to calvin&hobbes to maakies to achewood.


Similarly I went from liking Peanuts and Garfield when I was a kid (partly because that's what I had access to from my parents or brother) to Calvin & Hobbes, which I do still like (along with Peanuts, can't really stop liking Peanuts...) and now to Achewood, Penny-Arcade and Goats which are pretty much the only strips I read anymore (as I am reading comics still - if you haven't started reading Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, then, well... yea!).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 01:52:14 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "jough"
Aren't the strip and blogs really just commercials for the t-shirts and books anyway?

...Onstad has never been ars gratia artis.  He's looking to make a living doing something he likes.
 

Now you're just baiting me. When this started, I posted the strip sans-merchandise for many months before the mounting requests for books and shirts clued me in to the demand.

And talk about your backhanded compliments: Jough, you're like the guy at the party who tells the pretty lady that she "doesn't look very fat." Can someone send this guy a Carnegie book?


Thus the crux: It is within Jough's domain to say whatever the hell he pleases on "his" board, yet this board would not exist without Achewood.   Much like the merchandise: can't have the achewood without the merchandise; can't have the merchandise without the achewood. Perhaps you should market compilations of backhanded compliments and barely concealed malevolance toward a moderately famous person; I'd pick Abe Vigoda myself, but it's your call.* Perhaps title it "Onstad contra Sal Tessio: Vitriol in Richtung zu Abe Vigoda und sein vile 'Dago'-stamm." Too late to ship for Columbus day, but maybe we can catch next year's fervor.


* Maybe you would prefer Don Cheadle.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 02:02:45 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "sailor"

my comic-appreciation-thing went from garfield to calvin&hobbes to maakies to achewood.


Similarly I went from liking Peanuts and Garfield when I was a kid (partly because that's what I had access to from my parents or brother) to Calvin & Hobbes, which I do still like (along with Peanuts, can't really stop liking Peanuts...) and now to Achewood, Penny-Arcade and Goats which are pretty much the only strips I read anymore (as I am reading comics still - if you haven't started reading Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, then, well... yea!).


oh hey ho, is this the "less mass-marketed the comic, the longer it is" dick-waving contest? can i join? let's talk about all the REALLY COOL AND AWESOME CRAP ARTFUL COMICS OUT THERE like:

Diesel Sweeties
Goats
Something Positive
Death to the Extremist
Dinosaur Comics

LOOK HOW ENORMOUS MY MEMBER IS! I am going to use my pirated copy of Cubase to make some TOTALLY ORIGINAL electronic music to a 4/4 beat. I am a FREE SPIRIT. NO ONE ELSE DOES THIS. See, I will ensure my originality by heavily referencing 80's pop culture.*

* For example, Don Cheadle.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2004, 03:43:48 am »

bobby, bobby, bobby.

did noone ever tell you not run with a knife in your hand?

please remove the knife from your frontal lobe, and explain how slink telling us what comics he likes in a conversational way is a DSW and
"Onstad contra Sal Tessio: Vitriol in Richtung zu Abe Vigoda und sein vile 'Dago'-stamm." is not a DSW?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2004, 03:51:21 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "sailor"

my comic-appreciation-thing went from garfield to calvin&hobbes to maakies to achewood.


Similarly I went from liking Peanuts and Garfield when I was a kid (partly because that's what I had access to from my parents or brother) to Calvin & Hobbes, which I do still like (along with Peanuts, can't really stop liking Peanuts...) and now to Achewood, Penny-Arcade and Goats which are pretty much the only strips I read anymore (as I am reading comics still - if you haven't started reading Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, then, well... yea!).


so i've been going through a bunch of boxes of pack-ratted crap/really-important-things, and i found my old garfield books.  i would suggest that jim davis' work _is_ funny, but that the humor loses much after considerable exposure.

i loved peanuts as a child, and then i didn't like it as i grew "older".  now that i'm growing older-older, i find i appreciate parts of it that i didn't even realize existed upon first exposure.

i loved goats when i first found it, read the archive that existed at the time, but just don't find it compelling enough to read daily.  i'll go back and "catch up" every once in awhile, but i don't feel as though i'd be missing anything if i didn't.

i find PA to be editorial, and in that way while it is always the same old same old, it's at least the same old same old applied to new things.

i generally find myself compelled with figuring out what is going on with the characters, and once i find i "know" them, i grow bored with them, i guess.  which is why achewood has such a hook in me, since character insights are constantly doled out in tiny yet satisfying increments.  plus onstadt's ability to generate so many distinct voices.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2004, 04:04:38 am »

Quote
i generally find myself compelled with figuring out what is going on with the characters, and once i find i "know" them, i grow bored with them, i guess. which is why achewood has such a hook in me, since character insights are constantly doled out in tiny yet satisfying increments. plus onstadt's ability to generate so many distinct voices.


Indeed. Onstad's up there with Jean Shepherd and Garrison Keillor, as a storyteller. That's the difference between Achewood and Garfield, which, on a good day, is sort of amusing.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2004, 05:53:46 am »

I'm really just terribly confused at this point. Am I allowed to like both Achewood and Diesel Sweeties? Am I allowed to like Achewood given that I used to like Garfield? Is there some sort of trigonometric equation I can plug this all into?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2004, 06:12:49 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm really just terribly confused at this point. Am I allowed to like both Achewood and Diesel Sweeties? Am I allowed to like Achewood given that I used to like Garfield? Is there some sort of trigonometric equation I can plug this all into?




I HAVE DONE IT, WITH BOOLEAN!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up