Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004  (Read 9703 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 06:17:25 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm really just terribly confused at this point. Am I allowed to like both Achewood and Diesel Sweeties? Am I allowed to like Achewood given that I used to like Garfield? Is there some sort of trigonometric equation I can plug this all into?


(awesome chart)

I HAVE DONE IT, WITH BOOLEAN!

Hooray! Now I can calculate the exact vector required to be a cool kid! :D

Also, I love the phrase "I Have Done It, With BOOLEAN!" I sort of want it on a t-shirt.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2004, 07:19:28 am »

We should start offering Achewood Message Board shirts, that would say "DUE TO PUNISHMENT" or "HOORAY FOR BOOLEAN" and stuff.

Oh yeah.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2004, 12:55:04 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

please remove the knife from your frontal lobe, and explain how slink telling us what comics he likes in a conversational way is a DSW and
"Onstad contra Sal Tessio: Vitriol in Richtung zu Abe Vigoda und sein vile 'Dago'-stamm." is not a DSW?


Easily. They were different posts.

You're not one of them are you?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2004, 01:14:52 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm really just terribly confused at this point. Am I allowed to like both Achewood and Diesel Sweeties? Am I allowed to like Achewood given that I used to like Garfield? Is there some sort of trigonometric equation I can plug this all into?


You can like whatever the hell you want. I just find the need to compare against something the quintessential sign of insecurity.  You like Achewood, that's great. But why trash Garfield (even in the backhanded well i used to like it, but like all people i grew out of it way) ?. I've often found people who like "web comics" tend to trash traditional media to justify their choices.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2004, 02:36:26 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
You like Achewood, that's great. But why trash Garfield (even in the backhanded well i used to like it, but like all people i grew out of it way) ?. I've often found people who like "web comics" tend to trash traditional media to justify their choices.


I just....I view Jim Davis as the guy who started the whole idea of "Mondays as comedy," in which every 3rd comic is basically just someone saying, "ARGH! MONDAYS!"

THIS IS THE PRIMARY FORM OF COMEDY TODAY.

But I think we've been pretty cruel to web-based comics too, right? I'm not going to CortJst'r this, but didn't we shit all over Something Positive a while ago, and we were more or less ambivalent regarding Diesel Sweeties.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2004, 02:55:28 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
You like Achewood, that's great. But why trash Garfield (even in the backhanded well i used to like it, but like all people i grew out of it way) ?. I've often found people who like "web comics" tend to trash traditional media to justify their choices.


I just....I view Jim Davis as the guy who started the whole idea of "Mondays as comedy," in which every 3rd comic is basically just someone saying, "ARGH! MONDAYS!"

THIS IS THE PRIMARY FORM OF COMEDY TODAY.

But I think we've been pretty cruel to web-based comics too, right? I'm not going to CortJst'r this, but didn't we shit all over Something Positive a while ago, and we were more or less ambivalent regarding Diesel Sweeties.


Even handed cruelty doesnt really make the negativity any better. I've found in my travels that some people "grok" Achewood and others don't. Same goes for Garfield, Diesel Sweeties or whatever. I personally think Garfield is hilarious, because its not that Mondays Suck, it's how many ways Mondays suck. Repetition can be funny. I also find Dinosaur Comics to be quite hilarious. I find Achewood hilarious. This doesn't mean that I will go out of my way to disparage the Boondocks, or Diesel Sweeties or whatever.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2004, 03:16:07 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "arkabee"

please remove the knife from your frontal lobe, and explain how slink telling us what comics he likes in a conversational way is a DSW and
"Onstad contra Sal Tessio: Vitriol in Richtung zu Abe Vigoda und sein vile 'Dago'-stamm." is not a DSW?


Easily. They were different posts.

You're not one of them are you?


indeed i _am_ "one of 'them'".  i will leave it as an excercise to determine which "them" i "am".

also, your explanation is not.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2004, 03:23:59 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

You're not one of them are you?


indeed i _am_ "one of 'them'".  i will leave it as an excercise to determine which "them" i "am".


Vigoda supporter, of course.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2004, 03:45:23 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm really just terribly confused at this point. Am I allowed to like both Achewood and Diesel Sweeties? Am I allowed to like Achewood given that I used to like Garfield? Is there some sort of trigonometric equation I can plug this all into?


You can like whatever the hell you want. I just find the need to compare against something the quintessential sign of insecurity.  You like Achewood, that's great. But why trash Garfield (even in the backhanded well i used to like it, but like all people i grew out of it way) ?. I've often found people who like "web comics" tend to trash traditional media to justify their choices.

Well... I can only speak for myself, but I did like Garfield and then grew out of it. I would humbly submit that this is for two reasons: Garfield has gotten progressively less good, and I have grown away from the age and maturity level to which Garfield most appeals. YMMV, of course, and if you still like Garfield as an adult, hey, that's your right.

I didn't mean it as some sort of slagging of print comics -- there are several print comics I still enjoy a lot. (Foxtrot is funny, and Zits still hits home a little more than I'm totally comfortable with.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2004, 04:14:24 pm »

I never liked Garfield the comic strip.  The animated series was pretty good.  Anybody who disparages Peanuts deserves a beating.

Now, you must all acknowledge the correctitude of my opinions.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2004, 04:48:32 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I never liked Garfield the comic strip.  The animated series was pretty good.  Anybody who disparages Peanuts deserves a beating.

Now, you must all acknowledge the correctitude of my opinions.


EMACS RULES
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2004, 04:55:09 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
EMACS RULES


VI RULEZ,  EMACS DROOLZ
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2004, 06:25:28 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

Even handed cruelty doesnt really make the negativity any better.


Dude, all that started it was me saying that I was shocked to discover that Jim Davis was a filthy capitalist whoremonger.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2004, 06:46:56 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

Even handed cruelty doesnt really make the negativity any better.


Dude, all that started it was me saying that I was shocked to discover that Jim Davis was a filthy capitalist whoremonger.



I hate Mondays.
Logged

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
We are never safe, anywhere - 07 Oct 2004
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2004, 08:18:35 pm »

Quote
You like Achewood, that's great. But why trash Garfield (even in the backhanded well i used to like it, but like all people i grew out of it way) ?. I've often found people who like "web comics" tend to trash traditional media to justify their choices.


I like traditional comics plenty. Peanuts remains one of my favorites to this day, and Calvin & Hobbes always has a place in my heart somewhere or other. I never "grokked" Garfield.

Never thought people on this forum would be sensitive. Yeesh.

EDIT: Mondays rule.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up