Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod  (Read 31243 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2005, 09:42:49 pm »

Oh, on the earbuds front, my brother reckons the things to get are these Bang and Olufssen ones that are hooked round your ear, but the buds only sit over your erm, earhole. So they are really comfortable. And small.
I shall try and find a link for them.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2005, 09:48:27 pm »

Are they something like these? A coworker had these and liked them but the behind-the-ear part broke.

I have a previous version of these that I like for work. Since they're only connected by a cable instead I can take just one side off if somebody starts talking to me. Plus I need to be able to hear the phone ring &c so noise-blocking is a negative in this case so I definitely want a pair that just have the spongy stuff instead of in-ear or over-ear.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2005, 09:57:19 pm »

Kind of.
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sw1612.asp
The rounded bits bend or something, or stretch, and the long bit is telescopic so that it will fit properly over your ear. I will probably pick up a pair of these as they are only about £20, and they do look better than the over the ear but round the back of the neck type I had, which hurt after a while.
I have a really nice pair of Behringer studio ones for, well, studio use, and they are the best sound quality next to speakers.

I also want to pick up a pair of surround headphones at some point for films and gaming. Some day I might get into surround music, but I'd have to get a totally different setup studio wise, and that's just, not in consideration at the moment.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2005, 10:28:53 pm »

God, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't tolerate earbuds. My new Rio (yes, I know, ghetto, but it works fine for what I need it to do, which is to play MP3s) came with a set, to my chagrin; a few futile attempts to listen to music for more than ten minutes without terminal ear discomfort convinced me to go buy a pair of lightweight over-the-ear headphones.

I'm honestly surprised that (or if -- I really don't know) someone didn't sell white headphones of various sorts designed for the iPod user who hates earbuds like cavemen fear fire. It seems fairly logical.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2005, 11:00:29 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

I'm honestly surprised that (or if -- I really don't know) someone didn't sell white headphones of various sorts designed for the iPod user who hates earbuds like cavemen fear fire. It seems fairly logical.


Even if I did go for an iPod, I'd want silver, grey or black headphones over white any day. But then I guess that's a small part of why I don't want an iPod.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 11:52:56 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm honestly surprised that (or if -- I really don't know) someone didn't sell white headphones of various sorts designed for the iPod user who hates earbuds like cavemen fear fire. It seems fairly logical.

One company does. Apparently these are basicly the in-ear monitors that bands have been using lately. Apple also sells the exactly headphones that slink linked to above.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005, 12:01:47 am »

I got a set of canal phones for my iPod (Sony MDR-EX71) and I'll never go back to regular headphones or standard earbuds.

These go somewhat inside your ear, and it takes a few hours of listening to get used to, but I can hear detail in my music (yes, even in mp3s) that I could never hear before. It's like discovering your old music again.

I thought the iPod sounded like shit until I got these earphones.  Do yourself a favour - toss the white crappy (and far too large for most ears) earbuds.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2005, 12:11:52 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I got a set of canal phones for my iPod (Sony MDR-EX71) and I'll never go back to regular headphones or standard earbuds.

These go somewhat inside your ear, and it takes a few hours of listening to get used to, but I can hear detail in my music (yes, even in mp3s) that I could never hear before. It's like discovering your old music again.

I've seriously considered these. I always wear earplugs at concerts so the sensation shouldn't bother me but I'm worried that thse headphones would be too good and would keep me from hearing traffic while walking or coworkers while at my desk. Although I never have the volume above 20% so that should help.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2005, 12:12:12 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I got a set of canal phones for my iPod (Sony MDR-EX71) and I'll never go back to regular headphones or standard earbuds.


My boss got me a set of ear bangers from Shure for Christmas.  They're incredible, but they do take some getting used to.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2005, 12:34:55 am »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "jough"
I got a set of canal phones for my iPod (Sony MDR-EX71) and I'll never go back to regular headphones or standard earbuds.


My boss got me a set of ear bangers from Shure for Christmas.  They're incredible, but they do take some getting used to.


Yeah, they're probably a lot nicer than mine, and there are these etonyics (or something like that) that are supposed to be the BEST - but there's no way I'm paying $400 for a set of headphones whose cord is likely to get snagged on a closing subway door.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2005, 03:20:03 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I got a set of canal phones for my iPod (Sony MDR-EX71) and I'll never go back to regular headphones or standard earbuds.

These go somewhat inside your ear, and it takes a few hours of listening to get used to, but I can hear detail in my music (yes, even in mp3s) that I could never hear before. It's like discovering your old music again.

I thought the iPod sounded like shit until I got these earphones.  Do yourself a favour - toss the white crappy (and far too large for most ears) earbuds.


According to Amazon those Sonys aren't available for pickup in my area.  I'll have to check Best Buy and a few other places.  Tomorrow I think I'll just use those over the ear ones that make my head look even bigger (my ex-girlfriend laughed everytime I wore them).  I think I just have weird ears, because if anything besides soft foam ear plugs has to be in there intense pain results.  Well, maybe not intense but its pretty bad, especially when I remove the earbuds.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2005, 02:49:21 pm »

Have you checked out the new iPod Shuffle?  Size of a pack of Wrigley's.

While you're there, look at the Mac Mini.  Is it wrong to have a fetish for Mac design?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2005, 03:26:59 pm »

Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Have you checked out the new iPod Shuffle?  Size of a pack of Wrigley's.

While you're there, look at the Mac Mini.  Is it wrong to have a fetish for Mac design?


Wow, that shuffle is pretty cool.  Eventually I'd like a smaller mp3 player to take running and biking and stuff.  4GB is ideal, but I ain't paying $249 for it.  512MB or 1GB are good for running and the gym, but not for longer excursions.

I heard about the Mac Mini.  Only $499, right?  And it's only wrong if the fetish is somehow harmful to your relationships.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 03:49:12 pm »

Doesn't the iPod Shuffle sound like a dance?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 03:55:30 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Doesn't the iPod Shuffle sound like a dance?


It sounds like some kind of a line dance for super-yuppie rednecks.  It's the craze that swept the nation, and burned itself out in two days like a vomitous flu.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up