Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod  (Read 31280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2005, 06:32:52 pm »

The iPod shuffle is what happens when very smart people try to come up with marketing for an ill-conceived product.

Think about it: they want to make it small and cheap but displays are expensive and take up a lot of real estate on the product.

Hmm... what can we do?

Oh, I know!  We'll not have a display and just make it shuffle all the time!

fuck*ng geniuses.  The sad part is that people will actually buy one even though there are better and smaller players out there that are also cheaper and have a display.

Edit:
How to turn your iPod into an iPod shuffle

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2005, 06:58:19 pm »

Yeah, I don't really understand the iPod Shuffle, but I guess that's because it's for people who don't just dump their entire music collections, only their favorites. So it's more of me, not them.
And yeah, I'm really happy about the Mini. Finally, I can actually suggest to familiar relations that they get a Mac, without having to worry about them spending too much.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2005, 07:28:32 pm »

Indeed. I had to buy a case/belt clip for my iPod with a screen because I frequently hear a song and go, "what the hell is this?"

Quote from: "Lileks"
So the iPod shuffle for me is the walk-the-dog iPod, the one that has all the recent songs I want to play into the ground. It’s light; you don’t have to worry about scratching the screen. And I’m sure I’ll have a breathless defense of the inevitable iPod-the-size-of-an-ant-thorax, which will let me play highlights of the chorus of my favorite song. Fifteen seconds in your pocket!


Uh, the whole reason I got a big-ass iPod is that I hate, hate, hate making mix tapes/CDs/playlists for myself because I get sick of the songs after 2 listens. I see no reason to spend $150 to go back to this system.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2005, 09:33:27 pm »

Just got a 40GB iPod for my birthday.  I have charged it up, but have yet to start using it.  I'm scared of it, because I know it's going to take over my life as surely as that pod I found in my mailbox last November.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2005, 09:53:00 pm »

First of all, happy birthday.

Secondly, congrats on your new iPod.  I love mine, although I do wish it were half the size, weight, and twice the capacity.  But whatever.  It'll look quaint in five years.  Right now it works for me.

And what's the good news about the iPod mini?  I must have missed that.  Did they lower the price now that the Shuffle is out?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2005, 09:54:41 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
And what's the good news about the iPod mini?  I must have missed that.  Did they lower the price now that the Shuffle is out?

Nope. He was refering to the Mac Mini which only costs $499
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2005, 10:03:27 pm »

Oh yeah, $499 with no monitor, keyboard, or penis.

I can get a whole PC system for around that price with a larger hard drive and faster processor.

Apple really missed the mark this year with unsexy and poorly-thought-out devices.

I was thinking of maybe getting a Mac desktop but fuck it.  Apple can't even touch the PC's ubiquity and quality for the price.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2005, 10:08:54 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Oh yeah, $499 with no monitor, keyboard, or penis.

I can get a whole PC system for around that price with a larger hard drive and faster processor.

Apple really missed the mark this year with unsexy and poorly-thought-out devices.

I was thinking of maybe getting a Mac desktop but fuck it.  Apple can't even touch the PC's ubiquity and quality for the price.


have they finally ported OSX to x86?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2005, 10:14:39 pm »

Just out of curiosity, I priced-out a Mini with some of the "optional accessories" that I already have for my PC:

 • 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• SuperDrive
• Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
• Wireless Keyboard & penis Set
• 56K v.92 Modem
• Mac OS X - U.S. English
• APP for Mac mini - Enrollment Kit
• 1.42GHz PowerPC G4

Estimated Ship:
Deliver by Jan 22nd
Free Shipping
Subtotal $1,151.00

Oh yeah, that price does not include a monitor yet.

Meanwhile, you can go to any Best Buy and get a system with more oomph that'll run Linux for less than that, monitor included.

So as far as I see, the only reason the Mini is so cheap is because they gutted it.  If you want to actually be able to use it you'll have to pay about the same as you would for a high-end PC.

This is a bargain how?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2005, 10:19:35 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

have they finally ported OSX to x86?


The difference in front-ends between the latest KDE and OSX are not compelling enough to someone who knows how to use a PC to warrant the expense and annoyance of proprietary hardware.

I'd still like to have a Mac test machine, but for the same price as a Mini with a monitor and wireless internet I could just get a 17" G5 with a faster processor and better video card.

I'm not bashing Macs in general - I'm saying that the Mini isn't a value because the low price tag just obscures its lack of features and sub-par hardware.  When you add these "optional accessories" (another term for "things you absolutely need to use the Mini") the price is about the same as the higher-end product.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2005, 10:40:21 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

I'm not bashing Macs in general - I'm saying that the Mini isn't a value because the low price tag just obscures its lack of features and sub-par hardware.  When you add these "optional accessories" (another term for "things you absolutely need to use the Mini") the price is about the same as the higher-end product.


yet you compare it to products that can not do something that it can do.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2005, 10:52:31 pm »

What do you think the Mac Mini can do that a G5 or PC system cannot do?

I mean, if you're going to talk about *specific versions* of software then there are FAR more pieces of useful software that will not run on a Mac than there are useful Mac programmes that will not run on a PC.  

I'm comparing functionality, not specific software titles.  And besides, I can run most OS X apps on my Linux box.  So software isn't even an issue.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2005, 12:20:37 am »

When I was into Macs, I thought PCs were a pain in the ass. Now I'm kind of stuck with PCs, and I've gotten used to them. But in general, I'd say for the 5-10% of people who use Macs, there must be some sort of reason for it. High-end graphic design, maybe?

I know I really liked playing Marathon when I had mine.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2005, 12:28:14 am »

Personally, I just think that Apple has put a lot of thought into their designs, both physical and interface-wise. The ease of use, for me, massively trumps anything with PCs. Also, everyone I know on a PC has gotten assfucked by viruses and spyware, etc. Most of these people are idiots, in terms of watching what they download, etc., but I just don't want to have to worry that some bug in Internet Explorer allows someone to destroy my computer through a JPG.
Also, I do a lot of graphic design (the t-shirts will be ready for sellin' by the end of the week!), and even if PCs can now match Macs for design, they're just so par for the design course that you might as well go with a PowerBook.
I'm happy the Mini came out because I'm the only person in my fathers family who knows how to turn on a computer, so every time someone gets infected with something, I'm the person they call. Now, hopefully, I can just point them to the Mini.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2005, 12:31:01 am »

My Mom always asked me to fix her Mac (usually it was more like pointing her to the internet) so now I'm sort of happy to be on a PC and be able to say "I dunno, ask my brother".

You know, if you put that avatar on a shirt, I'd probably buy it. It's just strange enough for me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up