Well, my HP laptop that I'm using now is great looking. Lots of soothing blue lights. Even Mac people comment on how cool my PC looks (and I can understand that if you want a black PC the Mac's choice of "glossy white or nothing!" is a bit annoying).
Of course, I love my little iPod. But I don't really need to redecorate my entire life to match it.
Any recent Linux build will be just as fast, if not faster, than OS X. That ain't no kind of comparison.
I find most software for the Mac to be simplistic at times. Sure, it's uncluttered, and you can usually dig down into menus and such to get to the more advanced features, and sure, most people won't need to have that much control most of the time, but dang, it sure makes it seem weak. I guess I'd get used to it, but I'm already used to Windows and Linux - why suffer through a new OS?
So if I get a Mac it will be as a toy - something to test web designs on (hitherto I pretty much just ignore the Mac but code to web standards - so I know my sites will at least look good in Mozilla, Firefox, Safari, and Opera, for the most part) but it would be nice to have a Mac on hand, and I must admit that Garage Band and some of the other iLife apps are easier to use and a lot cheaper than their PC-based competitors.
The real problem, of course, is that computers are still pretty primative even at their best and that each major platform has its own major flaws.
Yes, Windows is a big slow bloated piece of crap, but damn, it's everywhere, and it's easy to go anywhere in the world and plug in a USB hard drive and just start working. And honestly, Windows hasn't crashed for me in months. My applications just *work*, and I get a lot done.
Would I get more done with a Mac? I'd really like to take the Pepsi challenge, but I just can't justify the expense for something I'd use for an hour a week to surf my own web sites.
I may just eBay an old iMac for a couple hundred bucks. At least it's really nice looking, like a 1930s lamp with a screen attached to it, and I'm sure it'll surf the web and maybe even run the latest Mac OS.
But the current offerings - eyuch. There's really no market for the Mini excepf for a Mac enthusiast who has to have every Mac they put out. They're marketing it as a box to switch PC users over to the Mac, but when people notice that it doesn't have features that even low-end PCs have they won't think "Oh, I should've bought a higher-end Mac" - they'll think "Mac sucks. I can't do anything. I'm going back to Windows."