Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod  (Read 31259 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2005, 02:04:52 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
And the click wheel is awesome.  It's just a pleasure to use, even if I wish its sensitivity was adjustable.

Mine has the touch wheel but I agree. It's supposed to jump down the list if you move your finger faster but sometimes this is unpredictable.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2005, 03:38:06 pm »

Yes, it does do this, but the difference in speed between jumping down *faster* and just zipping you all the way to the bottom of the list is ever so slight.  I'm pretty good at zipping right to M now but if I want to go from M to S - forget it - I have to move slowly through all of them.

But I mean, having so much music on the thing that it takes ten seconds to queue up any song isn't that much of a problem.  I don't see this being solved until it accepts voice commands "Play Abba's "Dancing Queen".

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2005, 08:04:29 pm »

What program do you use for ripping mp3's from CD?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2005, 09:33:34 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
What program do you use for ripping mp3's from CD?

I use Audiograbber to rip and LAME with the --alt present standard argument to encode.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2005, 09:34:01 pm »

CJ'd...
And I screwed up the url anyway.

My advice is to make sure it's set on true stereo not joint stereo, which does horrific things to panning, including removing whole layers of songs in worst case scenario. But then I lived with an electrical engineer who knew scary amounts about that kind of thing.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2005, 09:56:17 pm »

I use audiograbber and LAME, too, but -alt-standard-preset only applies to very old versions of lame.  The new ones ignore that flag and in fact use what used to be the alternate settings as the default now.

I generally rip at 192kbsp CBR, stereo, high quality (it takes longer, but not much longer, and then I have the mp3s to listen to for years - what's two minutes of extra rip time for a lifetime of listening? - especially since it makes a HUGE difference).

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2005, 09:59:28 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I use audiograbber and LAME, too, but -alt-standard-preset only applies to very old versions of lame.  The new ones ignore that flag and in fact use what used to be the alternate settings as the default now.

I still use the older version because according to Hydrogen Audio it's still superior to the newer builds. Plus I've just never bothered upgrading.

The one advantage the newer builds have is that since aps is now built in one can use LAME from within AG instead of launching it as a separate app with aps as the argument.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2005, 04:04:59 pm »

Are any of you proud and (relatively) new iPod owners having problems with battery life--already?

I am.  And it's only been about 3 and 1/2 months since I received it brand shiny new in the mail.

After I had it on for just under four hours last night at work, it looked like the battery was on the verge of dying.  It wasn't on shuffle, I wasn't changing songs all the time (only after an album ended, typically), and it was fully charged before I started using it.

Any advice?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2005, 04:15:58 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Are any of you proud and (relatively) new iPod owners having problems with battery life--already?

I am.  And it's only been about 3 and 1/2 months since I received it brand shiny new in the mail.

After I had it on for just under four hours last night at work, it looked like the battery was on the verge of dying.  It wasn't on shuffle, I wasn't changing songs all the time (only after an album ended, typically), and it was fully charged before I started using it.

Any advice?

Yikes. Mine's decreased slightly but nothing that drastic. The only thing I can think of is to check ipodlounge and see what they have to say.
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2005, 04:47:30 pm »

if you got the warranty i think they'll replace your battery for free.  if you got it off ebay or something, though, you'll have to pay a fee to have apple do it - and as far as i know, this is really the only way to fix the problem.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2005, 05:53:45 pm »

I'd check IpodLounge.com for suggestions on 3rd party battery replacement if you're not under warranty.  Apple charges $99, whereas I've seen 3rd party places charge only $40.

I get about 14 hours with my 4G Clickwheel 40Gb iPod purchased last November.  I use it about six to eight hours a day and charge it every other day.

I shuffle all the time and have the backlight set to 10 seconds, and I tend to adjust the volume often or turn the wheel slightly to better read the track info if I'm listening to an album I don't know well.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2005, 06:13:54 pm »

I think I'll just email Apple.  I should be under warranty it sounds like, and they consider a battery to be defective if it's under 50% power.  I bet it takes them forever to get it done though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2005, 07:38:52 pm »

Do you have an extended AppleCare warranty or the standard warranty?

I know the AppleCare SLA is a week turnaround.  And they want you to wipe the iPod clean and re-format before sending back.  I'd recommend a destructive re-image - there are programmes like CleanSweep that will fill the disc with all zeroes and all ones a few times to make your data reasonably destroyed.

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer to send in electronics for service without the hard drive, because if I need to get rid of a drive I like to not only erase it completely but also to physically destroy the drive plates, and then melt the crunched plates and throw them in a dumpster somewhere where they'll just end up in a landfill.

But your data may not be that sensitive.

I got my iPod from HP because of their superiour warranty - also, I got the accidental damage plan so even if I drop it and break the screen I'm covered.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2005, 11:53:31 pm »

Have any of you iPod owners here in N. America travelled internationally with it?  I'm going to Germany Thursday.  It looks like I'll just need a plug adapter for the charger, and not a converter, but I just wanted to make sure.

The only thing about my iPod that I anticipate being frustrated with on the trip is the battery life.  I'm guessing it won't last the whole flight (or maybe even a train ride I'll be taking).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2005, 01:22:44 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Have any of you iPod owners here in N. America travelled internationally with it?  I'm going to Germany Thursday.  It looks like I'll just need a plug adapter for the charger, and not a converter, but I just wanted to make sure.

The only thing about my iPod that I anticipate being frustrated with on the trip is the battery life.  I'm guessing it won't last the whole flight (or maybe even a train ride I'll be taking).

Apparently the little cube charger they give you is already a converter (it goes from wall current to firewire) so all you need is new set of prongs to fit into that thing. See here.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up