Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod  (Read 31180 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2006, 09:33:57 pm »

I don't know if there are Apple stores in Brasil, but your last resort is always to force a reset.  I forget how to do it, though - it involves plugging it into a power source, holding two buttons together for a few seconds, etc.  It's not difficult but you have to do it exactly right.

For a Touch Wheel version you plug it in (preferrably to the wall) then hold Menu and Play/Pause for 5 seconds. I believe the same is true with Click Wheels.

Just as an aside, if you use Windows it's always preferrable to charge an iPod by plugging it into the wall instead of charging via USB or Firewire. Windows has a tendency to never let the hard drive spin down for the entire time it's plugged in which can drastically reduce the lifespan of the device. Some posters on iLounge insist that you even get a larger charge via plugging into the wall regardless of Win/Mac usage but I don't know how extensively that was tested.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2006, 10:15:26 pm »

I tried holding menu+the select button like Apple says, but not while plugged to the wall. Will do it when I get home tonight.

Thanks everyone!
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2006, 12:57:01 am »

I also have already looked at iTunes, found it HORRIBLE and inadequate, and have uninstalled it already.  I will never use iTunes with my iPod.

thanks to Smart Playlists in iTunes, which I'm just starting to use more and more.

Isn't growth a wonderful thing?

I got one of those 60GB video Ipods. It's pretty neat. Anyone know any good places where I can get media that actually showcases the video capability? All I have so far is the Foo Fighters videos.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2006, 05:33:14 am »

To my credit, I was referring then to the iTunes music store, and not the iTunes library/application, which has gotten a lot better since the awful crash prone monstrosity that shipped with my first iPod.  So yes, growth - but growth from Apple, who improved their software.

I actually still don't use iTunes, to be honest - I just don't feel comfortable posting which pirateware that I do use.

I get my videos from Mininova.org.  Just search for "iPod" and you'll find movies, tv shows, and music videos, all formatted for your tiny low-res iPod's screen!

(I'm kind of a snob as I watch movies on my Palm T|X which is twice the resolution of the iPod on a screen that is 60% larger that costs $100 less and also is a computer, ebook reader, email client, web surfer, date book, games machine, and also plays mp3s.

I love my Palm T|X.  It's replaced my laptop.  My iPod is nice for when I go for a walk or something and don't mind carrying something small and easy to manipulate with one hand while it's still in my pocket. </aside>)

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2006, 11:05:47 am »

(I'm kind of a snob as I watch movies on my Palm T|X which is twice the resolution of the iPod on a screen that is 60% larger that costs $100 less and also is a computer, ebook reader, email client, web surfer, date book, games machine, and also plays mp3s.

I hope you realize I will hold you fully responsible if I now go and spend all my savings on a Palm TX. Damn youse.  :P

Seriously though, I guess you have to buy memory cards for that thing also, right?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »

You don't HAVE to, but yeah, I have a 2Gb SD card in mine that lets me carry around 5 movies, or 10 episodes of 24, or 3 movies, an episode of 24, and two episodes of The Boondocks, or... well, you get the idea.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2006, 09:02:39 pm »

I get my videos from Mininova.org.  Just search for "iPod" and you'll find movies, tv shows, and music videos, all formatted for your tiny low-res iPod's screen!

Thanks for this.

(I'm kind of a snob . . .)

Yeah?

Also, anybody use allofmp3.com? I'm wondering if it's too good to be true.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2006, 09:20:11 pm »

Dude, there's a search box above.

Yeah, as mentioned in this and other threads, AllOfMP3.com is awesome.  I have nothing but nice things to say about their service.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2006, 09:20:41 pm »

Also, anybody use allofmp3.com? I'm wondering if it's too good to be true.

I do, it's not.  They have basically everything, and most things you can get encoded how you want - I've never had a problem with sound quality or availability, there's no DRM, and per-CD prices are about $1.00.  The only downside is the dubious legality, but apparently (for now, at least), it's totally on the level.  And if it ever isn't on the level, your MP3s are un-DRMed, so who cares.

I use musicmp3.ru more though - it's half the price, with about half the selection, and no custom encoding.  192kbps MP3 is OK with me though, so I always look here first, then allofmp3 second.

Also, what Jough said.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2006, 09:23:35 pm »

Apologies, I'm somewhat new here. Also, as has been pointed out somewhere, this new board has a shitload of buttons. Sorry again.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2006, 09:40:47 pm »

My car stereo just died, so I got a new one.  A fairly low-end model, but for $100 these days you can get a deck that plays regular CDs, discs with MP3, and throws in a place you can plug in your iPod or other MP3 player.  The latter two are big reasons why I chose this particular model.

I had it installed today.  And the douchebags didn't install the so-called "iPlug."  You have to plug it in the back of the stereo, then run a little cable out to the front, to which you can attach your MP3 playin' doo-hickey.  But there it is in the box, rather than attached to the fuck*ng deck like it's supposed to be.

SCREW YOU, MAN
entering enemy mode...
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2006, 10:06:44 pm »

and throws in a place you can plug in your iPod or other MP3 player.

OMG I SO need this. Thank you for having a disaster that you had to post about before I spent money on some other solution to my problem!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2006, 10:50:19 pm »

I got the fancier kind that actually has dock connector. So it charges the iPod and shows the song title right in the display. I can even change playlists right from the deck. But if I had it to do again I'd go the cheaper route where the stereo just has a line-in plug in the front. It's not really that much more convenient to have the song in the stereo than  just looking in the cup holder and seeing the artist and album also. Plus this way I'm locked into iPod only.
Logged

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2006, 11:51:45 am »

My car has an ass-old radio/cassette player, and I've been thinking of replacing it with a CD player that plays mp3s and stuff. However I've now decided to just buy a good portable mp3 player (probably an iPod) because then I can just plug it in with this. Nice!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2006, 09:13:08 pm »

So does the FM transmitter you can connect to the I-pod to make it play out a nearby radio suck? Seems like that is a pretty easy solution too.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up