Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod  (Read 31163 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2006, 09:19:15 pm »

I got one of those transmitters dealies. It's ok, I guess. A little bit of a pain in the ass because it is on this sort of tenuous articulated arm that plugs into the power-port (being as how the port is set back in the dash so far). Then you have to jam the IPod into it, and that connection is a bit sketchy too. It works, but I'm sure it'll be broken soon.

It's roughly this one. It's got some sort of shim that goes behind the ipod to make it more steady in the charger part, but of course none of them fit the video iPod quite right.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2006, 11:10:30 pm »

The little transmitter things, especially from Griffin Technologies, work VERY well unless you live in a major metropolitan area, as I do - then they suck teh coq.

A line-in on your car head-unit is the best option, and a cassette adapter is the second best - but who has a cassette adapter in a new car stereo anymore?  Everything's CD now.

A lot of car stereos also will play MP3 CDs, so you can bring a couple hundred songs with you on a single disc at least.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2006, 12:44:52 am »

but who has a cassette adapter in a new car stereo anymore?  Everything's CD now.

I do.  But I stopped using it.  I like my in ear headphones too much.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2006, 12:50:24 am »

my I-Pod seems to have developed it's own list of favorites.  There are literally thousands of songs it has yet to play even once, yet it has played 'Cities on Flame with Rock 'n Roll' 9 times now.  I like that song, but not that much.

I guess I shouldn't have complained, because my i-pod now has a new favorite song, it's Childern of the World by the Bee Gees.  I like the Bee Gees, but this is a very silly song.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2006, 01:14:56 am »

I do.  But I stopped using it.  I like my in ear headphones too much.

Um, Paul, are you saying that you wear in-ear headphones when you're driving? Because while I applaud living life on the edge, I'd hate to run a test to find out how long it took to realize someone on the forum was dead.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2006, 01:57:01 am »

Um, Paul, are you saying that you wear in-ear headphones when you're driving? Because while I applaud living life on the edge, I'd hate to run a test to find out how long it took to realize someone on the forum was dead.

I've got that covered
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2006, 02:10:48 am »

Not to be too much of a dick, but driving with headphones on is decidedly not a good idea.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2006, 02:50:13 am »

Yeah, not only is driving with headphones on kinda stupid, as you won't be able to hear traffic, horns, trains, etc., but also it is illegal in pretty much every state in the union (except maybe Texas, where just about everything is legal).  Since just about everything is illegal in Utah, I wouldn't be surprised if you got pulled over.  Of course, since you won't be able to hear the siren, you'll probably end up serving some jail time for fleeing from the police.

It's not just stupid and dangerous for YOU, but if you hit and kill someone else it could ruin their whole day as well. 

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, Paul.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2006, 03:44:27 am »

In VA it's actually only illegal to drive with a pair of headphones on. If you wear just one that's kosher. I'm guessing this is true in most states as otherwise hands-free cell phone accessories wouldn't be allowed.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2006, 04:40:15 am »

In VA it's actually only illegal to drive with a pair of headphones on. If you wear just one that's kosher. I'm guessing this is true in most states as otherwise hands-free cell phone accessories wouldn't be allowed.

As they fuck*ng well ought not to be. Jesus I wish people would focus on the driving.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2006, 05:28:40 am »

Yeah, not only is driving with headphones on kinda stupid, as you won't be able to hear traffic, horns, trains, etc.,

Do they let deaf people drive in your state?  I never had to take a hearing test before I got my license.

Do they cite people for driving with the radio turned up loud?  How about for having an animated conversation?

I drive with one earphone in pretty much constanty, because my car doesn't have a radio and it's the only way I can listen to books.  I can hear traffic.  I can hear horns and sirens.  I'm not sure how much difference it would make if I couldn't, but whatever.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2006, 05:34:29 am »

Do they let deaf people drive in your state?  I never had to take a hearing test before I got my license.

Do they cite people for driving with the radio turned up loud?  How about for having an animated conversation?

I drive with one earphone in pretty much constanty, because my car doesn't have a radio and it's the only way I can listen to books.  I can hear traffic.  I can hear horns and sirens.  I'm not sure how much difference it would make if I couldn't, but whatever.

One headphone? Cool. As long as you can hear other things going on, I got no problem with that. Animated conversation? They ought to cite people. Keep your eyes forward, and focus on the driving. Music too loud? Same thing. Automobiles are extremely dangerous. Quite frankly, they ought to make licenses much harder to get. They ought to cost hundreds of dollars every year, and that money ought to fund the shit out of public transportation. 90% of drivers ought not to be on the road.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2006, 06:24:27 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2006, 08:03:28 am »

Fuck you too Paul.  I hope that when you die in your fiery auto-wreck it's only because you crashed into a pole and not into a Pole or a Czech or something.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Ubiquity, thy name is iPod
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2006, 08:04:18 am »

Yes paul, please do not crash into 1/4th of me.


Or any other fraction.  BE SAFE.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up