Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Team America: World Police  (Read 3607 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Team America: World Police
« on: October 21, 2004, 04:21:43 am »

Since the humour in South Park II Team America: World Police, is likely to appeal to fans of Achewood, I'm wondering what others here thought of it.

I have to admit to finding it hilarious for the first twenty minutes, after which I was bored (until a song started).  But now that I've been listening to the soundtrack for the past few days, I'm really impressed by the music (as I was with the South Park movie soundtrack).

I don't know how this one will hold up to repeat viewings on DVD (the SP movie was a living room staple for weeks after the DVD first came out) but damn, funny songs.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Team America: World Police
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 05:35:53 am »

haven't seen it but what i hear is: the this flick so so dumb, sick poopy-humor, with some politics thrown in (as more of a setting than the base of the actual jokes) that it ends up being worth the seat price.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Team America: World Police
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 05:43:17 am »

I don't know if it has potty humour (although there is a barf gag -but that has more to do with "look how funny it is that the puppet is throwing up 5X his body weight!" than it does with the actual vomit) but yeah, it's a pretty dumb movie.  I mean, it has foul-mouthed puppets.

The songs are great, though - very funny and not too far from their non-satire marks.

The real problem with the film is that it's a boring action movie.  But with puppets.  And funny songs.  It's like Pearl Harbor but with less wooden acting.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Team America: World Police
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 12:32:03 pm »

I got pretty bored of what Matt and Trey were doing for a long time, although they would often win me back (the SP movie, season 6 of SP which I enjoyed - then got bored of again straight after). So anyway, I was just set thinking Matt and Trey weren't going to do anything interesting again, and this crops up.
Not seen it yet, what with being in the UK, but I shall. I think they have just managed to win me back again. Bastards!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Team America: World Police
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 01:55:39 pm »

Unfortunately, the four-plex here in town probably won't touch this one with a ten-foot pole, so I'm going to have a make a trek if I want to see this.  I'm hoping it'll be worth the half-hour drive.  If it is even still playing this weekend.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Team America: World Police
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:05:47 pm »

I liked it.

"America!  FUCK YEAH!"
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Team America: World Police
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 04:52:37 pm »

Yeah, the songs were fuck*ng hilarious and ALMOST worth watching an hour and a half long movie just to hear/see (sometimes the visuals and music together is funnier than just the songs).

Anyway, I've been playing the soundtrack for a few days straight now and am loving it.  I just wish the movie hadn't run out of steam after the first 20 minutes.

I mean, there is only so much puppet-related-humour to be drawn from that particular well.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Team America: World Police
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 03:08:08 pm »

I thought the puppets were amazing.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Team America: World Police
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 04:21:33 pm »

They were very expressive, and often I found the Uncanny Valley rearing its ugly head (excuse the pun).

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Team America: World Police
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 05:13:18 pm »

Now that I work at a childrens theatre most days, where puppet making is the name of the game, it was a cathartic, wonderful release to see fuck*ng, swearing puppets.  I have to agree with you that it did get a little boring between songs at the end.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Team America: World Police
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 07:42:14 pm »

I thought it was hilarious.  It was the perfect parody of the old formulaic action movies.  Today's action movies are still formulaic, but the old ones were exactly like this.  The little gags were hilarious: the constantly moving boss' chair, the signal for "something's gone wrong", and the fact that the panthers were actually just house cats.  The "Montage" song changed my life.  The facts that they blew Michael Moore the hell up and made a Garofalo puppet with "shotgun-pop" head were wonderful.  JL remarked that it was much more even-handed than she expected (though she would never say she liked it).

I don't think this was a good movie.  But it was funny as hell.  I didn't need a good movie.  I needed to laugh a couple of times.  Mission accomplished.  

It needed more oral sex.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Team America: World Police
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 08:17:43 pm »

Speaking of puppets, I rewatched the beginning of Being John Malcovich the other day.  I hadn't remembered how impressive the puppetry is in that movie.  Wow.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Team America: World Police
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 08:34:11 pm »

Yeah, the puppetry in BJM was way more impressive than in Team America.

It's too bad they couldn't get that guy to work on TA: WP.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Team America: World Police
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 08:46:10 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, the puppetry in BJM was way more impressive than in Team America.

It's too bad they couldn't get that guy to work on TA: WP.


I disagree.  I think half the charm of the movie was how absolutely crappily it was made.  One puppet poking another in the eye while trying to point at his heart was incredibly funny.  There are a lot of movies that you cannot take seriously. This one forbade you from even trying.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Team America: World Police
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 11:29:20 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

It needed more oral sex.


And, really, what puppet-show DOESN'T?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up