Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: verizon wireless  (Read 7119 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
verizon wireless
« on: October 21, 2004, 05:47:43 am »

so i've been working for VZW for some months now in cust. service, and thought i'd throw that fact out here and say, hey, i can answer yr questions and tell you how not to get fucked over and other hints/tips/tricks, if y'all want, just as a service to the achewood community.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
verizon wireless
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 05:51:40 am »

I decided to get fucked over by Verizon any more, so I switched my cell phone service to Nextel.  I get five times the service and pay half as much.

But what kinds of tips and tricks did you have in mind?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
verizon wireless
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 01:14:29 pm »

I'm considering piggy-backing on my SO's Verizon plan. I don't use enough minutes to justify a plan on my own and Verizon is the only provider that works in the metro.

Of course I'm not even sure if her current plan is eligible for adding a line, or if I'd get to keep my # (I'm with Cingular now)
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
verizon wireless
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 02:21:57 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

or if I'd get to keep my # (I'm with Cingular now)


Probably not for much less money than switching normally...
I wanted to take one of my numbers across from a different network (OK, it's the UK so they probably charge way more still anyway) but it was just going to cost too much, and in the end it was so much easier to just get a contract phone with the other one.
I just wish we'd hurry up and get to the point where cells are cheaper, or at least the same price as landlines for all calls.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
verizon wireless
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 03:25:02 pm »

I'm just wondering what phone to get.  My geek nature would love a BlackBerry, but I wonder if that's really what I want to carry to, say, a softball game.

Our company has a discount deal with Verizon, and I'm fine with the plan, but they provide a dazzling array of phones at every price point from free (w/contract) to $560.  Aside from glaringly obvious things like the inclusion of a camera, or the Treo 600, I'm not sure what makes one phone $50 more than another.  Any suggestions on features I should be seeking out?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
verizon wireless
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:57:45 pm »

i have to go to work and deal with the angry masses right now, i'll get to yr questions later.

(this is an example of standard service from verizon, expect nothing more.)
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
verizon wireless
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 04:06:31 pm »

I'm just sad that with all these newfangeled polyphonic tones and proprietary systems I can no longer e-mail ringtones to myself for free. Which is sad because then my new phone won't play Tank!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
verizon wireless
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 04:54:20 pm »

I got a motorola through Nextel, and while I can't e-mail myself ringtones I got a $10 data cable and can upload them to my heart's content (they're just midi files with a proprietary file wrapper).

Anyway, the port on the Moto phones is universal, so even if you go with Verizon you can get a cool moto phone and upload ringtones, games, wallpapers, etc., to your phone for free.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
verizon wireless
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 06:04:21 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Which is sad because then my new phone won't play Tank!


That is such an excellent and perfect choice. Normally I hate that cell-phone-playing-music shit, because songs always seem to play from the start rather than the good part, which is usually the chorus. Our library patrons, I can report with confidence, all have uniformly terrible taste in songs they would like to hear the first six seconds of many times a day. And if I had a dollar for every time I heard Ozzy scream ALL ABOARRRRRRRRRRRD from my friend's cell phone, I'd have all these dollars.

The only other song I would even consider having as a ringtone, if my cellphone wasn't an amusing, scalding relic, is Big Show's entrance music.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
verizon wireless
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 06:16:05 pm »

I have a nice wav file of an old Bell telephone ringing as my ringtone.

But sometimes, when I'm feeling sassy, I'll use the ringer from Flint's phone as my ringtone.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
verizon wireless
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 07:25:29 pm »

I'm also considerate because my phone is set on ascending. So it starts ringing & vibrating very quietly and gets louder as it goes. I usueally feel it against my leg and can answer it before it bothers anybody.

But you're right, so many ringtones are the song opening instead of the chorus which makes no sense to me. Unless it was a theme because they generally have spoken intros or very distinctive opening hooks. I dunno about using Show's music, in fact I can't even think of what it sounds like. Besides, ever time your phone rang you'd have to resist the urge to shout "Oh my gawd! That's the Big Show's music! Hoss BBQ sauce government mule slobber-knocker!"

I tried putting the 6-note Good Eats theme on the SO's phone but I could only find it in Nokia format and she has an LG phone.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
verizon wireless
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 07:36:18 pm »

My phone in residence kept not working in mysterious ways, so I gave up, cancelled it, and bought a cell phone.  Now I kind of hate myself.  However, I do refuse to use any ring that does not at least approximate the sound of a phone ringing.
Logged
goose means greedy

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
verizon wireless
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 07:43:58 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I dunno about using Show's music, in fact I can't even think of what it sounds like.


WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

WELL IT'S THE BIG SHOW

YEAH IT'S A BIG BAD SHOW TONIIIIIGHT
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
verizon wireless
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 08:17:53 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I have a nice wav file of an old Bell telephone ringing as my ringtone.


I have little choice. Mine (Sony t610) came with that or a bunch of shitty polyphonic messes. All I wanted was a really plain cell ringtone, but no...

I do though have the Final Fantasy theme, Monkey Island theme, some Sam and Max music and the music for the first Doom level. I occasionally switch it to the MI theme as I think it kicks ass, but it takes too long to get started, and is too quiet. Mind, I use ascending ring volume and the vibrate to try and have it make as little noise as possible.

I fuck*ng hate phones! And I hate not having mine on me...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
verizon wireless
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 02:38:28 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm considering piggy-backing on my SO's Verizon plan. I don't use enough minutes to justify a plan on my own and Verizon is the only provider that works in the metro.

Of course I'm not even sure if her current plan is eligible for adding a line, or if I'd get to keep my # (I'm with Cingular now)


porting out yr # is gonna cost you if yr still under contract w/ cingular. you can almost always keep yr # if you want tho.  as her as piggy backing, it's not really a problem, but she'd have to switch plans to a "family share" and that might extend her contract, if she has less than a year to go from when you do it. but if you are gonna do it, it's $20 a month to add the secondary line and you can call her or any other* vzw person for free.

*in yr local area for a "local digital choice" plan or anywhere in US on "americas choice plan"
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up