Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.  (Read 8272 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jay!

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« on: October 22, 2004, 08:37:20 am »

Hi.  I have just joined this forum.

I have been reading Achewood for a couple of years now (since after it had been going for about a year, I think), and it is something that I enjoy more than I enjoy most things.

I have been lurking on this board for about a week now, and I thought it was time to join.

I have never been a part of a forum before.  If this post was uncouth, I'm really sorry, but I thought it would be friendly to give my greetings to people.

I once e-mailed Chris Onstad.  He didn't respond.  It may be because I go to Berkeley, and he went to Stanford, but I'm not certain.
Logged
Adjö!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 12:55:40 pm »

Hi!  

Welcome!  

Thank you for de-lurking!  

Is your name really Jay?  Or is that short for something?  People used to ask me that all the time as a kid, as regards my actual full and complete first name, and I hated it, so I apologize for the question.  But your .sig just really made it an irresistable question.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 01:00:52 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Hi!  

Welcome!  

Thank you for de-lurking!  

Is your name really Jay?  Or is that short for something?  People used to ask me that all the time as a kid, as regards my actual full and complete first name, and I hated it, so I apologize for the question.  But your .sig just really made it an irresistable question.

That always happened to my mom, too. Especially when she was filling out a form and would write "Toni" they'd be like, "we need your full name, ma'am."  Then she'd punch them in the throat because she was sick of dealing with that crap.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 01:13:59 pm »

See, my mom goes by Bobbie but her actual real and complete name is Roberta.  So she decided that she'd just go ahead and give me a name that is a nickname for a little boy and save the trouble.  

As a result, I heard a lot of "That's not a girl's name, that's what we call my little brother" on the playground.  

Then again, we're calling our son Pierce.  Short for Pearson.  His middle name.  Talk about an identity crisis waiting to happen.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 01:22:10 pm »

Since my name is a name for a plant rather than a name for a person, I get asked often enough if I am not in fact named Lillian.  Fortunately, I am not.
In other words, hello Jay!
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 03:25:41 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"

Then again, we're calling our son Pierce.  Short for Pearson.  His middle name.  Talk about an identity crisis waiting to happen.


You evil bastards. That's what my parents did - used a contraction of my middle name as my common name, which just meant that anywhere I gave my full name to, they would abbreviate by using my first name only.



Oh, and welcome! I just got back from pretty much pitching a screenplay, so I'm all flustered and easily forgetting everything, like how to speak... Hope you dig it here.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 03:49:19 pm »

My name is Frank.  It isn't short for Franklin or anything else.  It's Frank on the birth certificate.  I don't want to talk about my middle name.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 04:16:55 pm »

I'm just Jough, which caused much consternation in school and elsewhere.

But Jay!, is the exclamation mark on your birth certificate?  Because that would mean you have one ENTHUSIASTIC mother.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 04:49:42 pm »

I have a cousin whose name on the birth certificate is Andy, because, according to his mother (my mother's sister), "we were never going to call him anything else anyway." I already feel bad for him in the off chance that he becomes some sort of professional.

(My middle name is a masculine first name, but it's also my grandmother's maiden name, so I imagine it's generally acceptable.)

Anyway, welcome Jay/Jay!.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 05:28:10 pm »

I have two middle names.  My maternal grandparents didn't have any sons so I got to continue the lineage by getting their last name as a middle name.  I also have my dad's first and middle names because that's the tradition on his side.  Both middle names are semi-common last names.  This leads to hilarity when I try to do much of anything that requires giving my full name.  Lots of things just aren't set up to handle people with four initials.  Some places can only handle a first name, middle initial and a last name.  I don't like compromising on that.  

Customer Service: "Wait, wait.  I'll have to get a supervisor to handle this one, Mr. Farnsworth Higgenbottom Gaines*."

Me: "No, it's just Mr. Gaines.  Farnsworth and Higgenbottom are my middle names."

CS: "So Farnsworth is your first name, then?  That clears it up."

Me: "No, William is my first name.  I have two middle names.  My towels say WFHG on them.  Just because you can only put one character in that little box for middle initials doesn't mean that I can only have one middle name."

CS: "How about if we just leave it blank?"

etc.

To paraphrase Michael Bolton in Office Space, why should I change my name?  It's their system that sucks.

Welcome, Jay!.  I bet it's even harder to get people to understand that your name is spelled with an exclamation point.  Can they put punctuation like that on credit cards and stuff?


*None of these are my real names.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 05:29:32 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I'm just Jough, which caused much consternation in school and elsewhere.

But Jay!, is the exclamation mark on your birth certificate?  Because that would mean you have one ENTHUSIASTIC mother.


Hi all, I'm just here for a second, using my office computer which is so old it makes grinding noises constantly

1) to say hi and that all is awesome in my world

2) to maintian my memebership by posting, and

3) to tell you that at the theatre where I'm now employed (the largest childrens theatre in Canada!!), I work with a guy who has an exclaimation point after his name on everything - the staff contact list, his business card, and even when people say his name that say it "John Doe!"  He's had this exclaimation point  for every, apparently it's always been part of his name.  Quirky theatre people.


4) to welcome Jay!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 05:34:44 pm »

Hi side_show!  I am not sure if you will be checking back in, but if so I am glad that things are seemingly working out radly for you!
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 06:11:13 pm »

Yes, nice to see you Side Show.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 06:24:00 pm »

My aunt, on the other hand, has two first names but no middle name.  Her first name is "Mary Lynn."  Invariably, when filling out forms, people try to explain that her middle initial goes in the box by itself, and that she doesn't need to give her whole middle name.  And they look at her in consternation when she says, "I don't have a middle name.  Lynn is the second part of my first name."  Yes, there's a space, and no, it's not hyphenated.  Combine this with a Polish surname, and you can only come to one conclusion:

My grandmother is a crackhead.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Hello from someone who is not Chris Onstad.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 06:32:59 pm »

You want to talk identity crisis? My Dad's name is (not really) James Howard Phelps. His nickname is Tony - short for his original, 'kiddie' nickname, 'Antony.'

Grandma had an Italian exchange student friend when she was real little named Antony. Dude named Howard James saved Grandpa's life in WWII. They compromised.

However, it's proven beneficial, especially wrt:the phone.

- When somebody calls and asks for Antony, we know it's family.
- When somebody calls and asks for Tony, we know it's a friend.
- When somebody calls and asks for James, Jim, or Jimmy, we know it's nobody, and politely inform them that there's nobody by that name who lives here.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up