Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seattle White Stripes show  (Read 3405 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Seattle White Stripes show
« on: August 10, 2003, 02:54:20 am »

So, I'm going to Seattle in September to see the White Stripes and the gf is coming up from Portland to join me. I'm quite happy about this, but that's not why I introduce the topic. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in Seattle - where are some nice clubs I could go to, to see some live music?

Also, I'm somewhat bummed that they are playing this show with Yeah Yeah Yeahs (cool) and a week later they are doing a show in Calif. with Hot Hot Heat (cooler).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 03:37:15 am »

Is there nightlife in Seattle?

Oh!  I don't even know if it's still open, but when I was there a few years ago there was this insane diner called "The Hurricane" that had these RUUUUUUDE home fries smothered with gravy and cheese and stuff.  And they'd give you crayons and paper to draw stuff, and you could put your art up on the walls.

Let's see... don't eat on the space needle... um... check out the troll bridge leading into fremont (it's actually under the Aurora Avenue bridge, not the Fremont Bridge as you'd expect)... the water tastes terrible... so does the coca-cola (because of the water, no doubt).

I really can't be of any help here.

There's also the Downunder that's mostly a very young dance (house music, ecs, etc.) crowd.  And Sit and Spin, which is really trendy.

Actually, the Baltic Room is pretty cool.  It's a little trendy, too, but not obnoxiously so. And they play lounge music if you get there early (unfortunately, just DJ dance crap later).

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 03:54:57 am »

Last night I saw a band on Conan called the Black Keys.  They were a two piece, just guitar and drums.  I think they may have been related, but I'm not sure.  They played heavy blues ala Zep, but with a punk rock edge.  It was quite possibly the most original band I've ever heard.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 04:08:30 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Last night I saw a band on Conan called the Black Keys.  They were a two piece, just guitar and drums.  I think they may have been related, but I'm not sure.  They played heavy blues ala Zep, but with a punk rock edge.  It was quite possibly the most original band I've ever heard.


Your subtle sarcasm is appreciated.

I saw them too.  I was thinking "Man, these guys are ripping off the white stripes in a big way."

Then I asked what the name of the band was.  The Black Keys?  White Stripes, Black Keys.  

Is this a joke? Are they for real?

-- Jough

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 04:50:18 am »

Well, last time I was in Amsterdam I met up with this guy from Portland who'd spent a bunch of time in Seattle, and he reckoned most of the local music had turned Grunge into Swing... I was all 'No fuck*ng way' and he was all 'Way', so it may be scary if you do find some.
Also Josh Hommes post Kyuss moved to Seattle to get away from music, 'cause there was nothing happening there, he shortly thereafter got picked up by Lanegan to play guitar for the Screaming Trees, one of the very few bands still really doing anything there.

Man, there was a brief irresponsible moment where I was gonna lock this one just for it being titled with White Stripes, then I thought, aaaah I'll let them have their fun!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 05:13:28 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Man, there was a brief irresponsible moment where I was gonna lock this one just for it being titled with White Stripes, then I thought, aaaah I'll let them have their fun!


I almost forgot that we were playing in your sandbox, slink.

Yeah, I don't think there's been a music scene in Seattle since 1990.

And once a scene leaves a city it rarely comes back.  There's nothing going on in Philly anymore (where I live) - and there hasn't been since the 60s.

-- Jough

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 08:25:47 am »

Quote
Yeah, I don't think there's been a music scene in Seattle since 1990.

And once a scene leaves a city it rarely comes back. There's nothing going on in Philly anymore (where I live) - and there hasn't been since the 60s.


What a bleak perspective.  Me, i'm more interested in music than scenes.  I spent some time in Seattle in the early 90's and I was treated to great music virtually every night.  I had no idea it had become a cultural wasteland by that point.

What Philly scene are you referring to anyway, Philly Soul?  Yep, it's too bad you missed that.  That was more of a 70's thing though don't you think, or are you referring to when it was underground, yo.  I'll betcha you'd punish at a Spinners show.

The White Stripes are from Detroit.  Now they had a scene in the 60's.  Kick out the Jams Mother Fuckers.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 02:14:14 am »

Hey, I also need to find a funky and cool but nice hotel there for a couple of nights. Can anybody help me with that?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 05:30:08 am »

In Seattle?  I stayed with friends.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Seattle White Stripes show
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 01:23:19 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Hey, I also need to find a funky and cool but nice hotel there for a couple of nights. Can anybody help me with that?


What kind of price range/neighborhood do you have in mind?  You could check out the Green Tortoise, but I don't know much about it.  There's a bunch of other hostels around as well.  I think a friend of mine stayed at the Bigfoot Backpacker's Hostel when she was in town a few years back (and she seemed to think it was ok).  The only actual hotels I know well are all near the University, and expensive (except for the Travellodge).

And as for the bar/club options, what are you into?  I don't get out much, but I might have some suggestions.  Fell free to PM/email to discuss in more detail if you don't want to bore the rest of the board.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: [1]   Go Up