Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Poll

How many original members have to be in a band for you to want to see a show?

All of them.
- 2 (20%)
At least half of them (fractional people are not necessary).
- 2 (20%)
At least the vocalist.
- 0 (0%)
The vocalist and lead instrumentalist.
- 2 (20%)
Reunion shows make me sad.
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 28, 2004, 05:12:23 pm


Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reunion-type concerts  (Read 1567 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Reunion-type concerts
« on: October 28, 2004, 05:12:23 pm »

I thought as sort of a welcome back to myself I would attempt to make a poll. It's good practice! Feel free to ignore it.

I went and saw the Misfits last week. As one of the local reviewers wrote, this concert featured the Misfits' original bassist, the Ramones' second drummer, and Black Flag's third vocalist. I thought it was a fun show, and I knew I wasn't really going to a Misfits show anyway, so I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't exactly a supergroup, but they did some Ramones songs and a couple of Black Flag songs too.

Heck, I saw the Eagles on their first reunion tour back in '95 or whatever, and they had the best-known lineup for that show, and we would have been better off just seeing Joe Walsh.

Somehow I screwed this up, so I guess I need more practice.

I fixed it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 05:40:39 pm »

I said All of Them but with a *. I don't mind if a position that was transient in the band's first run (like the drummer) is a new person.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 05:56:18 pm »

The poll was sort of just practice and a jumping-off point. It's just too dependent on the particular band.

I think it must make Jerry Only lose sleep knowing that if Glenn Danzig was back in the band they'd be playing to 50 times as many people.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 06:07:00 pm »

It really all depends.
On the band in question, on whether there was new material which involved the new people and whether it rocked or not...

Generally, I despair of reunions, though the Pixies one I would for sure go and see. I guess because well, Frank couldn't get old - he always kinda was middle aged.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 06:11:35 pm »

I was at work when the Pixies played their Portland show - hell and damnation!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 06:15:45 pm »

I enjoyed the 1997 Jane's Addiction reunion tour with Flea sitting in at bass, but I was never a big enough Jane's Addiction fan to be a purist about it.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 07:24:27 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
I enjoyed the 1997 Jane's Addiction reunion tour with Flea sitting in at bass, but I was never a big enough Jane's Addiction fan to be a purist about it.


Well, see I'd probably have rather seen that line-up then, than the original line-up playing currently, just because the new material really didn't interest me very much. Also, well I can never even remember the bassist name in Jane's... Perry, Stephen Perkins and Dave Navarro yep, but not the bassist. If I saw his name though...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 08:44:48 pm »

Eric Avery, but I think that Jane's has pulled the pin again. I remember reading that recently.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 09:12:04 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Eric Avery, but I think that Jane's has pulled the pin again. I remember reading that recently.


Ah yes, of course.
I was reading not long ago that despite Jane's headlining Lollopalooza, Audioslave were the ones to see there, which I can believe.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Reunion-type concerts
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 09:20:18 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I was reading not long ago that despite Jane's headlining Lollopalooza, Audioslave were the ones to see there, which I can believe.


I was most looking forward to the Flaming Lips and the Polyphonic Spree.  The Lips cancelled their tour entirely to work on a new album when Lollapalooza got cancelled, but I did get to catch the Spree in Chicago.  Dang, that is a fun show to see.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up