Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004  (Read 5676 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2004, 02:25:40 am »

Yeah, it's not like she's going to call him "Arby." She probably has a pet name for him that she doesn't use in public is all.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2004, 03:36:40 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Yeah, it's not like she's going to call him "Arby."


Choop, You..Are..Rad..
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2004, 05:49:03 am »

I used to go with a girl who called her ex-boyfriend Jeremy "Germy."  This tickled me.

Of course, she had an even less flattering nickname for me after awhile.

foolio

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 53
    • View Profile
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2004, 09:15:03 am »

Does no one else think that the funniest part of the strip was the second panel? Give this guy Jagers till he can't say "Molecule"???!?!?!?!?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2004, 03:04:42 pm »

Quote from: "foolio"
Does no one else think that the funniest part of the strip was the second panel? Give this guy Jagers till he can't say "Molecule"???!?!?!?!?

Gimpson might, given the title of the thread.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2004, 01:06:51 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Er. with all due respect, Golfhaus, where are you getting this? "Beef" seems like a perfectly reasonable shortening -- it's not like she's calling him "The Gazonger" or anything else stupidly fratboyish. I've never seen any of the couples I know deviate from a nickname except when it's something really fratesque and dumb.


Really? In my example, the name in question was "Chris," the nickname everyone but the girlfriend called him was "Sanford." Not like we were calling him something stupid.

Maybe it's because Roast Beef isn't so much a nickname as an "alternate" name. I dunno. It still makes me do a double take when I see it.

YMMV.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2004, 02:04:15 am »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"

Maybe it's because Roast Beef isn't so much a nickname as an "alternate" name. I dunno. It still makes me do a double take when I see it.


Have I missed something here? I thought Beef's name was Roast Beef Kazenzakis, no? If so then Beef is his real name. What else is she going to call him!?

Also, everyone I've been involved with since I started using this name (almost three years ago) has called me Slink, though when I formally changed it one girl did decide she wouldn't call me it. She utterly failed to however, as she had always called me Slink. I guess there's no real differentiation between anyone I know, in terms of how they know me.

Also, in terms of the example given, and similar instances, I would think it happens because the new partner came from outside the group of friends who use the nickname, and thus they would have to learn a new name. I am back in touch with someone I was with before I started using this name, and she's finding it really difficult to refer to me as Slink when I'm not around, simply because it's new to her.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2004, 02:06:24 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"

Maybe it's because Roast Beef isn't so much a nickname as an "alternate" name. I dunno. It still makes me do a double take when I see it.


Have I missed something here? I thought Beef's name was Roast Beef Kazenzakis, no? If so then Beef is his real name. What else is she going to call him!?

Technically his real name is Cassandra, but yeah. it definitely appears in practice that everyone calls him "Roast Beef" as his real name. (This doesn't appear to be that weird for the Underground; see Spongebath, for instance.) "Beef" just seems like a logical shortening of it.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2004, 02:09:00 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Technically his real name is Cassandra,


Ah yes. I'm considering drinking tea from now on, as it is supposed to help stop neurotransmittor decay...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2004, 03:30:22 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Technically his real name is Cassandra, but yeah. it definitely appears in practice that everyone calls him "Roast Beef" as his real name. (This doesn't appear to be that weird for the Underground; see Spongebath, for instance.) "Beef" just seems like a logical shortening of it.

They even call him RB in heaven but it's listed in quotes so I guess it's just a nickname.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2004, 08:18:23 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Technically his real name is Cassandra,


Ah yes. I'm considering drinking tea from now on, as it is supposed to help stop neurotransmittor decay...


Slink, Dude, love you like a brother and all, but the neurotransmitter ship has SAILED for you, man....
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2004, 01:19:27 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Slink, Dude, love you like a brother and all, but the neurotransmitter ship has SAILED for you, man....


Ugh. Yea, so true. Oh well, at least I don't have to drink tea all the time then.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up