Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled  (Read 3835 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« on: November 02, 2004, 04:29:21 am »

Details at:

http://www.achewood.com/pr11022004.php

They won't be publishing the advertised collection of strips and brand new print-only material after all — our respective visions of the final project were simply too disparate. Sorry to everyone who pre-ordered, you can expect refunds from the publisher.

That said, we have a fantastic new press-ready version of Volume One completed and are shopping new publishers. There's a ton of really dense new Achewood legend and lore content included in this project, and we're looking forward to getting it to readers.  

Also, our self-published Volume IV will be here in just a couple weeks. We will begin to re-offer our own self-published Volume I again in time for Christmas.

Thanks for reading,
/C
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 05:34:24 am »

Drag.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 05:41:02 am »

Yes, that is among things that suck.  I was looking forward to seeing Volume I at my local Barnes and Noble.  

Still, I remain confident that that day will come.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 06:32:27 am »

I guess that sucks Chris.  Are you disappointed?  Are you pleased it didn't happen?  If these folks aren't a good fit then you probably did the correct thing in calling the deal off.  It's better to retain the integrity of your work and wait for the right book deal, I think.

On the other hand, if this isn't your choosing and those bastards have screwed you over, well, fuck them.  Fuck them with a holly tree.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 06:54:02 am »

Thanks for the commiseration. No one got burned on this deal, we just didn't like the way the project was heading and decided to hold out. I'm excited because it gives me more time to add to the new print-only content while we research new publishers. There are several pages of up-to-date maps, "Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird" guitar tablature, historical Achewood town newspaper clippings, and more, and I'm itching to get to show them to the diehard fans.
Logged

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 08:11:23 am »

please tell me the creative differences were like adding punctuation to roast beef, etc.

it's just what i expect, y'know?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 02:46:43 pm »

Oh, now I see.

Creative Differences == Dispute Over Money or Royalties

Thank god for this "Press Release --> English" dictionary.


P.S. When I said "Drag" above I meant it in the same way that Paul McCartney did when he heard that Lennon had been killed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 03:02:38 pm »

I'm disappointed, but it's probably better in the long term that you find a publisher whose views (about creative issues, money, etc.) are compatible with yours. I have all faith that you'll find a more suitable publisher soon; good luck anyway.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 03:05:16 pm »

At least I don't have to worry about finding the cash to pick up a copy yet! As is, I am going to have to get enough together to pick up vol. iv!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 03:05:35 pm »

That is a shame, Chris. I'm glad that it wasn't all like "giant corporation destroys local man." Does this mean you won't be going to those various locations you listed in the other thread?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 03:37:09 pm »

Quote
Thanks for the commiseration. No one got burned on this deal, we just didn't like the way the project was heading and decided to hold out.


Oh yeah?

Then how come you had to sell your eyes?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 03:52:16 pm »

Have you considered Image Comics? Frank Cho (Liberty Meadows) seems to be happy with them and he puts out hard/softcover books in addition to his "bi-monthly" comic book. Plus I've always wanted to see Philippe and Truman together.

I guess it's time to pre-order Vol 4 though. I wonder who I should request for the drawing.
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 05:41:03 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Creative Differences == Dispute Over Money or Royalties


No, I was happy with those aspects of the contract. It really was an issue of me not liking how they wanted the book to look.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 05:46:04 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "jough"
Creative Differences == Dispute Over Money or Royalties


No, I was happy with those aspects of the contract. It really was an issue of me not liking how they wanted the book to look.

Ah, yeah, I can see that -- the aesthetic of the front cover didn't really work for me, personally, and if the entire book had that sort of design sense, I can see where the conflicts come in. IMHO, the artistic sensibility of Achewood is represented best by minimalism (as in the self-published covers, which are lovely); if they were aiming for clutter, I can see disaster looming.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 05:58:23 pm »

Indeed. The covers reminded me of Onion books which isn't at all what Achewood is about. They're all about clutter and cheap blue jokes. I've never seen an Achwood strip that drew 100% of it's humor from swearing (other than the two deleted strip in Volume 2).
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up