Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The greatest Cartoons on TV  (Read 8962 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« on: August 10, 2003, 11:16:34 am »

So we all like comics, but goddamn there's got to be some room in your life for animation. It occurred to me that Family Guy is better than The Simpsons the other day. That is my honest opinion. Does anybody else feel this way? What are your favourite TV 'toons?

Avante...
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 05:05:07 pm »

Quote from: "pubdoggy"
It occurred to me that Family Guy is better than The Simpsons the other day.


Yea, I agree with that. While Simpsons got silly and, well, kind of pointless, Family Guy has surpassed it and become vastly more funny.
I rarely watch new simpsons ever, but Family Guy I actually consider getting DVD I enjoy it so much.
Apart from that... I dont really watch many cartoons on TV. I tend to find they make little sense to me now, since there aren't many that are still in any way aimed at adults unless you go for anime.
I may be forgetting a golden one or two, but Family Guy is the one I'd remember to list now.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 05:44:05 pm »

Obviously there's a large amount of cross-over between South Park and Achewood (and by "cross-over", I mean that sometimes Onstad steals jokes and lingo from old South Park episodes - or do they call that homage"?) and the Simpsons are a perennial favourite.  I disagree that they've gotten "silly" and in fact I think the Simpsons is one of the few shows (animated or otherwise) that has remained fresh and is still consistently funny.

Is Family Guy the one with the evil talking baby?  I watched that maybe twice, and found it to be mildly retarded.

Maybe it got better after the first season.  Is that it?  It got better after the first season?

-- Jough

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 08:11:14 pm »

Well, I didn't like Family Guy when I originally watched the first season, but I went back to it and have come to really enjoy it. (Yes, the evil baby is that one).
What I find about new Simpsons, is that well a) I hate Marge and always have, she annoys me so much, and b) it's got to the point where you can almost see the writers saying 'well, erm, we'll just have that happen' 'but it doesn't make sense' 'so, what else has in the last series!'.
It just seems too random nowadays. And while I thought it worked to an extent, it just got tiring for me. I still like some of Homer's Hijinx, but apart from that...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 09:27:57 pm »

I really like Family Guy - it's very different from the Simpsons to me in that in pushes the envelope a lot more - and in more funny ways.  the Simpsons will always be a great show though because it is far more thought provoking... there was an interesting discussion at jumptheshark.com (great site!) about whether it is possible for the Simpsons to "jump the shark". I think it may be impossible because time doesn't have to pass for animated characters in the same way it does for human actors. That's just my opinion though.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 02:19:31 am »

A Simpson has been shown literally jumping a shark at least twice, once during the credits to a (contractually required) clip show.

I love Family Guy, but I've noticed whenever it comes up on a messageboard there are never any neutral parties, it's either "better than the Simpsons" or "worse than Cop Rock"

Adult Swim is good, and I miss the Tick.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 02:25:36 am »

Three cheers for Adult Swim. Though I no longer have cable, I always used to love Home Movies and Sealab 2021.

Plus, those few specials called "Brak Presents the Brak Show Starring Brak" were feckin' awesome.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 02:30:58 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Three cheers for Adult Swim. Though I no longer have cable, I always used to love Home Movies and Sealab 2021.

Plus, those few specials called "Brak Presents the Brak Show Starring Brak" were feckin' awesome.


I never saw one of those, but I can't help but wonder if it was supposed to be a MST3K: The Movie reference (It's the Brak Show, starring me, I'm Brak! I'm gonna sing and dance and have lots of good guests!)
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 02:35:35 am »

Awww The Tick!
There's one I forgot! That was just genius, and I miss that so much. Wish they'd hurry up and release that on DVD since my VHS of it died!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 03:15:46 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I love Family Guy, but I've noticed whenever it comes up on a messageboard there are never any neutral parties, it's either "better than the Simpsons" or "worse than Cop Rock"

Okay, I'll be the neutral party: Family Guy can be funny at points, but often it's just sort of dull and not really much of anything. I can take it or leave it, but watching it's hardly torture.

I suspect part of the problem might originate from Family Guy's original label as "Simpsons ripoff"; some fans may need to defend it by making it better than what it's allegedly ripping off. As for the "worse than Cop Rock" folks... well, somebody hates everything.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 03:23:19 am »

INVADER ZIM INVADER ZIM!!  

Definitely some of the best and strangest voice-acting out there.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 03:32:20 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
INVADER ZIM INVADER ZIM!!  

Definitely some of the best and strangest voice-acting out there.


And Zim :) Excellent!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2003, 05:39:17 am »

I guess I fall into the "Family Guy is mildly retarded" camp.  Has it improved since moving to cable?  Regardless, the Simpsons still kick ass in my (not so) humble opinion.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 07:56:55 am »

Yeah - any new "adult" orientated cartoon is bound to be compared to the Simpsons on first viewing, but Family Guy takes the whole concept so much further. It's risqué without trying to force it down your throat for the sake of it.

Aaaaaaanyway - the Tick - yeah! Quality. Can anybody think of any strips that have made it to TV that have worked, 'cos I can remember The Far Side being animated and it was Shiser and all the Marvel stable shows have all suffered from poor illustration.

Hm?
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 02:30:03 pm »

What about non-adult cartoons?  Spongebob can be damn funny, and I desparately miss Rocko's Modern Life.  I saw a Dexter the other night that was an homage to the Pink Panther, and remembered how great the PP cartoons had been.  Why doesn't Cartoon Network show them?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up