Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The greatest Cartoons on TV  (Read 8939 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2003, 06:19:13 pm »

Yea, PP was great back in the original day. When he couldn't speak!
Rocko I liked, and despite people twlling me to I still haven't seen Spongebob.
I guess as far as other comics made into cartoons, it's really mroe anime, but the Spawn animated series is supposed to be great.
Oh and come on, the first series or maaaaaaybe two of Batman when it was done all dark and broody in the early 90's as a cartoon was great.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2003, 09:11:02 pm »

Family Guy has a bigger bang-for-buck laugh/minute ratio, especially compared to most recent Simpsons episodes, but they're not quite as good on repeat viewing.  And by repeat viewing, I mean real repeat viewing; I've seen just about every Simpsons episode at least ten times, and still tune in every day at 7:30 and 10:00 for reruns on UPN.

My personal bottomline is that they both have their great points, but Simpsons will always be classic to me.

As for the other greatest cartoons on TV, these cannot ever be faded:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sealab 2021
Voltron
R.o.b.o.t.ech
The Real Ghostbusters


Does anyone remember if DuckTales had a "final" episode or if it just kind of slipped away quietly into the night?  I watched that show every damn day as a kid.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

super collider

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2003, 11:49:52 pm »

Some of my favorites:

this applies to current stuff, not all the classics that are too many to list

Simpsons
Futurama
Family Guy
South Park
all of Adult Swim (excluding the annoying shit that filters in there occasionally)
Invader Zim
Samurai Jack
Dexter's Lab
Courage, sometimes


maybe sometimes drunken Spongebob
Logged
advertise here

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2003, 01:34:01 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Awww The Tick!
There's one I forgot! That was just genius, and I miss that so much. Wish they'd hurry up and release that on DVD since my VHS of it died!


The live-action Tick is coming out on DVD this fall with one un-aired episode. The cartoon is tied up in copyright limbo. See, New England Comics doesn't own the cartoon (or any characters who made their first appearance there) Fox does. And Fox doesn't think there's market for the DVD's because the videos didn't sell all that well since they were marketed to children.

Quote from: "slink"
Yea, PP was great back in the original day. When he couldn't speak!
Rocko I liked, and despite people twlling me to I still haven't seen Spongebob.
I guess as far as other comics made into cartoons, it's really mroe anime, but the Spawn animated series is supposed to be great.
Oh and come on, the first series or maaaaaaybe two of Batman when it was done all dark and broody in the early 90's as a cartoon was great.


There were no speaking Pink Panther cartoons. You here me, there were none! And if there were, his voice certainly wouldn't be Max Headroom
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2003, 11:06:07 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

The live-action Tick is coming out on DVD this fall with one un-aired episode.
And Fox doesn't think there's market for the DVD's because the videos didn't sell all that well since they were marketed to children.


There were no speaking Pink Panther cartoons. You here me, there were none! And if there were, his voice certainly wouldn't be Max Headroom


I tend to try and make myself believe there were no speaking panther toons, but ugh!
And I wasn't that taken by the live-action Tick. I may have to try it again I guess. I only saw a few, had to download them 'cause no one showed them over here.
And they marketed the Tick so badly. It was good across here they even at one point were showing it post 11pm on Beeb 2 'cause they knew hwo watched it! I managed to tape all of the first two series, but it was unfortunately an old VHS. One day they may get tround to DVD'ing it I guess. They so better!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2003, 10:44:32 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
And they marketed the Tick so badly. It was good across here they even at one point were showing it post 11pm on Beeb 2 'cause they knew hwo watched it!


I totally agree that it was all marketing. Considering one of the toys was a cow with a human foot in its mouth it clearly was not intended for children. That and the fact that Fox made them switch Man Eating Cow to a bad guy because they didn't think it was very heroine-like.

The comics are great although I'm several issues behind. If you're interested in checking them out PM me and I can point out some good places to start (they keep all issues in print, so you can even get #1 for just a couple bucks if you're willing to take a 27th printing).

[Edit: Holy bad grammar Batman!]
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2003, 01:01:37 am »

Does the live action Tick have the capybara character in it?  His or her name was Speak.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2003, 02:36:06 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Does the live action Tick have the capybara character in it?  His or her name was Speak.

No it didn't and yes, that was his name.

Live action was made by a different studio and therefore wasn't allowed to use the characters from the cartoon.* Plus Speak would've been really hard to do live action.



*unless said character appeared in the comic first. Then NEC owns it.
Logged

Jugwine

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2003, 07:12:51 pm »

I wish they didn't stop making new episodes of The Critic.  I miss that show.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2003, 07:39:22 pm »

Yes! YES! The critic was AWESOME! The Ted Turneresque Network Owner was an AWESOME character! And the kid from the UN school with the Easter Island head...

Is anyone else here either old enough, geeky enough or watched enough old television to remember one of the first prime time animated shows called "Wait til your father gets home"? That was kind of funny and edgy for it's time, too...can't compare to what gets on TV today but still...
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2003, 09:54:03 pm »

I'm glad I'm not crazy. That was a pretty great show for it's time.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2003, 01:13:36 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Is anyone else here either old enough, geeky enough or watched enough old television to remember one of the first prime time animated shows called "Wait til your father gets home"? That was kind of funny and edgy for it's time, too...can't compare to what gets on TV today but still...

I saw it a few times when CN was new and had a much more limited library (plus no money for originals like Dexter). All I remember of it was that it introduced me to the group Zero Population Growth (who incidentally, my fiancee used to work for) and it was like Family Guy sans the crack.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2003, 05:33:14 pm »

What about Clone High?  I occasionally get addicted to it for a few weeks but sometimes it just isnt that great.  Still, Mr. Butlertron deserves some sort of recognition.
Logged
goose means greedy

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
The greatest Cartoons on TV
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2003, 01:31:40 pm »

In my opinion, Samurai Jack is one of (if not the) the best animated series ever.  Silence is used as effectively as dialogue, it is often a joy to look at, and it is often very funny.  But it also is often touching.

DJS
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up