Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogs Nov. 6 - 13  (Read 6780 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« on: November 06, 2004, 02:00:29 pm »

I am not even sure what to say about Cornelius' latest update, except to say that it is an epic of mind-boggling awesomeness.

"my mother just dug a trench, etc."
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 03:30:22 pm »

That was just insane! A rollicking good time, and a hell of a read.

Quote from: "Cornelius Bear"

After a few seconds of throttling and wrenching, she had torn the little fellow's entire head off and set about devouring its face with an abandon normally reserved for animals in Stephen King novels.

I find it's less disturbing to watch people eat if I don't anthropomorphize.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 03:37:50 pm »

i find my eyes teary, and my heart broken.

i am continually amazed at the diverse voice onstadt brings to his work.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 02:27:15 am »

Yeah. I almost felt embarrassed that I read the whole thing and liked it.
Logged

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 02:47:05 am »

Hell, he one-upped the country western party. Rock rock on, Onstad.
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 08:50:47 am »

Thank you, blog readers. I am glad you enjoy these extra features.

As I asked in a less-active thread, would a printed collection of the blogs be appealing to you?

I'm thinking of collecting them because it's hard (impossible?) to follow all the different stories and minor arcs simply by clicking around, particularly if you're new. Chronologically interwoven blogs would lay the thing out in linear, non-maddening fashion.

Thank you.  
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 08:54:45 am »

I would at least consider a printed copy of the blogs, although I confess that it'd also be excellent if those strips that were significantly blog-related were added as well, so that it was possible to follow the full narrative. It could be an awesome thing.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 03:17:27 pm »

Quote from: "Ray"
"The Wurst Men" (excellent German-style sausages cooked and served by guys dressed as famous criminals, such as Al Capone, Jeffrey Dahmer and Ed Gein).

Quote from: "Ray"
their estranged daughter is marrying a rash model

I like the drinking vodka and Red Bull and listening to Boston and AC/DC, too. And how about carting the dysfunctional family off and giving everyone steaks! Brutal, but funny.

Also, I'm not 100% sure I'd buy a collection of blogs - but I'm sort of only now starting to buy the books, so I might not be the typical customer.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 03:41:36 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

As I asked in a less-active thread, would a printed collection of the blogs be appealing to you?


short answer: yes.

long, and inevitable in its occurence from me, answer:
I'm not likely to by any of the comic compilations in the near furture, because i can't justify (to my current circumstances[lady]) a purchase of something i have free access to.

As such, a book of blogs would not be easily purchased by me.  However, Only Available in the Blog Book artwork of characters in context of events would certainly "sweeten the pot".

For instance, a small drawing of Mr. Bear landed on a cooked pig surrounded by the text of his most current blog, for instance.

Ordinarily, i am not a fan of illustrations within fiction, since my mind's eye always captures what i'm reading far better than some per-drawing hack.

However, 1- Onstadt is not a per-drawing hack that poorly illustrates Roger Zelazny novels, 2- The fiction of the Achewood Blogs already has illustrations.  and given that the illustrator would be the author, the validity of the drawings interpretations of the text would be entirely, uh, validated.

I am thinking right now of Tolkein's Letters to the North Pole.  The Letters are of a somewhat blog/diary like nature, which evoke colorful and fanciful imagining of what is going on.  The illustrations help to bring those out, AND keep honest to the writer's vision because the writer is the author.

Add to that, the extra "exclusive" content the book would then contain.

Witness the sale of your one-off painitngs on ebay.  there would appear to be a demand for your non-strip oriented artwork of the strip based characters.

Illustrating the blog book could potentially give you an "Artistic outlet" for the achewood universe outside of the comic strip context.

It would, of course, add a great deal of "Work" for you to do.

All that being said, i have to say a text only release of the blogs would be a delight, because as i've said before, the distinct voice you give to each character is truly a beauty to behold.  your illustrations are incredible but your dialogue and story and voice is wonderful as well.

i would also venture to say that i do not believe there to be enough content currently in the blogs to flesh out a purchase worthy compendium.

i hope you are not looking for enough "yes i would buy the blog book" sentiment to justify your continuation of the blogs in and of themselves, since the thought of losing the blogs saddens me.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 05:09:38 pm »

I'd buy it if there was added content. And I'd like to see the strip/blog continuity addressed somehow. If it were only with footnotes from the characters saying things like, "Chris put this in the strip (against my wishes!). It's in Volume 5, p. 19."
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 05:27:25 pm »

I would buy it, but I would probably buy a collection of, like, the characters' shopping lists, so you might not want to make any big business decisions based on my input.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 04:03:57 am »

I just want to say that it's fundamentally unfair that someone who makes such funny comics can also write so fuck*ng well.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 04:08:50 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Thank you, blog readers. I am glad you enjoy these extra features.

As I asked in a less-active thread, would a printed collection of the blogs be appealing to you?

I'm thinking of collecting them because it's hard (impossible?) to follow all the different stories and minor arcs simply by clicking around, particularly if you're new. Chronologically interwoven blogs would lay the thing out in linear, non-maddening fashion.

Thank you.  


The blogs integrate well with the strips. It may be better to put them in between the strips in chronological order.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 04:26:25 am »

I don't want to get all Marshall McLuhan here, but I think the blog posts would lose some impact if they are presented in a vacuum (i.e. alone in book form.)  Part of what makes the blogs so fascinating is their interconnectivity to the strips.  They allow you to reach a much higher level of character development.  However, much of the funniest material in the blogs refers (either back or forwards) to bits covered in the strip.  The two media support and enhance each other.  Reading the blogs alone would be like listening to the dialog from Pulp Fiction -- great stuff but you're missing at least half the experience.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Blogs Nov. 6 - 13
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 05:27:43 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I don't want to get all Marshall McLuhan here...


NIIIICCEEEEE. Smart point awarded to you!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up