Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: (Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread  (Read 14480 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 02:12:34 am »

Can't move posts from thread to thread, I believe, but here's the text of your post:

Quote from: "AlohaDawg in yonder thread"

Quote from: "slink"

Yes, most abortions seem to be due to careless sex, but I don't see this as a reason to cause children to be born into uncaring, or unsuitably financed homes, and to (as mentioned by Bozack) force rape-victims to give birth to their attackers child.


Perhaps not; however consider the number of children born into these same homes where abortion isn't considered. It seems somewhat strange to favorably compare not living to living regardless of the circumstances. People overcome their environments all the time. I was born before 1973; I was given up for adoption as a very small preemie on Christmas Day. I imagine that I could well have been aborted at some time in the future and I guess that certainly plays into my feelings about abortion and certainly makes it harder to be as moderate as I am on it.

Quote from: "slink"

That is something I feel I have a right to say as a man when it comes to the issue.


I think responsible members of society all have a voice in this divisive an issue. Also, where the sex was consensual and resulted in pregnancy there are many people who think that the father does have some rights - what if the couple is married, for instance - there is certainly no such thing as a black and white issue in this discussion.


Quote from: "slink"

Like politics and nigh on everything else happening in America, you cannot write the rulebooks based on religion, and yet it happens more and more.

Every body of law ever written down is derived from some sense of 'religion'. In the oldest times, leaders were Gods; we moved toward 'divine right' rulers and then on to more enlightened, humanistic eras where people like Rousseau and Locke and others debated the issue of where the 'right' to make and enforce law comes from. Some said it comes from divinity others say it comes from society itself.

If most of society has a sense of religious values through which they filter their decisions (particularly their voting decisions) then it becomes a circular argument - it works out to Divinity no matter how you slice it. I think the US founders had this view; that they were 'People of God' and that the laws come not from God himself but are derived from a sense of the kinds of values the society, in general, holds.

This works out pretty well until our society became more heterogenous. This is the challenge we as a nation face - how to discern just what the general, baseline values of the US are in 2004.  This has to be discovered independently of how each individual derives/arrives at these values, because that is unimportant and actually divisive.

I doubt anyone tries to do this, but if they did it successfully, they wouldn't lose an election for a long time.


And don't worry, wombat, I'm uneasy about this thread too and I'll be keeping an eye on it as well.
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 02:24:37 am »

I really only thought this was interesting because I had just had a discussion about this (more or less) with someone here at work. I think I re-stated my point in a somewhat clearer manner. The point is, I guess, that anything that has people so divided can almost always be re-stated by the "anti" forces in an inflammatory manner. Personally I liked talking about gay marriage more. But that's because I just love weddings.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2004, 03:17:58 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
OK, now that I'm 50% in charge of this thread whose existence worries me a great deal, I would like to announce that I am going to try to resist the urge to wake up every couple of hours all night to see if it needs to be locked, and that I would very much appreciate it if you would all try not to make me sorry tomorrow that I didn't lock it before I went to bed.  Thanks.


I just want to say that the existence of this thread (along with the rest of the contentious political threads) worries me, too.  There are 10 zillion places to discuss politics and one Achewood board.  I wouldn't dream of censoring any of you, but I will entreat you to keep it civil, kind and friendly.

This is the last you'll see of me herein, other than to quote that obnoxious Farkism -- Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 03:52:28 am »

Just to chime in:

I respect y'all's ability to keep this respectful and "clean," but I will be watching as well. Play nice.

Mod out.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 05:14:20 am »

Very very few abortions have anything to do with rape - but yes, it certainly would suck to be saddled with a baby after being raped.  I guess killing your own child is the only revenge you can get for that, right?

And I also don't buy the "you're not a woman so you have no say in the matter" argument regarding infanticide.  It's none of my business?  I believe it is the duty of people of conscience to help protect those who cannot protect themselves.

I mean, I don't think you have any children, 'lucia, but if you saw a woman beating her child to death in front of you in the mall, I would expect that you'd be humane enough to either try to stop that violence or else find someone stronger who can put a stop to it.

Does child murder not matter to you just because it's sanctioned by the state?  If rape were legalised would it be okay for people to rape you?  Your argument doesn't make any sense.

Abortion is a barbaric practise, especially abortions of convenience which are used as birth control due to carelessness and utter disregard for human life.  

They say that you can judge a society based on how it treats its prisoners - but what about children?  And at what point does the law allow for infant murder?  Has this been tested in the courts?

Is it okay to murder a four year old?  What about a four minute old?  It probably would be considered murder.  But shit, had you killed the baby five minutes before while only its head was sticking out of the womb, that's just late-term abortion - all nice and legal.

So where does it stop?  I find it a bit sick that there are women (and men, of course) who don't believe in wearing fur or in medical testing on animals because of the cruelty to the cute little furry bunnies and such, but babies, meh, fuck them!  I need my sleep!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 05:45:26 am »

zygote/embryo != baby

It's a little facile to condemn one side for using loaded words (e.g. "choice") when you are willing to equate every pregnancy with a baby.  A baby is more than a clump of cells.  Surely there's a gray area about when an embryo changes into a baby.  But I cannot believe that every fertilized egg is equivalent to me or you.  Also, if a fertilized egg is so sacred how do you justify the soul killing properties of: War, the Death Penalty, Pederast Spiritual Leaders, Ashlee Simpson, or Cubicle Farms?  

"Pro-life" is an euphemism no more egregious than "Killing Babies."

Dammit, dammit, dammit! I swore I wouldn't get involved in this.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 06:10:07 am »

I suppose they could call pro-life "Pro not killing humans" to be more accurate, but pro-life is close enough.

And who said I justified war or the death penalty?  I pretty much think that people killing each other is a bad thing in general.

Not that some people don't sometimes need to die.  I suppose I could be convinced to join the abortion bandwagon if someone could convince me that some fetuses are evil and should be put down for the good of the herd.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 06:30:08 am »

some nights i wake up, and it's very very quiet and very very dark and i lay there and listen to my heart beat.  i wonder who my mother was and i make up grand fantasies as to the circumstances she had been in: missouri, 1975, college town.  the possibilities approach endless, yet the finality was binary: yes or no.

man have sperm, and women have eggs, and once you have one in each hand, you can put them together and make biology happen.

men, however, can't make the biology happen inside their bodies like women can.

in the world i would like to live in, a woman and a man would decide together to make a baby.  they would decide, and then they would undergo a process (hopefully many times).  then another process would occur, wherein the result would be a healthy baby born unto a happy world.

in the world i live in, decisions are not always made that are agreed upon by both parties.  in the world i live in, a man can impregnate a woman and leave.  a man can impregnate a woman, and leave the woman to deal with the consequences of those actions.  the man can leave to go back with his ex-wife and the bundle of children that are his and are not his.  the man can the the woman to deal with the consequences of their actions together, leave her to deal with those consequences when she is young and unable to deal with those consequences in a rational way.  she turns to her mother, who does not take her medication regularly.  the medication that let's her deal with consequences of actions in a rational way.

in the world i live in, babies are born to a world that hates them and doesn't take very good care of them.

i think, perhaps, phillipe, that may be the saddest thing.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 06:50:47 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
some nights i wake up, and it's very very quiet and very very dark and i lay there and listen to my heart beat.  i wonder who my mother was and i make up grand fantasies as to the circumstances she had been in: missouri, 1975, college town.  the possibilities approach endless, yet the finality was binary: yes or no.


I used to do the same thing. I was >30 before I really found peace with my humble and unknown origins...25th December, 1967 my first Christmas on Earth and no parents or family. I got a family March 9 1968. I've occasionally been shitty to them over the years but for the most part, I am pretty sure I'm better off then I would have been.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2004, 07:18:48 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Smooth move, Jough.
I really, really don't see why you feel it's necessary to start this, though.
In fact, it rather pisses me off when any male decides that he's entitled to enter into this debate.


I found the thread.  So, sorry for posting in the other thread.

How can we not enter into the debate?  Human and reproductive rights isn't a gender exclusive issue.  In fact, I don't see how the partici##### in any debate, on anything, ever could limited to a gender or any group.  I live in Utah, and I get really pissed off when the LDS church releases a statement concerning public policy, and the mormons get all uppity when local non-mormons comment on the statement.  They say that what the church does or says doesn't effect non-mormons so the non-mormons should just shut the fuck up (they really say that).  How the fuck does it not effect EVERYONE in the fuck*ng state (we live in a theocracy here in Utah, so trust me, it does)?  It pisses me off when a group claims that outsiders can't comment on a debate that ostensibly only concerns that group.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 12:33:51 pm »

Just wanted to say, props to Arkabee. I think you sad some good stuff there.

Now I'm going to go away and pretend this thread doesn't exist before it starts to affect how I think of people.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 02:59:03 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
In fact, it rather pisses me off when any male decides that he's entitled to enter into this debate.

Quote from: "miles"
How can we not enter into the debate?


i'm of the mind such that i believe discussion is good, especially with parties who have opposing views.  compassion, empathy, and a desire to understand are virtues to me.

if i were in a situation wherein a thing were being discussed, a thing that had direct consequences to me and the specific group i were in, i'm sure that i would feel negatively about those outside of the group acting as though they were directly affected by those consequences and voicing their opinion as though their opinion were authority.  to whit, if the neighborhood i lived in was discussing whether or not to have a landfill built within it, my neighboars and i would be Directly and Immediately affected by the consequences of a landfill being built.  The Sweet and Sickening smell of garbage is an odor that does not leave my mind, having been a garbage man.  To have that odor permeate my daily life would make it hard to live.  To have someone from the next county say "the need for me to have a place to put my trash far away from me so i do not have to smell it outweighs the need for you to be happy and not smell the smell of garbage that makes you irrationaly sad" would make me want to hit someone with a hammer.

However, it would be naive and short-sighted of me to say that while i and my neighbors were directly affected by the discussion (or "debate" if you would) that noone outside of our neighborhood were affected by any consequence of said discussion.  those people not in our neighborhood still need a place to put their trash.

However, those outside the neighborhood must keep in mind that the consequences that they must deal with are NOT EQUAL TO the consequences that my neighbors and i must deal with.

--
Quote from: "alohadawg"

 I got a family March 9 1968. I've occasionally been shitty to them over the years but for the most part, I am pretty sure I'm better off then I would have been.


indeed.  

--
Quote from: "jough"

But the euphamism here "right to choose" doesn't state what it is choosing. It conveniently leaves that part out, since it would be distasteful to mention things like this:


you are concerned with what is left OFF the end of that statement, "right to choose", but do not seem to be overly concerned with what is left off the BEGINNING of that statement.

Quote from: "jough"

It's only recently that killing a child of the wrong gender or due to inconvenience has even been an issue. But is the practise any less barbaric because it's how things "used to be"?


It's also only recently that Women were acknowledged by our nation as having the right to vote.

and it was recently acknowledged that Women were productive in factory work in times of National Security (wwII).

and it is VERY RECENT that women, on average, expect to earn LESS than men, on average, for the same work.

i like to counter my own vagueness in regards to generalizations by offering anecdotes from my reality:
for a long time i worked at a small (very) ISP (amongst other things).  The techs employed there would spend a great deal of time on the telephone with a great number of different people.

It happened more often than i would ever have (previous to working there) imagined, that some of the techs who were ladies would furiously ask me to take over the call she was on.  Take over the call, because the call could not be resolved.  why could the call not be resolved?  because the customer requested to speak to a MAN in regards to their problems, because a WOMAN was unable to help them.

each case of this, i noticed that the WOMAN'S troubleshooting and determination of issue was CORRECT and VALID and the recommendation for resolution they had offered was CORRECT and VALID.


The world is a far better place than it WAS, but it is far from Perfect.

"A woman's" "right to choose".

I believe, Jough, that if your prepend "right to choose" as such, then things like:

Quote from: "jough"

 Phrases like "The Right to Choose" always leave off the ever-descriptive "... to kill one's own child" at the end of it.


might make more sense to you.

Because, you are correct (coming from your WorldView), that when applied to Abortion, there is a phrase being left off.

But you seem unaware or unable/unwilling to discuss that "The Right To Choose" is about more than just Abortion, and is "The Woman's Right To Choose", a phrase that _is_, as you posit, PURPOSEFULLY left unfinished, because it applies to everything in a woman's life.

Sadly, abortion has "usurped" the phrase because "Why won't you just fuck*ng treat me fairly in our society" just doesn't have the ring to it that "A Woman's right To Choose" does.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 04:37:21 pm »

I had to see what you said, Ark...
I love you and want to take you home to meet my folks!!!!!!

*ahem*

You're my new interweb hero I think.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 04:57:15 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Loaded words
Loaded words
Loaded words
Loaded words
Loaded words

I really expect better from people on this forum when we are discussing subjects with this much weight. It's funny, this is exactly the flip side of your original point, and it seems as though you can't see that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
(Not to encourage this but) here's the abortion thread
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 05:22:38 pm »

Half Time!

People are doing very well.  AlohaDawg is well reasoned, arkabee is poetic and beautiful, the mods are worried but letting us continue.  It's great!

BUT

We've a couple of fouls on the field.  Jough, I mostly agree with what you are saying, but the way in which you are conducting yourself is embarrassing.  I know I'm not the boss of you, and I don't really have any authority to hand out kudos and jeers (furthermore nobody asked me), but come on, dude.

1. You attempted to post what I can only assume to be a gut-wrenching emotional image which was probably also way gross in what is otherwise a reasoned debate.  I call foul.  Ten yards.  We all know what we're discussing.  I'd be upset if you posted pictures of motorcycle accidents or the Cure just because we're talking about those subjects.

2. "but yes, it certainly would suck to be saddled with a baby after being raped. I guess killing your own child is the only revenge you can get for that, right?"  If someone is in this circumstance, and they've made this decision, they're already double-scarred.  Your caustic phrasing while humorous in other situations here amounts to kicking someone while they're down.  Personal foul.  Fifteen yard penalty, and lose a down.  This could be rephrased as "I know the 'pregnancy' to be a child, a child is not responsible for her father's actions and should not be terminated because of them."  Something like that.  You can be clear without hurting people, some of which might have had to go through this.

Is there anyone tall around?  I need help getting off this damned high-hoss now.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up