Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 5968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Religion
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 04:34:38 am »

1.    Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2.    Liberal Quakers (85%)
3.    Secular Humanism (80%)
4.    Theravada Buddhism (72%)
5.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (71%)

When I was growing up, my mom was fundamentalist Christian, while my father was fundamentalist Catholic. This worked about as well as putting cats in bags, and basically gave me an intense need to have religious beliefs, coupled with a vague nausea every time they get discussed (the last time someone had a religious discussion with me, I broke down crying in a coffeeshop; the time before, I had to go to the hospital). So I guess it's not that odd that what I grew up in was wayyyy at the bottom.
Now that I'm doing a lot of studying in Asian art, I'm starting to contemplate becoming a Buddhist. God, how stereotypical am I?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Religion
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 05:22:05 am »

1.    Reform Judaism (100%)
2.    Liberal Quakers (94%)
3.    Unitarian Universalism (88%)
4.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
5.    Neo-Pagan (80%)


As a Reform Jew who went to a Quaker college, these results don't exactly shock and startle me.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Religion
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 06:06:06 am »

Am I a bad Christian just for being here in the first place?

/kidding.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Religion
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 06:25:38 am »

WHOOOAAAA, apparently this Theravada Buddhism has something about ceasing the craving for sensuality? Looks like I dodged THAT bullet!
I'm going to replace "Theravada Buddhism" on my list with "Hedonist/Nympho."
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Religion
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 03:09:22 pm »

1. UU (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (99%)
3. Secular Humanism (97%)
4. Taoism (87%)
5. Neo-Paganism (87%)

I am five times more Scientologist (55%) than Roman Catholic (11%), which will disappoint and frighten my Catholic mom.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Religion
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 03:22:16 pm »

1.    Unitarian Universalism  (100%)
2.    Secular Humanism (96%)
3.    Liberal Quakers (88%)
4.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (84%)
5.    Neo-Pagan (76%)
6.    Sikhism (68%)
7.    Theravada Buddhism (67%)
8.    Nontheist (66%)
9.    Reform Judaism (66%)
10.    New Age (59%)

I'm not sure any of this is a surprise, although I've always felt closer to Catholicism than Protestantism. (Then again, I self-identify as a science-focused agnostic -- "isn't the universe beautiful? I don't have a bloody clue whether or not a god is responsible" -- with some deistic tendencies. Who knows?)
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Religion
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 03:44:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Then again, I self-identify as a science-focused agnostic -- "isn't the universe beautiful? I don't have a bloody clue whether or not a god is responsible"


This is essentially my line of thought on things. I feel that if there is a God of some sort, it is in terms of the 'within one and all' thing, and that there is no need to be tied to any way of life to achieve an afterlife, which I believe is just religions way of controlling the masses. But I do feel that, to live a good life one should be morally culpable - treat others as you would want to be treated - just seems like common sense to me!
It's like, surely everyone wants to be happy, so surely we should all help make sure we all are. *sigh*
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Religion
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 04:48:52 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
1A: Help people.
1B: Don't be a fuck.
2: Repeat



This is perfect.  And it's so much easier to memorize than the long Catholic prayers of my youth.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Religion
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 05:03:26 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
1A: Help people.
1B: Don't be a fuck.
2: Repeat


And for those like I, who would find that hard to remember:

10 Help People
20 Don't be a fuck
30 GOTO 10
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Religion
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2004, 05:04:50 pm »

I also generally agree with "help people, don't be a fuck, repeat." I don't feel a religious imperative to be a good person, but I do feel a personal and moral imperative to do so.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Religion
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2004, 05:07:09 pm »

I probably don't do enough on the helping peopleside, but I'm doing pretty well on don't be a fuck.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Religion
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2004, 05:59:23 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
1A: Help people.
1B: Don't be a fuck.
2: Repeat


And for those like I, who would find that hard to remember:

10 Help People
20 Don't be a fuck
30 GOTO 10


Well, that's pretty BASIC.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Religion
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 06:26:36 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Well, that's pretty BASIC.


Harder to do in a language with no basic GOTO instruction.
You have to start adding variables into your if/while loops accounting for whether you're dead or not yet, and that just causes whole semantic arguments best avoided!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Religion
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 04:27:25 pm »

Hey, 96% for Mahayana Buddhism.  Which, rather conveniently, is what I subscribe to (specifically Zen).
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Religion
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2004, 03:18:31 pm »

1.    Secular Humanism  (100%)
2.    Theravada Buddhism (95%)
3.    Unitarian Universalism (84%)
4.    Nontheist (83%)
5.    Liberal Quakers (75%)
6.    Neo-Pagan (72%)
7.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (67%)
8.    Mahayana Buddhism (65%)
9.    New Thought (58%)
10.    New Age (57%)

I don't believe in any gods, and I don't think any exist outside the minds of god-believers.  I believe that everything has a naturalistic explanation that can, in principle, be discovered. I believe all human relations should be voluntary.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up