I guess my point is that as long as a majority of people believe in similar standards for behavior, things work fairly well. Once a nation moves toward secular humanism in general governance becomes far more complicated because now there exists a panoply of disparate views about the derivation of authority to govern as well as what makes good governance.
I think the issue here is that in the UK, and I'm not sure about this, but christianity may not be a fair representation of the populations religion here. We are a small nation, yet have had a LOT of immigrants. Birmingham, Bristol, Leicester and some suburbs of London in particular probably have a majority of Indian and Pakistani immigrants. I know that the core beliefs of christianity are a good thing, and thus to have as the tenets (excuse my spelling, I am tre tired!) of government aren't a bad thing, but I think it has strongly affected things.
Also, I know from a lot of Brits visiting America, or having American friends, that it is not so common for people to be openly atheist in America. Here, it's such an everyday occurrence. No one bats an eyelid if you are openly atheist or nontheist. I think this may have a lot to do with the fact that religion is kept quite seperate from government, which is part of the US constitution (not quite sure if it's in the constitution - but seperation of church and state isn't quite that simple in US politics it seems! - the abortion issue being a prime example).
To address the Americanisation issue - I did NOT mean that we have gun crime because of America. Please, don't think I was meaning that in an 'American is bad and corrupting us' way. It came out wrong I know that. I just meant, the street youth scenes that gun crime is rising in, are the scenes which have been heavily influenced by hip-hop. I just meant it in a cultural way. I mean, before that most gun crime in the Uk was the Yardies in London, but I don't blame Jamaica for that, merely the people IN London. I just think that, without the blase attitude that some US culture and media have, it has given a negative-positive influence on the burgeoning music/street scenes over here. I do feel that if hip-hop wasn't so focused on guns and bling and bitches, then the asian and black hip-hop and garage scenes over here wouldn't have gone the same way. I think this particular set of crime, which is being discussed as a big issue of late here, is less to do with immigration. It is a subculture of people who were born in this country. They are British citizens, not immigrants, and they are killing each other for the same reasons as happens in the US, in the hiphop street cultures. OK, there are other crimes happening, but few involving handguns (or any other kind of gun), thanks to our laws against them.
That said, I am just about the last person who thinks that hip-hop should be censored, regardless of how much I disagree with the demoralisation of women, hatred of gays and the seemingly glorified murder.
Back to the cultural divides here briefly...
I went to Birmingham to visit a close friend of mine a couple of times, (who is asian-british) and I was happy to see that, everywhere I looked there were people of all backgrounds. I live in the middle of nowhere, and there was one black kid at my school. Then one asian kid arrived (offspring of the family who ran the asian restauraunt in town), and that was it. Now there are a few black families, some chinese and some asian, but it is still one of the least diverse populations I have seen, and so to go somewhere with such diversity was incredibly refreshing. And yet there is this very heavy divide, thanks to the BNP and it's followers. When discussion of immigration comes up in politics, it is essentially a majority saying 'NO MORE', as this country has long been where people strive to get to.
As someone who strongly believes that the world would be a better place without borders, it deeply saddens me, but well, it's never going to happen, as capitalism ensures it won't.
Basically though, as, essentially an atheist (at least politically), I feel it is wrong to base any government on one religion, when a considerable enough number may believe something other. I feel it is wrong to generalise, when the basic moral imperatives of humans should be enough. OK, many of those moral imperatives are included in say, the christian commandments, but I feel they should be a basis of governance purely because of their moral reasons, and not because of their inclusion in any one belief structures ways of thought.
Like was said in the religion thread that has started - Be nice to people, don't be a fuck, repeat. OK, there should be more than that, but essentially all legislation and governmental decisions should be based on the moral/human rights - Greed is wrong, murder is wrong, all people are equal, treat others as you would want to be treated &c.
I agree, that people with strong religious values, control themselves using their values as guidelines... I just don't think government should dictate those values, on such a broad and diverse set of cultures and religions. I feel that religion can do so seperately, and government should be a purely nontheist entity, so as to set the basic values. Unfortunately, greed, in particular, stops government doing so effectively, but I don't feel that this is any different in the US, regardless of faith in politics - the war on Iraq, not taxing relatively enough based on income (taxing for the rich really should be a lot higher) &c.
Like I say, I am very tired, but this is very interesting, and has made me think a lot more about our politics than I tend to. And like I say, if any of this sounds like I am insulting the US, I truly am not, I just may be wording things badly as my brain isn't at its best at the moment!