Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Rentals  (Read 2908 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Recent Rentals
« on: August 11, 2003, 03:11:31 am »

This seems to be the thread for things you see, and this forum seems to still be in the "lists of things" phase, so here's one:

The last time you rented (a )movie(s), what was/were it/they? What made you pick them? How many stars would you give it/them?

Sheesh. Handling possible pluralities can be a pain in the ass.

Mine:

Barton Fink - One of two Coen brothers flicks I hadn't yet seen. ***
Evil Dead - Coen leads to Raimi. Classic camp horror. *****
Final Destination 2 - Mindless semi-scary fun, the opposite end of the horror spectrum from Evil Dead. ***
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Recent Rentals
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 03:35:43 am »

Well, it was  a while ago:
Oceans Eleven (new one) - **** - thought it was pretty damn cool. GOod cast ('cept for Roberts... I mean why!?!) .
The Score - ***1/2 - Not a great, but very cool. Great cast (DeNiro and Norton, and Brando) and I had to watch it since the time I saw it was when it was released in Amsterdam and we went with this guy we met to go see it. But I couldn't remember it that well...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Recent Rentals
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 05:22:33 am »

The only home viewing i've seen in a while is some Absolutely Fabulous tapes my cousin gave me.  That shit is insane ****

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Recent Rentals
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 06:47:16 am »

Okay, I should probably be ashamed of this one, but...

Return of the King (the crappy animated '70's one) -- because it's awful and I wanted to traumatize some friends. *
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Recent Rentals
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 07:13:40 am »

Like any respectable Zep fanatic in the 70's I got into LOTR.  About a year after having read the book this movie came out.  I was 14 I guess.  I made my parents drive me to the other side of town to where it was showing (this was before the dawn of the Multiplex) and I was so disapointed I was beside myself with disapointment.  What the fuck was that?  All I had been hearing for months was it's gonna be awesome, it's being done by the great Ralph Bakshi.  Everyone was all like, "You know, the same guy that did Fritz the Cat."  Well at that time, the answer was no, what's a Fritz the Cat.  Anyway, that movie sucked in a very profound way.  So anyway, I have been waiting a looong time for Hollywood to rectify this mistake.  Actually I guess they never did because it was New Zealand that finally brought Middle Earth to life.  Well I guess maybe the money came from Hollywood, but i'm just guessing about that.  I guess what I am trying to say is All Hail Peter Jackson.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Recent Rentals
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 06:21:42 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
All I had been hearing for months was it's gonna be awesome, it's being done by the great Ralph Bakshi.

Oh man, I loved it. Thought it was really good, flawed due to lack of budget yea, but great. And I like the fact that Jackson has stayed fairly true to a lot of it too, some of his imagery is, as he has admitted, taken straight from it!
Some of the shots of the ring wraiths especially.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Recent Rentals
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 06:57:27 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
All I had been hearing for months was it's gonna be awesome, it's being done by the great Ralph Bakshi.

Oh man, I loved it. Thought it was really good, flawed due to lack of budget yea, but great. And I like the fact that Jackson has stayed fairly true to a lot of it too, some of his imagery is, as he has admitted, taken straight from it!
Some of the shots of the ring wraiths especially.

With all due respect, the world needed fewer weird-but-not-scary-looking, inspired-by-the-world's-crappiest-rotoscoping ringwraiths.

Anyway, to segue things back on track... this makes me recall my (not-recent) rental of the Bakshi film. Once again, it was to traumatize my friends, but one of the victimsaudience members managed to one-up me: she pointed out that, as the film goes on, Boromir's kilt/skirt thing gets shorter and shorter and shorter... the Boromir SkirtWatch cost the film the half-star that it normally would have gotten for more or less resembling a movie, sort of. No stars.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up