Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Poll

Do you like eggs?

Yes
- 5 (41.7%)
Yes, but only chicken
- 4 (33.3%)
Yes, but not chicken
- 0 (0%)
No
- 3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: November 12, 2004, 07:18:45 pm


Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November  (Read 2604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« on: November 12, 2004, 07:18:45 pm »

Well, I wanted to mention a show I just saw, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for it, so I thought I would begin an open thread that could encompass perhaps a month's worth of shows or something, so it would be more interesting to a variety of folks, but not unwieldy.

So, my lovely and talented wife bought us tickets to go see David Sedaris last night. Oh it was crazy good fun. I really like his writing and listening to him on NPR - generally I am laughing until I cry. It was like that last night, but even moreso. He had a whole section in the middle based on monkeys that was insane.

Before the show I got in line to get an autograph and say hello. There were three people in front of me when he got up to leave and go start the show. When I went down after the show, I'd say there were about 150 people in line. Oh well, I did pick up a signed copy of his latest, so that was cool.

The only regret I have is that he didn't read any of the Rooster stories.

(Also, somewhat related: I am thinking about seeing the Makers and/or Guided by Voices this upcoming week. I have never heard anything by either band as far as I know. What do you people think about these plans?)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 07:25:42 pm »

I saw Sedaris when he came through Kansas City a couple years ago, and it was a hoot and a holler.  Looking at his schedule it looks like he'll be in Lawrence next April.  I'll definitely have to get out there for that.  I guess he's said that he tries out new stories on the road, and refines them as he's out.  When I bought my copy of Corduroy I recognized one of the stories as one that he read at his appearance in KC.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 08:14:59 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

(Also, somewhat related: I am thinking about seeing the Makers and/or Guided by Voices this upcoming week. I have never heard anything by either band as far as I know. What do you people think about these plans?)


i don't know the Makers, but goto matador's site for mp3's of GBV.  i've always wanted to like GBV, because, well, because, but i've never been able to especially like them.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 09:30:00 pm »

Guided by Voices are awesome, and great besides, and since this is their last tour, I'm going out on a limb to suggest you see them.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 09:33:12 pm »

I'm not familiar with David Sedaris' work, but I love his sister Amy.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 01:26:14 am »

Quote from: "Va"
I'm not familiar with David Sedaris' work, but I love his sister Amy.

David writes extensively about his family. If you enjoy Amy's work, I think you would really enjoy reading his stuff about her. She is clearly insane.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 06:50:52 pm »

Last night I went to check to see Kelly Bell Band again. I convinced some people at work to come check him out as well and indeed a fun night was had by all. The crowd was kind of crazy. During Say One Thing one girl hopped up on stage and started shaking her ass then another got up behind her. The sad thing is that the crowd was into dancing but not participating, so he couldn't do any of the audience-yells-the-chorus songs.

I was also amazed at the sheer amount of weight that he lost. He must've gone from 450 to 250.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 04:43:20 pm »

My most recent concert experience was Devendra Banhart this past Thursday: he was playing at my fave venue here, a nice smoky, hipstery place.  My friend was supposed to be taking pictures for the school paper, but they didn't come through with a press pass for her: fortunately, we saw Devendra in the bar and got him to make the door guys let her in... we were at the front of the crowd and it was a ridiculous show that ended in partial bass-player nudity and an extended reggae jam/onstage audience-participation "free-dance" party.  Devendra Banhart rules.
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 06:46:45 pm »

We blew off the Makers - just didn't have enough interest. We are definitely going to GBV, though. Also, Devendra Banhart is playing here on Wednesday.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 07:23:11 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
We blew off the Makers - just didn't have enough interest. We are definitely going to GBV, though. Also, Devendra Banhart is playing here on Wednesday.


the Makers fluff hog. nice move.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
A fairly recent entertainment - 12 November
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 03:16:30 pm »

I hit two shows this weekend and unfortunately had to miss two.

Friday night I went to see Mary Prankster for her annual Pranksgiving show with The Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band opening. That shit was insane. It was a guitar, drums (sometimes just a bucket), and a washboard. I have never before seen a washboard with a mic on it and it was a little freaky. The best part was in front of me was a mom with her two distinctly goth kids. Every time Mary said anything racy the kids would squirm and look at their mom all uncomfortably. During Mercyfuck I spent more time watching them flinch than listening to the song.

After that about half the audience and both bands drove to another club for Dave Hill's CD live release. Dave amazingly only broke 3 strings (I had 4 in the pool) and during Black Coffee he had Mary come up on stage to sing with him.

Sadly I had to skip The Argument since they were only an opener. And Laughing Colors is breaking up after 13 years, 9 CDs, and over 2,000 live shows but I can't make any of their farewell shows. But anybody who can make it to the Baltimore area should take one in if they get a chance.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up