Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AlohaDawg  (Read 1526 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
AlohaDawg
« on: November 15, 2004, 06:59:53 pm »

Hey, I have a question. I've never been to Hawaii, but my Mom spends half the year there. She lives in Kahuku. According to my atlas, that is just down the road from where you live. So I'm wondering what it is like and so forth. I would like to go visit her as she often extends the invite, but for some reason have never taken her up on it. What can you tell me?

I would have just PMed, but I thought other folks might weigh in on this subject.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
AlohaDawg
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:14:55 am »

Kahuku Point is at the very top of the island; it takes about 45 minutes to an hour  to get there from Kailua. There's just the one road that goes around, you see, and it hugs the coastline - it's one lane - so it's not always a quick trip although it's not really far.

Kahuku is pretty nice. They grow sweet corn and papayas and shrimps there, and lots of other things. There used to be a big sugar mill there; they finally demolished the remains of it this year. It's rural and quiet and people are pretty cool there.

Kahuku is like 'the country' on this island and whenever we have visitors, we drive around the top of the island because it's really pretty and you get interesting views when you're up where the pineapple fields are, and also it's not too far to the surfing spots at Sunset or Pipeline. And a restaurant called 'Breakers' in Haleiwa that I like, especially in the winter when the surfers are in town for the big waves off sunset.



If you look on the right side of the map, there is a peninsula labeled Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps Station. Near that are two dots marked "Kailua" and "Lanikai". I live basically between those dots. Follow 83 around the island.

See the NW edge and how it's dotted? No road there. If you park and hike into Kaena point it's a good place to see dolphins.

You should check it out. The winter brings big waves and rain to the windward side of the island but the temperatures are still high 70s and 80s. If you have a place to stay, I totally recommend spending a week or two hiking and snorkeling and doing things in the relaxed way that just lets you be. No tour buses, no forced marches. I know this great hike back into the mountains that ends in a rock canyon pool and waterfall. You can dive off the cliffs on three sides into the really cold water. It takes a little while to get back there but it's totally worth it.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
AlohaDawg
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 03:45:58 pm »

That's cool. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if we will get there this year, but I think it would be maybe nice to do as a congratulations when my sweetheart finishes school this year. Howver, that'll be more in the summertime, so maybe it would be better during fall/spring, or maybe winter. If it is ok, I will ask you for more information nearer the time of the actual trip. Thank you for the better map, as well.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
AlohaDawg
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 06:54:45 pm »

Last winter was really rainy and so far, so has this fall. I tell people the best time to come is Late September/early October or March/April. when it's not terribly hot and and not really rainy up here yet. If you were to stay on the western end of the island, like in Ko`Olina it's not likely to rain, and Waikiki is usually pretty nice too.

Before you come, make sure to have someone here send you a detailed street guide. It's a must, especially to find the cool non-touristy stuff.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up