Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lileks 8/11/03  (Read 2224 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Lileks 8/11/03
« on: August 11, 2003, 10:53:19 am »

Todays Bleat was a perfect example of what I love about Lileks.  When he's reminiscing he paints such an idylic picture that I really get a warm feeling inside.  It may be BS, a momentary diversion on the way to the grave if you will, but it made me feel good for a while.  Hell, he made me want to buy my Grandmothers house so it doesn't get sold away when my Aunt dies.  Then I remembered that I am in the process of selling everything I own so I can get the hell out of this hillbilly hick town when the opportunity arrises.  Still, I have fond memories of my youth and I can relate to the sentiments he puts forth.  The house I grew up in was knocked down to build a toll plaza, sigh.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Lileks 8/11/03
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 02:24:47 pm »

Yes, this was a very nice one, wasn't it?  Very evocative and entirely free of politics or Hugh Hewitt ass-kissing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Lileks 8/11/03
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 06:47:13 pm »

Man, if he could be this screed-free more consistently, I'd start reading the Bleat again. Good stuff.
Logged

junk

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Lileks 8/11/03
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 04:48:11 pm »

i live like 8 blocks from where lileks grew up, apparently. he definitely has the entire feel of fargo down, especially the dead downtown that theyre trying to breath new life into but will ultimately fail.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up