Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: music thread for variety  (Read 14285 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
music thread for variety
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2004, 06:10:16 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

slink, i found a cd i had forgtenn i had, cevin key's the ghosts of the rooms or something.


Oooh. Cool. I been meaning to track down more cEvin Key stuff, among well, all the others (Tear Garden, more Ritalin &c). It seems to have gotten some favourable reviews...

If you were considering the usual, it may be worth holding off a week or so, since that will be when our broadband connection is hooked up. That said, it doesn't affect you so much either way.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2004, 06:14:00 pm »

i think there was only the one ritalin release. but i might be wrong.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2004, 06:24:43 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
amazon reviewers make the obvious connection that the singer sounds like the guy from radiohead, but one of them makes a connection to Queen i would not have heard but now that i think about it is apparent.


Muse definitely sounds like Queen, bombastically speaking.

And no, i'm not back.  I think it's just impossible.  I miss you guys.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
music thread for variety
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2004, 06:31:13 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

Muse definitely sounds like Queen, bombastically speaking.

And no, i'm not back.  I think it's just impossible.  I miss you guys.

~Paul


Paul! Eeeeek! Dude!

There is certainly Queen in there. Which is weird. Simialrly Chris Cornell's solo album has a certain amount of Queen in there. It's a fantastic album (Disappearing One has the finest intro of anything ever), a lot more subdued than Soundgarden, and an incredible show for Cornell's voice.
Saying you can get sick of Absolution was a little unfair. I hadn't listened to it in a long time, but this spurred me to again. And I am enjoying it a lot. Hysteria is probably the highlight for me. I just love that track!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2004, 07:00:46 pm »

when i say "listen to it until i am sick of it" i mean that  put the cd in the car and play the mp3's at my desk until i can not longer deal with it, regardless of what it is.

it's kind of a test.  for instance, one listen with many fast forwards of The Postal Service versus 2 straight days of this muse thing.

you'd think i'd be ab;e to remember lyrics, though.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2004, 01:28:23 am »

Aight, CD round-up. I grabbed a $3 copy of Spoon's "Kill the Moonlight"; this is, in fact, the third Spoon CD I've ever bought, and the first one that I've actually sorta liked. Everyone kept telling me that Spoon was awesome, and I never even got "interesting" from them until this CD. I also got the new Handsome Boy Modeling School album, "White People," which is pretty awesome, and "Songs the Cramps Taught Us, Vol. 2," which is a bootleg CD with about 25 original songs later covered, in some way, by the Cramps. It is pretty delish.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
music thread for variety
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2004, 01:49:48 am »

I don't know if I've ever asked this, but:

Has anyone else ever seen the Cramps video that takes place in some sort of asylum, or something. I remember seeing it quite a long time ago - maybe 15 years or so? That could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure it was before my 1st marriage. Anyway, I found it disturbing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
music thread for variety
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2004, 03:49:47 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Aight, CD round-up. I grabbed a $3 copy of Spoon's "Kill the Moonlight"; this is, in fact, the third Spoon CD I've ever bought, and the first one that I've actually sorta liked. Everyone kept telling me that Spoon was awesome, and I never even got "interesting" from them until this CD. I also got the new Handsome Boy Modeling School album, "White People," which is pretty awesome, and "Songs the Cramps Taught Us, Vol. 2," which is a bootleg CD with about 25 original songs later covered, in some way, by the Cramps. It is pretty delish.


Aw, Spoon ARE rad.  And Kill The Moonlight has "The Way We Get By", and that song can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.  The Cramps thing sounds pretty rad, too, though I think that a lot of their covers improved on the originals... they certainly ruined the actual "Route 66" for me.
Logged
goose means greedy

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2004, 04:15:51 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

And no, i'm not back.  I think it's just impossible.  I miss you guys.

~Paul


God damn it!  We need to get Paul a new computer.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2004, 02:02:07 am »

I'd throw some spare change on that cause.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2004, 02:07:57 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"

Aw, Spoon ARE rad.  And Kill The Moonlight has "The Way We Get By", and that song can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.  The Cramps thing sounds pretty rad, too, though I think that a lot of their covers improved on the originals... they certainly ruined the actual "Route 66" for me.


I think I know what you're getting next CD round...
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
music thread for variety
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2004, 05:53:11 am »

Hm hm... as for music, well, everything I've ever liked this year can be summarised here

...the last album I purchased was sometime at the end of last month.  Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic.  instant hit.  of course, I had some mp3s before, so I wasn't surprised.

Also, speaking of Spoon... Girls Can Tell is my absolute fav. I must say.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2004, 02:50:35 pm »

Quote from: "starlight"

...the last album I purchased was sometime at the end of last month.  Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic.  instant hit.  of course, I had some mp3s before, so I wasn't surprised.


what is it that you like about J&MC?

also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
music thread for variety
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2004, 03:45:41 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.


Damn straight! Dust in particular being my favourite. But then I'm somewhat biased, as I love everything Lanegan's been involved in!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
music thread for variety
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2004, 01:54:06 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"

what is it that you like about J&MC?

also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.


It's 'cause they're pretty hott.. it sounds like the type of music one would play if they were in a mood.  lines like "Baby you drive me crazy / Don't come around here no more" ..really 'Between Planets' is my fav.  I also have Psycho Candy after hearing the Honey song on the Lost in Translation sndtrk.  this one is more straight forward than that one though.

d'you not like them?

---

Okay, I shall definitely look into getting some screaming trees soon!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up