Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: music thread for variety  (Read 14319 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
music thread for variety
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2004, 01:56:46 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
[also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.


The guitarist from Screaming Trees rode in my car once.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2004, 04:01:41 pm »

Quote from: "starlight"
Quote from: "arkabee"

what is it that you like about J&MC?


It's 'cause they're pretty hott.. it sounds like the type of music one would play if they were in a mood.  lines like "Baby you drive me crazy / Don't come around here no more" ..really 'Between Planets' is my fav.  I also have Psycho Candy after hearing the Honey song on the Lost in Translation sndtrk.  this one is more straight forward than that one though.

d'you not like them?


no, i do, or have, or go through phases of liking them.

i don't know what you mean by "pretty hott".  do you think they are
attractive?

can you be more specific about "in a mood"?  do you mean the band is in a certain mood to play that way or the person putting the cd on would have to be in a certain mood?

i've found that listening to them evokes a very distinct mood for me, but i don't know how much is eovked only from the music as opposed to past context of musical memory, and i'm curious if they evoke a specific mood for you and what it would be.

---
Quote from: "starlight"

Okay, I shall definitely look into getting some screaming trees soon!


Dust, as slink said, is indeed a good album.  i have a fondness for the early 90s album that had their "hit" on it, as that's when i saw them on tour and etc.

uncle anesthesia, though, may not be the best bet for a first screaming trees album purchase.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
music thread for variety
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2004, 10:41:35 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
no, i do, or have, or go through phases of liking them.

i don't know what you mean by "pretty hott".  do you think they are
attractive?

can you be more specific about "in a mood"?  do you mean the band is in a certain mood to play that way or the person putting the cd on would have to be in a certain mood?

i've found that listening to them evokes a very distinct mood for me, but i don't know how much is eovked only from the music as opposed to past context of musical memory, and i'm curious if they evoke a specific mood for you and what it would be.


Ah sorry :\
I realised I've been using the term 'hott' too much which is not usually my term of description.  I think some teen chip got put in my head sometime last week.

Anyhow, I meant the music is good sex / action music and yes, the person listening must be in a 'mood'.

I guess this idea hits most considering who told me to listen to it... an "ex" ..ahah.  he was quoting all the sexy lines and telling me it's the best mood music, so therefore it stuck.

---

Annnd Dust it is then.
I cannot purchase anything till after xmas, but maybe I'll dl a track later on soulseek to see what I think!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2004, 02:11:40 am »

inneresting.

they've always put me in the mood to get a buzz on, chainsmoke, and wander aimlessly the sidewalks through fog.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2005, 12:23:44 am »

stratageme's "james vs the reds".

damn but that is a beautiful guitar note.

play that guitar note, play it.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2005, 06:41:36 am »

Right now I'm listening to "China Cat Sunflower," and kind of hating myself for it. Recently, I've been listening to the new Sufjan Stevens, the old Fiery Furnaces, the old Bobby Bare, Jr., the old Robbie Fulks, and the new Nick Cave.
I saw Will Oldham, aka Bonnie Prince Billy, walking down the street today, and then finished the night by watching this. Yes, that picture is Will Oldham, HIGH AS HELL on shrooms, riding in a go-kart.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
music thread for variety
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2005, 10:28:59 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"

I saw Will Oldham, aka Bonnie Prince Billy, walking down the street today, and then finished the night by watching this. Yes, that picture is Will Oldham, HIGH AS HELL on shrooms, riding in a go-kart.


Wow, that picture is slightly.... disturbing...

---

I cannot get the song 'Jet Ski Accidents' by The Blow out of my head.. it's been there for two straight days...

Mostly it's the 'ba ba bum ba ba bum' that does it... over and over again.  just when I get it out, it comes back during a quiet moment.

I could be evil and link the mp3 (I recently put it on a double disc mix from someone's mp3 compilation they posted), but I think I'll spare y'all.

---

I've also been listening to the Annie - Anniemal album.  it's quite addictive in a poppy electro dancey way.

Currently waiting for my darn Hood single and manyfingers album I ordered to get here.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
music thread for variety
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2005, 01:30:19 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Will Oldham, HIGH AS HELL on shrooms, riding in a go-kart.


Man, even if I never see that, it makes me very happy deep inside to know that it exists.
I've been listening to the Hidden Cameras (went in to intern at the paper last night and all they had for me to do was an Urgent Last-Minute CD Review of the Cameras' new album), Frog Eyes, a Swedish indie-rock band called Dungen, Neutral Milk Hotel's v. old and endearing Hype City Soundtrack, lots of T.Rex and David Bowie as usual, and the Lovely Feathers (band from my school that's apparently in the process of making it big-ish).
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
music thread for variety
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2005, 04:12:12 pm »

I've only listened to the Temptations and Otis Redding since I've been home.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2005, 04:19:16 pm »

The only new stuff I'm listening to is The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed! ( a hybrid of Motorhead and the Byrds ) and a few songs I bought from the Nirvana box set ( which I suppose does not even qualify as new ).  Old stuff: Catherine Wheel, Reign in Blood, Jimi Hendrix and Benny Goodman.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
music thread for variety
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2005, 04:31:20 pm »

I know a guy who taught his 5 year old boy to recite Angel of Death.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
music thread for variety
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2005, 05:49:51 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
a Swedish indie-rock band called Dungen


This is a really great record.  For all fans of 60s/70s psych rock.  You wouldn't be able to guess it wasn't recorded then.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

monkeybutter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2005, 07:05:31 pm »

the only bands i'm listening to are Modest penis (saw em in october), The Pixies (June) and Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Temple of the Dog and Nirvana!!
Anyone in to grunge, i need to hear more!! Need to get some mother love bone or green river- they any good? Can't download tunes so have to invest my cash wisely!
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
music thread for variety
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2005, 07:37:07 pm »

I've been listening to a lot of Ojos de Brujo, Mellowdrone and Defacto of late.  I listen to Temple of the Dog occasionally, but mostly if I listen to grunge now, it would be Mudhoney, Soundgarden or straying off into like, Alice in Chains or Mad Season. But even then I haven't listened to any grunge in a while...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

monkeybutter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2005, 08:02:02 pm »

ah yes, alice in chains- only got Unplugged but its ace! Need some Soundgarden, Chris Cornell is well cool
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up