Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: music thread for variety  (Read 14309 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
music thread for variety
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2005, 11:30:38 pm »

If you like that stuff you ought to have Mother Love Bone. You should be able to find it used for like $8. It's worth it if you are at all into that stuff. It stands up better than most of it, because Andrew was just so glammy. He's got that whole rock-and-roll junkie squall voice. And he wasn't particularly earnest, which is nice in a musician.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2005, 02:05:03 am »

Staaaaaaaaaaaar-dog Chem-pee-uuuuuuuuuuun!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
music thread for variety
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2005, 04:25:45 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Staaaaaaaaaaaar-dog Chem-pee-uuuuuuuuuuun!


OK, now you don't need to buy the album.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
music thread for variety
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2005, 06:42:43 am »

New Nirvana Box Set:  don't get it.  Just in case you were considering it.  Just download the best tracks.  The DVD sucks ass.

Green River is a pretty good band, though it's been years since I've heard them.

Treepeople, an earlier band Doug Martsch from Built to Spill, has some cool stuff.  They aren't exactly comparable to other bands, but all those bands from that late 80s to mid 90s are pretty different anyway.  I can only speak for the Treepeople records featuring Doug Martsch, however.  Particularly Guilt Regret and Embarrassment.  K Records released it a few years ago.  I have an older release, on Toxic Shock(?) records out of Tucson that has 9 or so extra songs, including Handcuffs, one of the best rock songs of the 90s.  Try to find that if you can, though I have no idea how hard it is to find now.

Other bands from the era I have enjoyed:  Tad, The Melvins, and jesus, my brain can't remember anymore.

Oh yeah, speaking of jesus, don't forget the Jesus Lizard.  While not really a part of that scene, they are my favorite hard rock band of all time (AC/DC, Bon Scott era, a distant second), and Liar is my favorite hard rock record of all time.

Karp is another fun band.  Karp records are on K, and they have a good compilation on another label.

Go watch the movie Hype if you haven't already.  It's really, really funny.  And it has some cool music.

I think Chris Cornell and Layne Staley are two of the greatest rock vocalists of all time.  I only mention that because I listened to Would off of Dirt and a few songs off of Badmotorfinger earlier tonight.  Just great vocalists.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
music thread for variety
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2005, 07:34:39 am »

I remember when the "Singles" soundtrack came out and how it was the first soundtrack and movie to be about that whole Seattle scene (sort of).

It was a good scene - all good music scenes require a change of clothes (the grunge scene was like the lumberjack scene dress-wise) and as Zappa said, rock is to dress up to.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
music thread for variety
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2005, 02:19:37 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
I think Chris Cornell and Layne Staley are two of the greatest rock vocalists of all time.  I only mention that because I listened to Would off of Dirt and a few songs off of Badmotorfinger earlier tonight.  Just great vocalists.


"Jar of Flies" is one of the few albums from that era that I still listen to on a regular basis.  When I was home for Christmas I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Ten" since I noticed a while ago that I seem to have lost my copy.  I just felt that I should own a copy of that album.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
music thread for variety
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2005, 11:10:28 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
When I was home for Christmas I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Ten" since I noticed a while ago that I seem to have lost my copy.  I just felt that I should own a copy of that album.


On a related note, when G 'n R "Appetite" came out, I thought that I would always feel the above about that album. I haven't had a copy in at least ten years, and I don't miss it a bit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
music thread for variety
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2005, 06:19:49 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
I've also been listening to the Annie - Anniemal album.  it's quite addictive in a poppy electro dancey way.


I am really enjoying this.  Isn't Heartbeat...heartbreaking?

Do you like Saint Etienne?  I guess not that similar, but they are dancey, and sometimes they have a similar feel.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
music thread for variety
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2005, 06:23:18 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
When I was home for Christmas I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Ten" since I noticed a while ago that I seem to have lost my copy.  I just felt that I should own a copy of that album.


On a related note, when G 'n R "Appetite" came out, I thought that I would always feel the above about that album. I haven't had a copy in at least ten years, and I don't miss it a bit.


I love Appetite.  I was 9, I believe, when that came out, and it was the first naughty music I was into.  But I never listen to it, so everytime I re-buy it I re-sell it.

Ten was the first CD I ever owned, and I still have it.  I almost sold it once, but the dude behind the counter said it was too scratched.  It still plays though.  Although I don't love it as I once did, it has some choice cuts.  Once, Alive, Black, Porch and Even Flow are all great.  Well, Black's kind of obnoxious, but it's good.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
music thread for variety
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2005, 06:52:57 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
what is it that you like about J&MC?

also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.


I need to get into the Screaming Trees again.  I really like Mark Lanegan's song with Queens of the Stone Age, Hangin' Tree.  Another great vocalist.

Jesus & Mary Chain are like an aphrodisiac for my ex-girlfriend.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
music thread for variety
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2005, 08:46:01 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "starlight"
I've also been listening to the Annie - Anniemal album.  it's quite addictive in a poppy electro dancey way.


I am really enjoying this.  Isn't Heartbeat...heartbreaking?

Do you like Saint Etienne?  I guess not that similar, but they are dancey, and sometimes they have a similar feel.


Well, since I read a slight review a friend wrote about it before hearing the album, I ended up finding a good lot o' the album slightly heartbreaking underneath it all.

I have one Saint Etienne album.. Finisterre.  it's good stuff.  I like to use the voice clips of that butler-sounding guy at the beginning of most the tracks as intros on mixes.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
music thread for variety
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2005, 06:05:34 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Ten was the first CD I ever owned, and I still have it.


DSOTM, Houses of the Holy, and Strange Days were my first three, and I still have them all. That had to be back in '84 or so. Remember when CDs came in those long cardboard boxes with the cover art on them?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2005, 06:37:49 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Remember when CDs came in those long cardboard boxes with the cover art on them?


yes.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2005, 06:46:49 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
Ten was the first CD I ever owned, and I still have it.


DSOTM, Houses of the Holy, and Strange Days were my first three, and I still have them all. That had to be back in '84 or so. Remember when CDs came in those long cardboard boxes with the cover art on them?


First albums I owned were News of the World, Out of the Blue and Point of Know Return, all on 8-Track.

I think the first CD was REM's Out of Time.  I didn't buy a CD player until about '92.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
music thread for variety
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2005, 07:11:25 pm »

Can we not do the "first album" thing?  I don't want to admit that the first album I bought was The Bangles "Different Light".
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up