Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: music thread for variety  (Read 14299 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
music thread for variety
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2005, 07:34:39 pm »

Yeah, doing best albums from the year we were born (this was a long time ago) was embarassing enough.
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2005, 08:07:26 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Can we not do the "first album" thing?  I don't want to admit that the first album I bought was The Bangles "Different Light".


the first tape i bought was Genesis' abacab.

the first cd's i bought were REM's automatic for the people and helmet's meantime.

i bring this up, because i am in process of selling all of my cd's.
so, the other night, i am selling some cd's.
and i look at the one as the lady scans it, and i say "oh, that was the first cd i ever bought" and she didn't even seem to catch it.

apparently, i expect an unreasonable amount of empathy from managerial staff at book/music/movie chains.

on a side note:
the average, or most common, price for buy back at that store is one dollar.

so far, i've had a couple of 3 dollar, and one 5 dollar so far.

and the 5 dollar goes to:
(drumroll please)
Cake's Fashion Nugget.

i don't get it.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
music thread for variety
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2005, 08:19:06 pm »

My first CD was The Cure's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me," which I have recently sold.  I concluded it was too fuckin' whiny.

First LP:  ELO's Greatest Hits.  Hooray for pre-teen tastelessness!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2005, 08:44:34 pm »

My first Album was Billy Joel's "Glass Houses".
Then the Beatles Greatest  Hits 1967-1970.

These were on LP. Then I got an 8-track of ELO's Greatest Hits.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2005, 09:27:17 pm »

KISS ALIVE II.  With the temporary tattoos and everything.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2005, 09:39:11 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Remember when CDs came in those long cardboard boxes with the cover art on them?


Oh!  I had forgotten.  Thank you for reminding me that once in a great while there IS such a thing as progress.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2005, 09:41:20 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Can we not do the "first album" thing?  I don't want to admit that the first album I bought was The Bangles "Different Light".


Oh, come on, that's supposed to be embarassing?  I strongly suspect that the first album I owned was something by the Partridge Family, but fortunately I am so old that my memory's gone and I don't really remember.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2005, 09:46:44 pm »

Mine were the first albums I ever bought for myself.  First album ever purchased for me was either Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsment or John Denver's Greatest Hits.  I also wore out a 45 of Don McLean's American Pie.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2005, 10:10:59 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
 I also wore out a 45 of Don McLean's American Pie.


Ah, I fondly remember doing this also.  Didn't it take up both sides of the 45?

I don't remember what the first albums I bought for myself were.  Maybe Paul Simon with or without Garfunkel.  I think the first CD was Graceland, come to think of it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2005, 10:50:55 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
...Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsment...


I remember wearing both my self and that record out.  


um, not sure i needed to know that...
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2005, 12:14:11 am »

Mine was Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

WOOOOOO!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
music thread for variety
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2005, 12:29:01 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, doing best albums from the year we were born (this was a long time ago) was embarassing enough.


I'll have you know that was my thread, and I was inordinately proud of coming up with that idea.

Actually, I just thought it was an interesting thing that "Ten" would have been someone's first CD. Shit, one of my first record albums was "Synchronicity". I think my first 45 was "Watching the Wheels". Then again, my older brother has some 5000 records, so I didn't really have to buy 'em.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
music thread for variety
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2005, 01:02:43 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
...Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsment...


I remember wearing both my self and that record out.  Gleefull capering mandatory to that, I think.


Yeah, I had one of those big bouncy ball with a handle that you sat on and bounced and I would just get crazy frenetic to the 10-20-30-40-50 song.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
music thread for variety
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2005, 05:00:50 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, doing best albums from the year we were born (this was a long time ago) was embarassing enough.


Gang of Four:  Entertainment!
Talking Heads:  Fear of Music
The Clash:  London Calling
Pere Ubu:  New Picnic Time
Public Image Ltd:  Second Edition
Wire:  154

Not a bad year.  Until I was born.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
music thread for variety
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2005, 05:46:51 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, doing best albums from the year we were born (this was a long time ago) was embarassing enough.


Gang of Four:  Entertainment!
Talking Heads:  Fear of Music
The Clash:  London Calling
Pere Ubu:  New Picnic Time
Public Image Ltd:  Second Edition
Wire:  154

Not a bad year.  Until I was born.


Well, PIL's "Second Edition" came out in 1980 in the US, but yeah, "Metal Box" came out in '79 just like the other albums.

Still, 1979 kinda sucked for music (London Calling notwithstanding).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up