I generally sleep a hell of a lot better than I used to, despite, as mentioned briefly in some other thread, the fact that I cycle through narcolepsy and insomnia. Some weeks I can't stop sleeping. Some I can't sleep at all.
It's odd at the moment, as I have just started dreaming again, for the first time in a year or so, or at least, being aware of the dreams. I never have nightmares, or conventional dreams in any way, but they always leave me waking up feeling really fucked up. Usually because it was either the way I want my life to be, or because it was just so weird that I spend the day trying to comprehend where the hell it came from.
I used to have real sleep problems though. I used to sleepwalk, sleep with my eyes open (both of which freaked people out no end) and suffer sleep paralysis. usually I wouldn't call that suffering, but by god it was horrible!
At the moment I'm just in a state of insomnia (not quite but pretty much) where I can get to sleep, and sleep for a long time when I do, but the actual getting to sleep is so diffficult... I have to ba conscious for at least 18 hours to stand a chance of passing out.
I read an interesting New Scientist article about sleep patterns, and the round-the-world-yachtsman who did research on how to get decent catnap sleep. It was showing how if you wake up during REM sleep you will wake up fairly painlessly, but if you wake from deep sleep it take ages to stop feeling groggy. This is what I've been doing the last fortnight now, is waking up from REM sleep and thus waking up halfway through a dream. It has though meant I wake up fairly fast now.
I hate sleep. it always feels like such a waste of time. But I'm too old now to stay up two days straight like I used to regularly.
"Oh look, it's daylight, well, if I stay up I'll be able to get to sleep at midnight..."
I always ended up staying up 'til about 2 whenever I tried it though...
Apparently the natural points at which you feel tired are around 6-8pm as well as 2pm ish. I can vouch for that!
Oh. And I do occasionally wake up at various points of the night with cramp in my leg. Which sucks and tends to involve me half-unconscious rolling around/jumping up, nigh-on in tears, screaming. Worst is when the cramp is in both the shin and calf muscles, and possibly top and bottom of foot, so nothing I do fixes it, or I have to increase the pain on one side to fix the other. Ack. Given the cramp I had driving home earlier, I fear tonight might be such a night. Time to go eat a banana or two!