Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GTA:SA  (Read 4898 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
GTA:SA
« on: November 19, 2004, 05:20:40 pm »

For those folks who post here who are not above or too cool for hyper-violent video games, I thought I'd offer this. I just got this, and I can't believe video games have gotten this big and complex. This is a long way from Lemonade Stand on my father's Apple II+. I've seen about 5% of this thing and it's just crazy. In-game video games, pool, riding bicycles, needing to eat and stay fit, tatoos/haircuts/clothes for your character - and I like that they didn't really ratchet up the violence (though the language is truly foul), they actually made the game deeper and more immersive. You might not want to leave it laying around for young children to see, however.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
GTA:SA
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 05:25:22 pm »

Well, I consider GTA: Vice City to be about the best game I've ever played, and I've heard that San Andreas is about eight times the size of VC with more side-games (like, you can play billiards or various casino games, etc., and the side games are also good and well made).

I'm looking forward to this one coming to the PC.  There's no way I'm aiming and shooting with a stinkin' console game pad.  For me it's one hand on the penis, the other on the keyboard directional keys.

I think there's going to be an X-Box version in the Spring and then a PC version finally next fall.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
GTA:SA
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 05:31:27 pm »

My B-I-L has VC on the PC and says the aiming and shooting and everything is much better that way, but I've sort of gotten used to it on the PS2. I'm sure I'd be much happier the other way, though. Oh well. I got the damn PS2 in the first place for GTA games.

I've played the pool and the video games, but haven't gotten to the casinos yet. The video games are much better than the Vice City ones that are on the net.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
GTA:SA
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 06:01:20 pm »

I really used to be a PC FPS snob, but after playing some Halo 2 last weekend with some friends, I think I've been convinced that first person shooters can work on consoles.  The same friend left me with GTAIII and GTA:Vice City since he's done with them.  San Andreas should be out for X-Box by the time I make it through those.  

Now if only they can get Half Life 2 ported to X-Box.  That's one that I'm definitely upset about not being able to play.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
GTA:SA
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 07:01:13 pm »

My hubby has been playing GTA:SA obsessively for a week or so, but he just got bumped so that I can play Metroid Prime 2 obsessively for a week or so.

GTA:SA is amazing--it's surprisingly entertaining just to watch someone else play it.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
GTA:SA
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 12:13:29 am »

Yeah, I've never actually played any of the GTA games, but I've spectated extensively; they're really quite good spectator experiences (probably more than they would be were I playing them, since in technical video-gamer terminology I "suck").

Around here, most of the buzz has been the Warcraft MMO, which is eating our dorm. I'm personally just slipping around our campus firewalls to play some sweet, sweet City of Heroin Heroes, which suits me just fine; the concept of keeping up with two MMOs at once sort of scares me.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
GTA:SA
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 12:41:45 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Around here, most of the buzz has been the Warcraft MMO, which is eating our dorm. I'm personally just slipping around our campus firewalls to play some sweet, sweet City of Heroin Heroes, which suits me just fine; the concept of keeping up with two MMOs at once sort of scares me.

Slipping around the firewalls? Does the school try to block access for some reason?

Can you imagine a private ISP charging $50/month then blocking games or p2p? Yet schools try that shit all the time.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
GTA:SA
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 01:34:43 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Around here, most of the buzz has been the Warcraft MMO, which is eating our dorm. I'm personally just slipping around our campus firewalls to play some sweet, sweet City of Heroin Heroes, which suits me just fine; the concept of keeping up with two MMOs at once sort of scares me.

Slipping around the firewalls? Does the school try to block access for some reason?

I'm not totally sure -- I actually haven't even been trying any strange tricks, but I've heard from a friend of mine that CoH is supposed to be banned here. I've never had trouble getting it to work (although it runs like total crap), which suggests that I may secretly be a ninja.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
GTA:SA
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 12:12:32 pm »

Damn straight, I've been lovng San Andreas. When 3 (Liverty) came out on PC I got it straight away, and since then have been playing it and Vice City a lot. They are ideal as pick up and play games even once completed.
SA is indeed just massive. I am on the third island now, and well, I'm beginning to learn my way around that one too. But basically, flying is the best way to get places.

That and lots of use of the FCR-900.

It's been bunped for the last week or so as I've been playing Half Life 2 though, which is superb. First FPS I've truly enjoyed since Call of Duty and probably HL1 before that. I would refuse to play an FPS on anything but PC. SA is a bit odd on controller only, as I used to play the others with a Dual Shock for driving and penis and keys for on foot. The first mission for Zero I got within a second of completeing, but without a penis it's a bitch!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
GTA:SA
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 02:06:07 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Can you imagine a private ISP charging $50/month then blocking games or p2p? Yet schools try that shit all the time.


why does this upset you?


one of my favorite phone calls i had to take was to the effect:
"hey, why are you guys blocking ports!!? i pay you money!"
'sir, what ports are you referring to?'
"i don't need to tell you which ones, just stop blocking them!"
'sir, it's quite possible that we might be blocking the ports in question, but since i don't know which ones those are, i could not tell you whether we are or are not.'
"you shouldn't block any ports at all! i pay you money!"
'yes sir, yes sir you do.  you pay us money for internet access and for reasonable and prudent efforts made on your behalf by us to try and not let you be hacked.  if you like to be hacked, or would like to hack, might i suggest going to another service.'
-
later, he had his mom call and complain that i had been mean to him, and that she was going to cancel her (his...) account.  i asked her what he was trying to do.

he was trying to get a subseven connection to his "friend's" machine and do a "harmless" "prank".  once i explained what he was doing she hung up.
-
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
GTA:SA
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 02:10:24 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Can you imagine a private ISP charging $50/month then blocking games or p2p? Yet schools try that shit all the time.

why does this upset you?

I understand basic firewalls and such are necessary but some schools have tried blocking legitimate programs such as games because they think it's a poor use of their bandwidth/servers. And at my school you couldn't cancel your service as it was an automatic part of the housing fee. But then they never blocked any games or even Napster.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
GTA:SA
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 02:21:59 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Can you imagine a private ISP charging $50/month then blocking games or p2p? Yet schools try that shit all the time.

why does this upset you?

I understand basic firewalls and such are necessary but some schools have tried blocking legitimate programs such as games because they think it's a poor use of their bandwidth/servers. And at my school you couldn't cancel your service as it was an automatic part of the housing fee. But then they never blocked any games or even Napster.


it _is_ a poor use of their bandwidth.  and you couldn't cancel your service, because it's not a service it's a value added resource that comes with the service namely housing.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
GTA:SA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 03:59:45 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Can you imagine a private ISP charging $50/month then blocking games or p2p? Yet schools try that shit all the time.

why does this upset you?

I understand basic firewalls and such are necessary but some schools have tried blocking legitimate programs such as games because they think it's a poor use of their bandwidth/servers. And at my school you couldn't cancel your service as it was an automatic part of the housing fee. But then they never blocked any games or even Napster.

it _is_ a poor use of their bandwidth.  and you couldn't cancel your service, because it's not a service it's a value added resource that comes with the service namely housing.

But if I'm paying $50/month (which is itemized on the housing bill) for the school as an ISP then I should get the same service that $50/month would get me through Comcast.

Now I'm all for locking down library and computer lab machines because those are school-owned and intended for academic purposes, but in a dorm room on a student owned computer there's nothing wrong with gaming. Schools need to either accept non-academic network use or charge less so they can say that the reduced fee brings reduced service. And in doing so, open up their cable/phone systems for competition from private ISPs.

Luckily I went to a school that believed in absolute free speech and never hindered network traffic but I heard a lot of stories from friends at schools that were less permissive.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
GTA:SA
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 04:48:23 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Now I'm all for locking down library and computer lab machines because those are school-owned and intended for academic purposes, but in a dorm room on a student owned computer there's nothing wrong with gaming.


Goddamn straight!
It's not a heavy enough draw on their bandwidth either, despite maybe thinking it's a wasteful use of it.
P2P, I can understand why they might want to block it, but again, meh.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
GTA:SA
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 05:06:17 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Damn straight, I've been lovng San Andreas. When 3 (Liverty) came out on PC I got it straight away, and since then have been playing it and Vice City a lot. They are ideal as pick up and play games even once completed.
SA is indeed just massive. I am on the third island now, and well, I'm beginning to learn my way around that one too. But basically, flying is the best way to get places.

That and lots of use of the FCR-900.

Bastard! I'm not even off the first island. But then again, I'm trying my damndest not to play it much when my wife is home, because I could just be in the room for 18 hours a day if I let myself. I think I'm about two missions from island number two.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up