Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Incredibles (Pixar)  (Read 8476 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« on: November 21, 2004, 04:48:42 am »

Hey kids,

I saw Pixar's latest, The Incredibles tonight and was totally blown away.  I can't remember the last time I just had so much FUN watching a movie.  This film - from the voice work, the story, characters, Bond-inspired music and set design, everything just WORKS.  It's probably the most joyful movie-going experience you could have this year.

Having said that, I don't know if it's "fun for the whole family."  Kids will likely be bored by this film, due to its adult-themes and long running time (a 2-hour animated film will have even the most ritalin-numbed child squirming) but leave the kids with a sitter and go see this one yourselves.

A+++ WOULD DO BUSINESS WITH AGAIN

I would go into more detail, but I try to limit my internet time when I have been drinking.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 05:55:46 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I would go into more detail, but I try to limit my internet time when I have been drinking.


Dang, then I'd never get online.

We haven't seen it yet, but we're planning to.  Also want to see the Spongebob movie.  I consider Spongebob sort of the spiritual heir of Bullwinkle and Rocky.  Same innate silliness, essential goodheartedness and only slightly veiled adult themes.  Plus, the guy's a fry cook.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 07:47:41 am »

We saw The Incredibles the night it opened; it was spectacular.  Great story, great pacing and Pixar has totally outdone itself technically. Everything about this movie is awesome.  

The Star Wars Episode III trailer was good too.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 08:08:00 am »

Yeah, I really, really liked the Incredibles; being a huge comic book/superhero dork, the entire movie was basically made to make me smile.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 12:58:16 pm »

The Incredibles was just a really excellent movie on a lot of levels. It does appear to be viably fun for the kids, too, at least if the little kid a row or two behind us who had every line memorized was any indicator.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 04:20:46 pm »

Dammit people. I really want to hate this movie because Disney made it, but I might end up having to rent it.

Also, I heard the Spongebob movie isn't as fun as the show because it's more linear. Not that it's bad, just different in style a bit.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 06:37:47 pm »

Disney did NOT make this film - Pixar made it - Disney only distributes it and has merchandising rights to the characters (they also have sequel rights to make a sequel themselves - which they're planning to do with a Toy Story 3 - shudder).

Pixar has one more film to make in which they are beholden to Disney - next year's "Cars" - and then they're free to make a larger chunk of the profits and to fund their own films.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 03:08:31 pm »

LOVED IT
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 06:44:19 pm »

So the Ayn Rand kids on campus are saying that the Incredibles was heavily influenced by Objectivist philosophy.  Is this the case?  Or, like all cultists, are they just trying to get the world to fit their view?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 07:51:49 pm »

Sure, everyone knows that no good kids movie can be made without the influence of some kind of fringe philosophy. My five year old grabbed my copy of The Fountainhead as soon as we got home.

College is the place that manufactures by the hundreds those who Karl Marx would call "Useful Idiots".

Stalin. Mao, Kim and other communist revolutionaries to follow were smart enough to kill all the 'intellectuals' first.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 07:51:56 pm »

Well, the "message" of The Incredibles is pretty simplistic, so I can't imagine any legitimate philosphy wanting to co-opt it.

Basically the message is that in a society where EVERYONE is supposed to be "special," then really no one is, and that if you have exceptional abilities you should utilise them.

It's not really about rationalising the evils of capitalism, which is basically the crux of Objectivism.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 08:56:37 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Sure, everyone knows that no good kids movie can be made without the influence of some kind of fringe philosophy. My five year old grabbed my copy of The Fountainhead as soon as we got home.

College is the place that manufactures by the hundreds those who Karl Marx would call "Useful Idiots".

Stalin. Mao, Kim and other communist revolutionaries to follow were smart enough to kill all the 'intellectuals' first.


I read the Fountainhead in High School (apparently your kid's a bit precocious).  I heard from a friend that a feminist critic called it (or perhaps all of Rand's novels) a romance novel for intellectuals.  It seems to fit.  Luckily, I'm not an intellectual.  I'm a sensualist, so I take my soft-core porn straight, without any kind of cerebral padding.

As far as Objectivism's point, I saw it mainly as a refuatation of altruism.  You can be a laissez-faire capitalist and a philanthropist, but I think Rand saw altruism as an evil, even if it's not compelled.

I really want to see the movie though.  I think Pixar still has a perfect record, which is unusual for a production company like that.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Skillator

  • Guest
Just saw it last night
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 06:39:09 pm »

Yep this one's good!
It'll be a shame when fantastic four comes out later on, and can't compare to this movie. Superhero movies need to be animated. It's the only way to make them believable. As soon as you put Ben Affleck, or whoever your flavour of the month actor is, in it, you suck all the fun out of it and make it about how truly awful he/she is at acting.
Just give me the voice...
And having Jason Lee's voice is never a bad thing. Way to go incredibles!
This one would be worth making a sequel to, but I doubt it because Pixar will not want to have anything to do with Disney when they don't have to.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 06:48:24 pm »

Don't take this the wrong way, but is that necessary? I mean, if I could just channel Friday for a moment here: fuck you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

monkeybutter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
The Incredibles (Pixar)
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 06:56:24 pm »

oooh, I bought The Incredibles on pirate dvd from a dodgy guy in the pub on Friday, hope it works, it sounds excellent.
And all you Spongebob fans, you heard of "The church of Spongebob"? I want to start up an English chapter- to become initated you have to "drop on the deck and flop like a giraffe!" For real!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up