Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakthroughs  (Read 7739 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« on: November 24, 2004, 08:41:15 pm »

Can it really be this easy to get a patent?

Your responses, please, but also links to other great inventions but staggering geniuses like this one.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Breakthroughs
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 08:49:59 pm »

I wouldn't have believed my opinion of "intellectual property" could have gotten any lower, but it just did.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 11:21:38 pm »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 11:27:52 pm »

Reminds me of the company that held a patent on hyperlinks and wanted to sue the world over their misuse. I belive this was BT (the telephone company, not the techno artist).
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Breakthroughs
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 12:49:14 am »

There's some guy who recently claimed he has the patent on 3d virtual worlds or some such, essentially claiming that every 3d video game since 198x is breaking his patent.
I severely doubt anything will come of this, considering he waited this long. It is obviously just a  misuse of patents. Unfortunately, most patents are a misuse of patents, in terms of what they were originally intended for. Similarly, all this RIAA shit about copyrights - that is NOT WHAT THEY WERE FOR!
Gah.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Breakthroughs
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 05:44:10 pm »

Quote from: "That first article"
By packaging them individually, Esparza said, they are safer than square paper towels on a roll.


Huh?
I mean, yesterday morning, my coffee mug imploded and left me covered in hot coffee and bleeding profusely from three places on my face, but I've still never felt menaced by square paper towels on a roll.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 07:55:09 pm »

I had this same reaction...how are standard rolls of paper towels dangerous? And if they are, given the application, wouldn't toilet paper offer similar dangers to more sensitive places?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Breakthroughs
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 12:47:16 am »

I don't know about you, but I always make sure to sit so I am facing the paper towel dispenser.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 01:25:21 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"

Huh?
I mean, yesterday morning, my coffee mug imploded and left me covered in hot coffee and bleeding profusely from three places on my face, but I've still never felt menaced by square paper towels on a roll.


Wait, you're not serious, right?
....
I must not think bad thoughts, I must not think bad thoughts, coffee is my friend, coffee is my friend
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 02:23:05 am »

You'll put your eye out, kid!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 04:28:56 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "andalucia"

Huh?
I mean, yesterday morning, my coffee mug imploded and left me covered in hot coffee and bleeding profusely from three places on my face, but I've still never felt menaced by square paper towels on a roll.


Wait, you're not serious, right?
....
I must not think bad thoughts, I must not think bad thoughts, coffee is my friend, coffee is my friend


If there was a microwave involved I've read about why this happens. A superheated liquid inside a smooth. fault-free surface with no place for the bubbles to form can explode (expand rapidly) when touched or moved. I've never heard of the cup actually exploding, too though. Was there a lid on it?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Breakthroughs
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 04:36:34 am »

Coffee was microwaved, yes, but not with a lid.  I wish I knew how it happened, but since it was before the actual ingestion of said coffee, my cognitive faculties were somewhat lacking.

But yeah.  My face is visibly cut up and stuff and I am so terribly perplexed.  Coffee and I are still friends though.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 04:42:26 am »

Microwave Coffee Explosion

Also lots of other interesting things to do with someone else's microwave, like create ball lightning.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Breakthroughs
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 08:48:02 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
But yeah.  My face is visibly cut up and stuff and I am so terribly perplexed.  Coffee and I are still friends though.


That really sucks, but thank God you weren't heating a mug of hazardous chemicals, or you could be Daredevil right now.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Breakthroughs
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 06:26:11 pm »

Man, and I thought managing to shatter a beaker in my hand during the last Chemistry lab this week was an unpleasant shard-related injury. (I managed to walk away with two tiny hand cuts, but they were deep enough that they bled like stuck pigs all the way to the Health Center.)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up