The question of whether respect is increasing or decreasing or not is a tough one.
In Canada I see action toward an increase in respect of the individual - there’s a growing tolerance towards diversity and a broadening of laws to allow, more and more, for one to live one’s life as one chooses so long as it does no harm to others. So I think, things are going good. But then, I look at how polarized the world has become, especially toward American policy, and I get worried. After all, the big news story in the paper today is about how while Bush is visiting Canada he will not appear in front of our parliament. He is doing this to prevent being booed by our politicians (he was booed when he appeared in Australian parliament, and the decision to not appear in our parliament was made, apparently, “to avoid embarrassment.” When the world’s largest superpower no longer holds the respect of its allies, its government should feel embarrassed.
Then I look at the way children are marketed to now, and I get really scared. Since the dawn of the tween market and the media machine around Britney and Christina and all the clones, there has been this alarming trend of sexualizing little girls in a way that I find highly disturbing. Low-rise jeans and bra tops should not be made in sizes for eight year olds, and more alarmingly, there should simply not be a market for them. But they are, and there is. Then I think, a society that has no respect for childhood is inherently sick, and is set on self-destruct mode.
I feel that at this point in history, as a society we are flailing, that we are at a low level when it comes to respecting each others’ humanity. Yet, when I step back, I have to recognize how, pardon the French, it’s the same shit on a different day. I often worry that our society is headed towards a distopian future. Then, sometimes (though less often) I hope we’re headed toward utopia. In the end, when I look at history (as I have been a lot lately – I’m working on a piece that spans over more than 50 years) every violent swing towards bad is tempered by a swing to the good and an eventual middling out.