3rd attempt at a rational post. I'm not Anti-Canadian.
I didn't mean to imply that you are, nor do I think that you are Anti-Canadian. Also, I hope you’re not implying I’m being irrational, as I’m speaking from a very rational place, addressing the Canadian climate as it stands and as it is reflected in any form of Canadian media you want to refer to. I've always enjoyed your unique understanding of being American, AlohaDawg – it speaks to a point of view otherwise not represented on this board. That said, I also recognize that we come from very different ends of the political spectrum. While we can enjoy a respectful discussion of whether the current US government has disrespected Canada or not, I know we'll never come to agreement, and that's fine. I still welcome you to enjoy maple syrup.
To clairify:
Also true, though, is the right of a sovereign nation to create polices that are in the best interest of the nation and people. It sounds like you want us to make laws and policies to protect Canada. Sorry, but that is your parliament's job.
No, I never mentioned anything about any need for the US to make policies to protect Canada, I was attempting to speak to the current White House and its regular attempts to impose its will upon
Canadian policy. The clearest and harshest case is the attempt the US government made to force our country into the war, and the subsequent cold-shoulder when the Canadian government refused.
Would you say that the US has a responsibility to prop up your agriculture industry?
Our countries had a much healthier relationship of free flowing trade previous to the Bush administration. I seem to remember a Free Trade agreement. I seem to remember an attitude of pride and mutual respect on both sides of the border over what a healthy relationship our countries maintained. I'm not talking about "proping up" here, I'm talking about generations of both our countries happily importing and exporting goods, followed by a sudden paradigm shift that's taken an enormous toll - farmers already on ver verge now quitting farming altogether, never mind the numerous American multi-national companies that farmed in Canada now shutting down, leaving entire communities bankrupt.
Canada's government can act in the same ways; create trade barriers; enact policies that affect the US; act in rational self-interest at the expense of the US. Why doesn't it?
Well to sound like a hick - it wouldn't be neighborly, it wouldn't be respectful. And as you pointed out, the US is a superpower - my country has basically no choice but to be diplomatic - the pressure to conform to US policy is huge, yet we do still manage to maintain our own identity. But doesn't your country also have the responsibility to maintain diplomacy too? To look at Canada and say, hey this country's been in the top 5 countries for standards of living for decades and decades, and Canada supplies hydroelectric power to a large amount of the American population, and has control over the majority of North America's clean water supply -maybe this country is doing something right, and maybe we should be working to maintain a respectful relationship with this country?
This failure of diplomacy has had a drastic effect on the climate of my country. I hear things I've never heard before - I hear my peers saying they hate America, I see politicians on national TV stomping on George Bush dolls. I've never seen my country like this before, everyone is so disillusioned, so angry.