Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: favorite movies  (Read 12328 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
favorite movies
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2003, 09:24:55 pm »

Oh yea, I completely forgot Blade Runner, and Office Space. Ridley Scott destroyed BR with his directors cut. It was a noir movie, and he took that way from it, and have it a nasty ending, all glib and obvious! Bleah!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
favorite movies
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 01:31:40 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Oh yea, I completely forgot Blade Runner, and Office Space. Ridley Scott destroyed BR with his directors cut. It was a noir movie, and he took that way from it, and have it a nasty ending, all glib and obvious! Bleah!


    I just hate it because of the extra unicorn shot, which is supposed to make it clear that Deckard is a replicant.  Stupid.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2003, 01:36:51 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"

I just bought the super special event packed Python Holy Grail because I could (and couldn't live without it).


I rented it a couple of months ago.  It was great.  I'm going to buy it.  I promise.  As God as my witness, I swear to you that I will own this DVD.  Someday.

Until then, I'll be watching.  Watching and waiting. Waiting and watching.  and going to work, most days.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Guilty
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2003, 10:33:14 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
In the guilty pleasures category I'd have to through out The Jerk and Strange Brew.

Caddyshack is in there but I just don't feel guilty about that.

Rear Window is aces, and On the Waterfront has always fascinated me.

I just bought the super special event packed Python Holy Grail because I could (and couldn't live without it).

Oh, this will save me lots of time and energy, because I won't have to post to threads like this, because Asherdan will always be at least as cool as me and will be here first. Good lord, first GBH and now Jerk, Strange Brew, Caddyshack.

Well, Big Sleep, Casablanca (you can't not like it), Barton Fink, Hard Boiled, and Sid & Nancy - but only just this minute.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Guilty
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2003, 10:14:47 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Well, Big Sleep, Casablanca (you can't not like it), Barton Fink, Hard Boiled, and Sid & Nancy - but only just this minute.


Oh yea, I forgot to mention Barton Fink - wonderful film. And in many ways most of the other earlier Coen Brothers. I liked Oh Brother... but it wasn't the same as any before it.
And I just watched Amelie again. Stunning film. One of the few films, like Apocalypse Now, where every single second of every shot is artistically stunning. Thing is, if you are terribly averse to foreign films, especially French cinema, I wouldn't bother trying it. Try City of Lost Children first. Damn another one for the list.
Man there are too many great films, I never remember them all!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
favorite movies
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2003, 12:42:40 am »

What are these moving picture shows of which you speak?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
favorite movies
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2003, 03:21:02 am »

they're these new things in which you go to a theatre, and for two bits you see a news reel, the latest talkie, and have some change for a buttered air popped corn and a nice cool lemonade.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
favorite movies
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2003, 03:26:06 am »

The theater by my house serves beer.  We were trashed by the end of LOTR.  

I don't see many movies.  I hate them.  I just can't sit still that long.  I keep thinking of all the housework I'm not doing.  

Oddly, that doesn't happen when I'm on the internet.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
favorite movies
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2003, 03:38:47 am »

beer, in a theater?  amazing!

which reminds me of a movie, bringing this back on topic.  Ghost World is another awesome movie.  (I was reminded because of the scene where she's working in the movie theater, and the customer asks for a beer or something....  yeah)
also, I can't believe I left Annie Hall and Manhattan off of my list.  Woody Allen is one of my favorite directors, I could probably dedicate an entire topic to his films.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
favorite movies
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2003, 04:06:06 am »

Thought of some more:

The Stoned Age (The Schnappster -- DING!)
Slacker
Under the Volcano
His Gal Friday
The Manchurian Candidate ('bout the only thing Sinatra ever did that I liked)
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Little Big Man (the book is even better)
Up in Smoke
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
favorite movies
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2003, 02:06:53 pm »

See I avoided Ghost World under the If It Needs That Much Advertising It Can't Be Good law of media suckery. Sadly, I failed to take into account that most of this advertising was non-traditional and in places like EMusic.

Also, the 2nd-run theatre by me is one of those new fangled dinner theatres with beer and hamburgers.
Logged

monkeyb

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
favorite movies
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2003, 05:56:35 am »

"Big Man On Campus"
a rare/hard to find  quasimodo like fluffy treat
Logged
Beware the killer ***** armies of a woman scorned...

Mimosa VII

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
favorite movies
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2003, 10:04:09 am »

My standard list:

Citizen Kane (Welles)
Bonjour Tristesse (Preminger)
Le feu follet (Malle)
Masculin-Féminin (Godard)
Chinesisches Roulette (Fassbinder)
Dead Man (Jarmusch)

Of course, I like a lot other films. The list should include something by Visconti and Cassavates and many more.

Why do I post here?
Logged

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
favorite movies
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2003, 11:09:04 am »

Clerks
Leon
Do The Right Thing
Full Metal Jacket
Donnie Darko
Pulp Fiction
AI (no seriously - it is extremely awesome)
Ghost Dog
End Of Days
LOTR (all of them - probably)
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
favorite movies
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2003, 05:45:50 pm »

Pubdoggy, that is without a doubt the ugliest avatar I've ever seen.

It's uglier than than Kelly McGillis from one of my favourite movies, Top Gun (just to keep this on-topic).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up