Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How many times - 02/12/04  (Read 12884 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 07:20:32 pm »

What I got:

Yeah, Pat's a dick, and I enjoy it somehow. My question is, what is up with Téodor's left eye? It's like he's all broke up.

Also, Zartan, 500th post, it must be the week for milestones.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 07:31:55 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "foolio"
What's racist about his comment? It may be accurate or inaccurate; to tell you the truth I've never paid attention to Mexicans and their cars. But how is the comment racist?


It's racist in that it seems to be "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race or color is superior."  I don't know what Pat's race is, but if he's not Mexican and just being ironic, I'd say it was pretty racist.  Really, are you a closet racist?  "No, I just tell it like is."  I imagine that's how Pat would respond to such a question.  The real idea behind Pat's comment is that Mexicans are lazy.  You really don't see that as racist?


Except that 'Mexican' is an ethnicity, not a race. His comment may be xenophobic but not racist according to your definition. More importantly, this is a comic strip about a bunch of cartoon cats so before you guys start competetively writing yellow manifestos in the snow, let's all grab a big double handful of reality, shall we?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 08:05:34 pm »

Ha, I don't think anyone was really thinking Pat's a secret KKK member, I just think it's a weird part of his personality, that fits with the rest: of COURSE Pat has some really bizarre, random thing against Mexicans.
I like how Pat is also vaguely "liberal" (i.e., I pick up a lot of macrobiotic nutrients at Trader Joe's, a chain of socially-conscious grocery stores which carry a more enlightened line of product than your average Safeway or Albertson's.). but he's still a huge cock. Who the hell goes on about socially-conscious grocery stores when you're pissed at a dude for losing his foot?



Cock.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 08:25:31 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I like how Pat is also vaguely "liberal" (i.e., I pick up a lot of macrobiotic nutrients at Trader Joe's, a chain of socially-conscious grocery stores which carry a more enlightened line of product than your average Safeway or Albertson's.). but he's still a huge cock. Who the hell goes on about socially-conscious grocery stores when you're pissed at a dude for losing his foot?

Well he shops there but when he gets home he bitches about how all the customers walk around with iPods on and can't here you say "excuse me"*

Also I get the impression that Pat is just elitist in general. He shops at Trader Joe's so that he can casually point out that he shops at Trader Joe's. I'm sure this also has an immense effect on what movies he sees and where.


*this sweeping generalization brought to you by shopping at Whole Foods every week
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 08:44:05 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I like how Pat is also vaguely "liberal" (i.e., I pick up a lot of macrobiotic nutrients at Trader Joe's, a chain of socially-conscious grocery stores which carry a more enlightened line of product than your average Safeway or Albertson's.). but he's still a huge cock. Who the hell goes on about socially-conscious grocery stores when you're pissed at a dude for losing his foot?

Well he shops there but when he gets home he bitches about how all the customers walk around with iPods on and can't here you say "excuse me"*

Also I get the impression that Pat is just elitist in general. He shops at Trader Joe's so that he can casually point out that he shops at Trader Joe's. I'm sure this also has an immense effect on what movies he sees and where.


*this sweeping generalization brought to you by shopping at Whole Foods every week


Trader Joe's is a friggin' ripoff. I shop there occassionally but I don't trust a grocery store that doesn't have an on-site butcher and tank full of angry crustaceans. Via Whole Foods/Harris Teeter/Sutton Place Balducci's/Gourmet Giant (the latter may be regional)
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 08:53:04 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "foolio"
What's racist about his comment? It may be accurate or inaccurate; to tell you the truth I've never paid attention to Mexicans and their cars. But how is the comment racist?


It's racist in that it seems to be "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race or color is superior."  I don't know what Pat's race is, but if he's not Mexican and just being ironic, I'd say it was pretty racist.  Really, are you a closet racist?  "No, I just tell it like is."  I imagine that's how Pat would respond to such a question.  The real idea behind Pat's comment is that Mexicans are lazy.  You really don't see that as racist?


Except that 'Mexican' is an ethnicity, not a race. His comment may be xenophobic but not racist according to your definition. More importantly, this is a comic strip about a bunch of cartoon cats so before you guys start competetively writing yellow manifestos in the snow, let's all grab a big double handful of reality, shall we?


Oh, come on!  Now you're not even playing the game!  Anyway, race is such an elusive term.  In a class we are studying Nietzsche right now, and he uses the word race all the time to refer to what we now call ethnicity or even nationality.  More recently, I read a publisher's reaction to a harsh review of a book by a Swiss author.  The reviewer was called "racist against the Swiss."  It was a bogus claim because the reviewer wasn't bigoted in any way, but it was understood what the publisher meant.  It's not like there is a solid scientific defintion for what race is.  Or is there?

Also, I doubt racism developed because people felt bad about themselves.  There are lots of theories of what racism is and how it developed.  One interesting one is an economic theory, that it developed to justify slavery.  But today it generally means putting a race/ethnicity down by using stereotypes.

I didn't call Pat a racist.  At least I don't think I did.  He's a talking cat.  But the comment seems racist, or at least an example of thinly veiled racism (bigotry, whatever).

But yeah, he's a dick.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 08:54:24 pm »

My cats' breath smells like cat food.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 08:57:05 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Anyway, race is such an elusive term.  In a class we are studying Nietzsche right now, and he uses the word race all the time to refer to what we now call ethnicity or even nationality.  


Using Nietzsche (who, along with H.L. Mencken, is one of the coolest curmudgeons around) to justify applying race to ethnicity is a little fallacious. There's a reason why philology as a field is no more and has divorced into linguistics and ethnology.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 09:27:34 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Trader Joe's is a friggin' ripoff. I shop there occassionally but I don't trust a grocery store that doesn't have an on-site butcher and tank full of angry crustaceans. Via Whole Foods/Harris Teeter/Sutton Place Balducci's/Gourmet Giant (the latter may be regional)

I've heard several people list Harris Teeter as an upscale grocery store which always confuses me. The only HT I've ever been in was  no different than a Giant. Of course it was way nicer than the shit-hole they called Kroger.

I believe Giants are still regional. Until 3 years ago it was family-owned by somebody in Maryland. But a larger company bought them and made a few changes (notably adding Toys-R-Us aisles and self-check-outs) but I don't think they've expanded the brand much beyond the beltways.

Personally I think that Whole Foods without coffee/juice bars are just a cruel hoax and must be stopped.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2004, 09:32:22 pm »

Try living in a place where the biggest gourmet/natural food section is in . . . Safeway.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2004, 09:32:56 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Trader Joe's is a friggin' ripoff. I shop there occassionally but I don't trust a grocery store that doesn't have an on-site butcher and tank full of angry crustaceans. Via Whole Foods/Harris Teeter/Sutton Place Balducci's/Gourmet Giant (the latter may be regional)

I've heard several people list Harris Teeter as an upscale grocery store which always confuses me. The only HT I've ever been in was  no different than a Giant. Of course it was way nicer than the shit-hole they called Kroger.

I believe Giants are still regional. Until 3 years ago it was family-owned by somebody in Maryland. But a larger company bought them and made a few changes (notably adding Toys-R-Us aisles and self-check-outs) but I don't think they've expanded the brand much beyond the beltways.

Personally I think that Whole Foods without coffee/juice bars are just a cruel hoax and must be stopped.


Harris Teeter has higher-quality produce IMO; they sell sashimi-grade giraffe (ask their giraffe counter!) which is generally a sign of swank. Plus they have the imported beer section where you can buy a variety of belgian fruitlambics and He-Brew, the Chosen Beer (comes in two varieties; Genesis Ale and Messiah Stout. No, I am not kidding). I am referring to the one in Reston.

Hands down, the best place still are the gourmet giants.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004, 09:35:10 pm »

Not to get back on topic or anything but...  I am glad horrible Pat is back.  Is that wrong?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2004, 09:38:53 pm »

Not to veer dangerously back off-topic, but sometimes, Bobby, I wish your avatar was that picture of you at the show that you posted a while back.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 09:39:43 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Not to get back on topic or anything but...  I am glad horrible Pat is back.  Is that wrong?


Only if you fail to show your exuberance as such:

http://www.robo-christ.com/gallery/streamimage.php?path=L3JhbmRvbSBhd2Vzb21lISEhLzEwOTk4MDMwNDU3MDcuZ2lm
YOU ARE WARNED
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
How many times - 02/12/04
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2004, 09:54:19 pm »

I still haven't been to the new Wegman's in Sterling. My parents swear by it always seems to damned crowded. Plus it's like a half-hour away from my new place.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up