Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Macintosh Plus/Classic  (Read 10919 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 10:02:30 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I only mention this because I did play Nuclear War. I played this game a lot. It is just as absurd and awesome as the screenshots suggest; try it, won't you?

EDIT: You can't actually download it from that last link, dammit.


Thank you so much for that link.  For quite a while I've been trying to remember the name of that cool war game I played on my first PC, but couldn't figure it out until I took advantage of The Underdog's sort by year feature.  The game was Command HQ, and I think it may have been my favorite computer war game of all time.  You could play in many different time frames, and it even included nukes that would actually take territory out of the game.  I think I'll be downloading this tonight to see if it's as good as I remember it being.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 10:49:11 pm »

Alas, I cannot go there (blockpage - thank you, evil corporate overlords) but I hope to when I get home.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 08:31:26 am »

My Apple II memories are "In Search Of The Most Amazing Thing", "Alice's Adventures", "Below The Root", and some Conan thing for the IIc. Of these, Below The Root is the only one I really wish I could figure out how to emulate and play again.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 02:46:03 pm »

I had that Conan thing, too. Man, I can barely remember that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2004, 02:53:47 pm »

my tale of computer generated games is one of woe and evil tidings, beware kind souls lest ye be forever scarred:

2nd half of 2nd grade or 1st half of 3rd grade, apple II products of some sort.  the "game" was not a game, but it seemed as such, but in actuality it was trying to teach rudimentary _something_, be it math or programing or something.  i believe it was called "log*" wherin *="something", logo, logus, i dunno.  you were a "turtle", a turtle represented by a "triangle".  you would command the triangle, no wait, the TURTLE to move about the screen.  sometimes there would be pieces of paper with a MAZE on them that you could tape to the SCREEN.

the only thing that truly stood with me from that experience, was that STATIC ELECTRICITY IS BAD.  to this day i'm not sure if it's merely urban legend in mah haid that the underside of the keyboard "area" on a II was grounded or whether they were designed that way.

i have vague memories of, from that era, seeing empire strikes back and playing on some neighbor kid's atair 5200 once.  but that would have been, uh, 83? 84?  my memories are shot.

in 7th grade, i received my first gaming console for christmas.  my parents were so proud to extend to me an atari 7800.  to this day i have a 50/50 ratio of loathing and lust when presented with the icon of mario.

as a freshmen in highschool, i was able to play oregon trail on another II series.  these were quite the "aparatus" at warren county highschool.  they were used for english class (????) and also for a programming class.  i lost a letter grade in that class because i was subjected to punishments for being beat up.  to this day i still want to find out how the 15 or so II's shared a disk system.  was this an OEM apple feature, or had some industrious third party hacked the II system to support a shared resource!  indeed.

at the last high school, we utilized ibm all-in-one clones, and some horrific pascal compiler.  i received, from a family friend, a used MAc 512K.  even though my friend's pc, with a hard drive!, could play relevant games such as football!, i was struck by the notion that it sucked.  and the notion that computers suck has stayed with me as well.

then i went to "college" for "computers" and things just sort of went to hell.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 03:09:22 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
2nd half of 2nd grade or 1st half of 3rd grade, apple II products of some sort.  the "game" was not a game, but it seemed as such, but in actuality it was trying to teach rudimentary _something_, be it math or programing or something.  i believe it was called "log*" wherin *="something", logo, logus, i dunno.  you were a "turtle", a turtle represented by a "triangle".  you would command the triangle, no wait, the TURTLE to move about the screen.  sometimes there would be pieces of paper with a MAZE on them that you could tape to the SCREEN.


You speak of Logo, which is not a game, but is nothing less than the MOST POWERFUL PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.  

Well, I liked it anyway.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 03:27:43 pm »

I remember logo but could never (and still can't) visualize angles and whatnot so I sucked at getting the turtle to to what I wanted.

My main memories are of * Muncher and Oregon Trail. I also remember the older kids playing this sprawling first-person adventure/RPG game that required a 4' poster with a map of an island to be posted in the computer room. I so wanted to play that game but moved to another school that didn't have it before I was old enough. I'm convinced this memory is the only reason I got into Final Fantasy/Earthbound/&c.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 03:37:36 pm »

Wow. Logo!
We were made to use it at school, just as a kind of, fun learning experience. Most of the kids would make fairly simple things. I would sent entire evenings with a book of graph paper making the most ludicrously complex jet-fighters and the like, then spend an hour knocking it up in Logo.
Never really used the turtle though, as that was in the years 1-3 side of the school (room - 29 was the most people we ever had there I think. 7 years of it too. It ruled!).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 04:18:15 pm »

Ma bought me an Atari, 5200 I think. Basically all I remember is that it had actual arcade games, just like in the arcade! I liked Defender and Joust.

Now I have a little GBA for plane flights. I have a set of four games - Defender/*****ron/Joust/that damn space game where a giant head comes after you - that just suck on it. Earth to video game people - you can't play arcade games on such a tiny screen. My experience so far is that you can only play RPGs and Monopoly on it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2004, 05:03:04 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Now I have a little GBA for plane flights. I have a set of four games - Defender/*****ron/Joust/that damn space game where a giant head comes after you - that just suck on it. Earth to video game people - you can't play arcade games on such a tiny screen. My experience so far is that you can only play RPGs and Monopoly on it.

<tetris.wav>
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2004, 05:09:51 pm »

Tetris sort of annoys me. What would be my dream would be for them to have Risk on it, but that game is hardly conducive to a screen the size of a nicotine patch.

Fuck cliches.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2004, 05:17:58 pm »

I did some "Summer School for the Precocious" thing back in the early 1980's, and it was all about Logo. There were smarter, older kids who were doing rad things like making pictures of airplanes and pulsing sunbursts and such; I'm pretty sure that these required algebra. I was happy making basic geometric shapes and playing Digger on the PCjr.

BUT

Logo could be used to control TOPO. TOPO was a Real Rob[size=0] [/size]ot. He would say whatever you typed in ("pizza" came out "pih-ziz-uh") and move around on the floor. TOPO was, pretty much, the coolest thing I had ever seen, and proof that the Future really was Now.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2004, 05:24:25 pm »

Zelda: Link's Awakening worked surprisingly well on the original Game Boy's tiny screen. It wasn't too busy and had a nice overall style to the art. Plus Link could jump!
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2004, 05:25:55 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Ma bought me an Atari, 5200 I think. Basically all I remember is that it had actual arcade games, just like in the arcade! I liked Defender and Joust.



the main thing that i remember about the 5200 was the controller.  1, it had TWO buttons.  2, it had a NUMBER PAD on the controller.  so you could, i guess, use numbers.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Macintosh Plus/Classic
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2004, 05:50:45 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
the main thing that i remember about the 5200 was the controller.  1, it had TWO buttons.  2, it had a NUMBER PAD on the controller.  so you could, i guess, use numbers.


Was this the one where games came with inserts you could put over the number pad?  I think a house I was babysat at used to have one of those, but I never got to play with it.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up