Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Dwarf  (Read 2330 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Red Dwarf
« on: December 08, 2004, 06:59:12 pm »

I was about to post comments on Red Dwarf in one of the comic threads, but decided to split it over here.  

Two things were brought to my attention yesterday:

Red Dwarf Prop Charity Auction

Also, Doug Naylor has been working on putting together a Red Dwarf movie for quite some time, and last I heard it was going to start shooting in January.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Red Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 07:09:58 pm »

I know seasons 5 and 6 will be released in the US soon so I'm all about that. On their site a couple months ago they had an interview about the path the movie has taken and all the studios who picked it up only to drop it again.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Red Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 08:06:55 pm »

Doug Naylor making the movie. Hrmmmmmm.

See. I love Red Dwarf. I have an undying affection for it. Only it died.
Up until season 6 I think (I can never quite remember where it was, but basically bringing in that damned woman as Kochanski... ugh), I loved. The first two novels, I love. Backwards, the novel by Rob Grant, I thought was pretty good.
Unfortunately then everything Doug Naylor did without Grant I haven't really liked. It just seemed a bit limp. The comedy was too... I don't know, it just seemed to be about the Dwayne Dibley jokes and badly timed slapstick. That and the fact that they went back on everything that had made Red Dwarf so great. I mean, bringing the crew back?
So, unfortunately my DVD collection will probably only spell out Red Dwar.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Red Dwarf
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 08:20:46 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
So, unfortunately my DVD collection will probably only spell out Red Dwar.


Well, that's sad to hear.  I remember fondly watching in college, but I don't think we started watching from the beginning, and I don't think we caught more than a season or two.  I did just add Seasons 1-4 to my Netflix queue so I can get caught up.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Red Dwarf
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 08:44:36 pm »

To be fair they only added Kochanski because Chris Barrie (Rimmer) had other commitments. Plus she was way hotter than the original actor and it led to more Ace Rimmer fun.

The reconstructed RD episodes could be a little off. And some seemed to have special effects shots just for the sake of having them (dancing Blue Midget, anyone?) but some were still strong. Cassandra is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series (Back to Reality still wins).

Also, in the U.S. the spines don't line up like that. Which sucks. I also seem to remember them releasing cheaper versions of the DVDs sans extra features but I could be confusing RD with another series.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Red Dwarf
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 09:56:42 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

The reconstructed RD episodes could be a little off. And some seemed to have special effects shots just for the sake of having them (dancing Blue Midget, anyone?) but some were still strong. Cassandra is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series (Back to Reality still wins).


Fortunately for the DVD releases over here they completely ditched their remastered versions. Is that not the case over there? I'm not quite sure from what you said...

Oh, and I did see over here the other day that they are doing the cheaper versions. It was a couple of seasons in one I think, without the special gubbins. I thought it was a pretty neat idea actually. I'm sure there was something in particular about it that made it seem different from just a 'without the extras' collection, but I can't remember what it might have been.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Red Dwarf
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 11:47:01 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

The reconstructed RD episodes could be a little off. And some seemed to have special effects shots just for the sake of having them (dancing Blue Midget, anyone?) but some were still strong. Cassandra is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series (Back to Reality still wins).

Fortunately for the DVD releases over here they completely ditched their remastered versions. Is that not the case over there? I'm not quite sure from what you said....

The DVDs over here are exactly the same other than cover art. By "reconstructed RD episodes" I meant "the episodes after the nanobots rebuilt Red Dwarf."
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Red Dwarf
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 12:38:20 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

The DVDs over here are exactly the same other than cover art. By "reconstructed RD episodes" I meant "the episodes after the nanobots rebuilt Red Dwarf."


Ah right yes. They released VHS versions a few years back where they redid all the special effects (badly) and added in new ones. They also replaced the intro music on the first couple of seasons with the later version, which I was scared they might keep on the DVD release. I always thought the original opening was brilliant.
But yeah. The special effects in the last two (I think) seasons were nasty. They, well, weren't even very good, and just, exactly like you said, seemed to be there because they could be.
Personally I was just always left feeling that Grant was the one with integrity and wisdom, and the more interesting ideas, and the better sense of humour, and... I saw he has a new book out, and it seemed like it could be quite cool. Not got round to picking it up yet though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up