Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 9 Dec 04 · Price optional  (Read 7733 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Franz.

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« on: December 09, 2004, 01:33:54 pm »

Is the Stick Corner possible?

Yours truly

[ Franz. ]
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 01:37:56 pm »

Not even remotely.

I love the inset, bottom left, on the violent teacher. Great picture!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 01:55:45 pm »

I'm suddenly reminded of my school serving salmon nuggets during Lent. It was quite disturbing.
Logged

Franz.

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 01:56:58 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm suddenly reminded of my school serving salmon nuggets during Lent. It was quite disturbing.


Salmon nuggets?
Logged

6tm

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 01:57:59 pm »

I'm just a little bit unnerved by the cat-wife-beater photo... It doesn't seem right, with the whole, "a photo is not a cartoon".

Though the caption fits perfectly.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 02:09:19 pm »

I love the assholish way Beef asks questions which imply foregone conclusions. In a court of law he'd be "leading the witness."

Your obligatory Scandinavian camp video (oldie but goodie)

Yes, those are actually the Sunshine girls singing.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 03:14:32 pm »

Quote from: "Franz."
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm suddenly reminded of my school serving salmon nuggets during Lent. It was quite disturbing.

Salmon nuggets?

They were breaded on the outside but pink on the inside! With tartar sauce for dippin'!
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:20:11 pm »

The stick corner was absolutely rad, but I second being creeped out by the teacher-cat being a photograph.  Oh, and by salmon nuggets.
Logged
goose means greedy

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 04:32:54 pm »

One day of this=rad
2 or more=not rad
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: 9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 06:04:24 pm »

Quote from: "Franz."
Is the Stick Corner possible?

Yours truly

[ Franz. ]


No, but it is genius.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 06:05:26 pm »

Is it wrong that I think salmon nuggets could be rad?

Anyway, the teacher-cat being a photograph somehow fits to me. It kind of works with the general Drudge Report aesthetic of the publication. I'm confused by the cartoon cat in the witch's hat -- is this the Achewood Unified High mascot?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 06:25:37 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Is it wrong that I think salmon nuggets could be rad?


Me too.  I think I'll make salmon croquettes this weekend.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 06:58:34 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Spouse does something similiar to this with salmon, although with a little more of that 'seasoning' and 'spices' thing that makes it excellent.  This leads me to thing salmon nug's could be OK.

But not in an institutional serving setting.

No way, that is ass.

Exactly. I firmly believe that all cafeteria food should be misspelled like Cheeze Whiz. Calling them salmon nuggets might lead people to believe that they taste like salmon. However if the menu listed "sammon nuggets" then people would be better prepared for the horrors that awaited them.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 06:59:53 pm »

I really like institutional food. I like scrambled eggs served with an ice cream scoop. I like rectangles of pizza with perfect, tiny little cubes of "pepperoni".  I like the compromise between the taste of Real Food and approximated Food Flavor that is the Nugget. And I love the Filet O'giraffe's uglier sister.

The photo is creepy on a couple of levels; Achewood's stabs at realism (the landscapes in "Philippe Kidnapped", Onstad's ongoing logo fetishism) have all been within the currently existing aesthetic. So, yeah, the reminder that these are supposed to be real cats leading these secret humanesque Underground lives is a little jarring. It doesn't help that Onstad picked a cat that looks like a methamphetamine-inspired hybrid of cat and chihuahua.

"Ask for Thank You" = awesome.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 07:23:22 pm »

I was entertained. I would actually love for Onstad to write up a bunch of these one-shots and throw them up on days when there otherwise wouldn't have been any strip at all.

I also don't mind toying with the reality of the strip. It's like baby Stewie, sometimes the family can understand him other times not. Ray appearing to drive a tiny, cat-sized Escalade while Beef's car appears to be human sized doesn't bother me. In the past he generally made photographs appear more like drawings. Like the on the Emeril box. Maybe if he'd done that with the cat people wouldn't be so creeped out.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up